Teaching of evolution to become mandatory under new British Primary School curriculum

Page 1 of 2
Primary school children in England will have to learn about evolution and British history under a shake-up of the national curriculum.

Schools Minister Vernon Coaker says the subjects will be compulsory elements of a new primary school curriculum being introduced in 2011.

Scientists and humanists had lobbied ministers for the inclusion of evolution in the theme-based timetable.

History is already compulsory, but there were fears it would be sidelined.

Schools will not be told which parts of British history to teach.

Andrew Copson of the BHA said: "This is excellent news. Evolution is arguably the most important concept underlying the life sciences.

"Providing children with an understanding of it an early age will help lay the foundations for a surer scientific understanding later on."

He added: "Public authorities clearly need to do more to tackle the growing threat to the public's understanding of science from creationist-inspired beliefs and other pseudoscience".

Evolution is already taught in secondary schools and many primary schools, but under the curriculum changes, it will become compulsory for primary pupils, with the recommendation that they are taught the subject in their later years at school.

The new curriculum says schools must "investigate and explain how plants and animals are interdependent and are diverse and adapted to their environment by natural selection".

Professor Sir Martin Taylor, vice-president of the Royal Society, said: "We are delighted to see evolution explicitly included in the primary curriculum.

"One of the most remarkable achievements of science over the last two hundred years has been to show how humans and all other organisms on the earth arose through the process of evolution."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/8369172.stm

Jolly good show old chaps.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Oh nnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooo ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Ruuuuuuuuuun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for your lives!
If Evolution wasn't bullcrap this would be fine.

It's about damned time. Creationism should NEVER be taught in Biology like I've heard happen. Creationism is a BELIEF. Evolution is SCIENCE. They should both be taught by their respective subjects. It is ridiculous that it has taken so long for this to happen.
Last edited by boreamor at Nov 20, 2009,
That's ridiculous, we can't teach students evolution, what if they deny creationism?!!?

WELL!?!

Sounds awesome though.
About time that England finally does something right.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by boreamor

It's about damned time. Creationism should NEVER be taught in Biology like I've heard happen. Creationism is a BELIEF. Creationism is SCIENCE. They should both be taught by their respective subjects. It is ridiculous that it has taken so long for this to happen.

Might want to fix that
Up The Boro!
Huzzah!!!
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
good to see the brits have it right! i don't understand how creationism is taught in some schools in the US. thats like teaching fairy tales to kids and calling it science. It just goes to show though, america isn't as advanced and smart as they like to think.
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Quote by wesselbindt
Wasn't it mandatory before? What the ****?

Probably not in Primary schools.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
The problem I see with this though is that very religious teachers will probably teach it as a theory, whereas it should be taught as fact.
hello
Quote by wesselbindt
Wasn't it mandatory before? What the ****?

not that i know of (i went to catholic school and they weren't sposed to really teach it as fact or tell you about contraception but the teachers did anyway) but it is basically taught, i do however know of a private academy in Newcastle owned by Reg Verdy that teaches creationism and other obsurdities

it's all well and good sorting out the national curriculum but whilst private schools and academies are allowed to set their own bullsh!t will still be prevelent
Last edited by imthehitcher at Nov 20, 2009,
Quote by jordanzio
thats like teaching fairy tales to kids and calling it science..

It is teaching fairy tales to kids and calling it science.
Quote by imthehitcher
no but it is basically taight, i do however know of a private academy in Newcastle owned by Reg Verdy that teaches creationism and other obsurdities

it's all well and good sorting out the national curriculum but whilst private schools and academies are allowed to set their own bullsh!t will still be prevelent

Can they do that there, as far as I know even private schools here have to teach the national curriculum.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Can they do that there, as far as I know even private schools here have to teach the national curriculum.

they set their own and have it approved by whatever QUANGO oversees that sort of thing.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Untrue I'm afraid, I went to a private school which didn't.
Up The Boro!
Quote by Oddsbodkins
Untrue I'm afraid, I went to a private school which didn't.

private or public school?
the system is so very strange that there is actually quite a difference in the two
Meh, bible=fairytale?

The bible is a piece of merchandise from medieval times, not your lifes guidebook.

Also, I like black.

Quote by Holy Katana
WTF? Why wasn't it already mandatory?

Because it was seen as too complex a topic to bother teaching young children?
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by imthehitcher
they set their own and have it approved by whatever QUANGO oversees that sort of thing.

Im at private school doing my final year of A levels. The school can only teach their own curriculum for the first three years seeing as GCSEs and A levels are NATIONAL exams and are standardised against every other pupil of that age group in the country. So no, they cant teach whatever the hell they want.

I wish they could though, some of the things we have to learn are ridiculous.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by imthehitcher
private or public school?
the system is so very strange that there is actually quite a difference in the two

Kind of alternative .
Technically I think it's private, although since I left it's now state funded and now has to follow some parts of the curriculum.
Up The Boro!
How complex is evolution?
"Christianity is bad and were deformed monkeys."
As simple as it gets.

Also, I like black.

Quote by magnus_maximus
We're talking about PRIMARY schools, not secondary schools. It's always been taught in secondary schools.

It's not taught in primary schools in the US, either, but I just figured it was because of the US being ultrareligious.
Quote by charlie__flynn
Im at private school doing my final year of A levels. The school can only teach their own curriculum for the first three years seeing as GCSEs and A levels are NATIONAL exams and are standardised against every other pupil of that age group in the country. So no, they cant teach whatever the hell they want.

I wish they could though, some of the things we have to learn are ridiculous.

again i asked before, is it public of private school? i meant public schools (like Eton or Harrow) and academies- schools sponsered by private individuals or business.
are allowed to teach their own subjects- in teh same way Catholic schools are allowed to teach RE

EDIT:
Kind of alternative . Technically I think it's private, although since I left it's now state funded and now has to follow some parts of the curriculum.

wow that is alternative i've never heard of that before. i believe it falls under the bracket of private, as oppose dto public schools which cost even more to attend
Last edited by imthehitcher at Nov 20, 2009,
cool?

over here in New York, even in Catholic Schools, Evolution is taught

i didn't know there were schools that flat out refused to teach it.

Quote by Dawnwalker
As simple as it gets.

What
The
Fuck
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Nov 20, 2009,
Quote by Dawnwalker
As simple as it gets.

I... I'm lost for words.
hello
Quote by jordanzio
good to see the brits have it right! i don't understand how creationism is taught in some schools in the US. thats like teaching fairy tales to kids and calling it science. It just goes to show though, america isn't as advanced and smart as they like to think.

Creationism isn't taught in US public schools.
again i asked before, is it public of private school? i meant public schools (like Eton or Harrow) and academies- schools sponsered by private individuals or business.
are allowed to teach their own subjects- in teh same way Catholic schools are allowed to teach RE

Its a private school
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by Holy Katana
It is in Kansas.

From Wiki
"On February 13, 2007, the Kansas State Board of Education approved a new curriculum which removed any reference to Intelligent Design as part of science. In the words of Dr Bill Wagnon, the board chairman, "Today the Kansas Board of Education returned its curriculum standards to mainstream science". The new curriculum, as well as a document outlining the differences with the previous curriculum, has been posted on the Kansas State Department of Education's website."

I don't know if I remember this right but didn't the Supreme Court say that teaching creationism in public schools was unconstitutional?
Last edited by Masamune at Nov 20, 2009,
Good. No doubt Dawkins just had a bit of a jizzle.

What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

Page 1 of 2