Page 2 of 8
Best acoustic I've ever played for less than $1000....Wechter....they have some amazing instruments
YAMAHA DROP 6
DIEZEL STRAIGHT FRONT 4X12 CAB
DEDICATED MONSTER CABLE USER!!!

All equipment is for sale!!! email at jennings.michael.b@gmail.com
Im looking for a new guitar to play stuff like Nick Drake and Robert Johnson on..
Any tips?
Thanks
Quote by angusfan16
I got ass-raped but your story beats mine.

My Gear:
Ibanez SA 240FM
Marshall Modell 8100
Can I just add a little piece of advice for the first-time buyer?

The final decision is yours and yours alone. It's always good to get help and advice from more experienced friends. But at the end of the day, it is your guitar not theirs. You don't buy a guitar because it looks cool, or because it has a particular brand on the headstock, or because you want to impress your friends. Let's be honest, these are definitely factors that might influence your decision. But first and foremost you want a guitar that sounds good (to your ears) and feels right (to your hands). No matter how inexperienced you are, your own instincts should really be the deciding factor.
Quote by Tyberious Funk
The final decision is yours and yours alone. It's always good to get help and advice from more experienced friends. But at the end of the day, it is your guitar not theirs. You don't buy a guitar because it looks cool, or because it has a particular brand on the headstock, or because you want to impress your friends. Let's be honest, these are definitely factors that might influence your decision. But first and foremost you want a guitar that sounds good (to your ears) and feels right (to your hands). No matter how inexperienced you are, your own instincts should really be the deciding factor.

Without a doubt. Take heed of this, readers.
if your having trouble choosing one, just go into the shop, play with everyone there, and buy the best feeling one, make sure its not too dear though, unless your actually getting in to music
joshwaandosun =]
Martin D-18 is the perfect guitar. Not over-priced, it has the structural intergrity to last a lifetime while producing some of the sweetest melodies I've ever played. It's like me, flash can be wasted on Gaga. The music's what counts and the D-18 will do it son.
Fender JMCM Stratocaster
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Ibanez TS808 Vintage Reissue
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
i am looking to buy my daughter an acoustic electric guitar.i am a drummer and do not have a lot of experience buying guitars.my budget is about 400 and dont want a cheap one because she can play very good for a 15 yr old.she still has some trouble chording my wifes tok. any suggetions would b helpful thanks.
Quote by ebm302
i am looking to buy my daughter an acoustic electric guitar.i am a drummer and do not have a lot of experience buying guitars.my budget is about 400 and dont want a cheap one because she can play very good for a 15 yr old.she still has some trouble chording my wifes tok. any suggetions would b helpful thanks.

A Seagull S6 Entourage would probably suit her nicely. It's just a simple, inexpensive, good sounding guitar.
Quote by fsb_ben
I haven't been here in FOREVER but I must say, excellent job expanding on what we previous had GC Shred Off! Kudos.

The forum-goers did most of the work and you put together that list of guitars. I just revised it.

Thanks for the kind words though.
Quote by maha234
When you buy a new acoustic guitar you need to be very careful the first several years that they don’t dry out or get too much humidity. Why? The wood hasn’t settled into its cured state yet.

Nah.

...but what a clever ad-bot!
@GC shred off

You've forgotten the taylor 114 ce in the $701-$1300 class
I have got for about 3 weeks now and I have to say:
Man what a nice guitar!!!
just married my new guitar -->taylor 114!
All swans in England are the property of the queen or king
Hi Guys,

i just bought a Yamaha FGX730SCE from guitar-center for 499.
And i found that Fender also sports a good guitar of similar type DG200SCE. and really found good reviews on that.
both got solid spruce top and rosewood body.
moreover fender has gold tuners and fishmen pickup. and 100 bucks cheaper.
please guys help me. i am so so confused.

thanks in advance.

rahul
Hey,

The way i see it is, whatever guitar your comfortable with you should buy, once it has good sound and is easy to play for you thats all you need, ive still got my guitar i started out with and it was a really low budget guitar but i still love playing it
Ive been playing for only a month, and i really need a different guitar. When my brother moved out i was left with his Lyon "Washburn" acoustic walmart guitar, and i can barely play it. Im a girl, 15, and from the base of my palm to the tip of my middle finger is about 5&3/4". So basically, i have toddler hands, and i cant play any bar chords, or chords that require i use all 4 fingers. I was wondering if i'm just whining like all the other newbs, or if i could really benefit from a smaller guitar, thanks.
I know the guitar I have now is pretty crappy. It's right above what someone might buy a five year-old to shut them up singing a song from Sesame Street. However, I'm wondering what would be good for a relatively small person who wants a somewhat bassy, dark sound. I dig the dreadnought style (I think that's pretty much all you're going to get for any sound worth listening to on an acoustic), but the one I have is humungo...
well i play electric and i want an acoustic maybe even a 12 string and i'm not really sure how much a decent acoustic should cost so any suggestions? oh and also i'm kinda freaked out about how everyone says it sucks going from electrics to acoustics, is it really that bad cause i played one with like an inch of action and it didn't seem that bad but that might just be because i have like gorilla hands.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Quote by grungebaby
well i play electric and i want an acoustic maybe even a 12 string and i'm not really sure how much a decent acoustic should cost so any suggestions?

Spending just over $300 US will get you a pretty good, fully-functional acoustic. Another $100 will get you a similar guitar with built-in electronics.

Quote by grungebaby
i'm kinda freaked out about how everyone says it sucks going from electrics to acoustics

It doesn't suck at all. The only people who complain about it are little whiny girlies.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Jun 28, 2010,
Well now that you play an electric, I would recommend you to get a Washburn D10S .

Typically the neck of acoustic guitars is thicker than that of any electric guitar. Thus many guys who switch from electric to acoustic say it sucks to play.

But the Washburn D10s has the thinnest neck amongst all acoustic guitars and you almost feel like playing the electric guitar.

and the sound is amazing and it fits into your budget (I guess it is somewhere less than USD300)

Read out more about this guitar here: Washburn D10S review .

Last edited by bha100710 at Jul 7, 2010,
Hey guys. I play mostly electric and I've been starting to think about getting an electric-acoustic guitar. I don't want to spend too much money on this thing, but my price range is flexible. I'd be willing to spend from about 300-400$, maybe more, maybe less if I can find something of good quality for that price.

I don't know much about electric-acoustics, so I'd like to have some suggestions on what brands/models I should check out. I'd like to have an idea of what to look for, what to try for next time I go to the guitar shop to avoid getting attacked by a sales clerk and played into buying something that's mediocre or not very bang-for-the-buck by simply being oblivous to what I want and having GAS.

Thanks in advance!
UG's AC/DC Lover
Quote by Rocker_94
I'd like to have an idea of what to look for, what to try for next time I go to the guitar shop to avoid getting attacked by a sales clerk

Next time you go, just ask the clerk to leave you on your own for a bit. They'll never say no.

If you're just testing the acoustic waters, get a standard acoustic with no built-in electronics. They can always be added later if you find you desperately need them (which most do not). Seagull and Blueridge make nice stuff, but play everything you can find at least once. Once you've isolated a few that you're into, then start worrying about the specifics.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Jul 13, 2010,
The OP seems to hate on Ibanez acoustics a bit... any reason for that? I'm considering buying an ibanez ew this afternoon... anyone have an opinion on it?
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
The OP seems to hate on Ibanez acoustics a bit... any reason for that? I'm considering buying an ibanez ew this afternoon... anyone have an opinion on it?

I don't hate them really, it's just that they generally have few redeeming qualities (beyond looks) that would classify them as a "better" guitar than anything else in their price range. They've made an ugly habit of snagging electric players who are "making the switch" by trying to use their famous name and "exotic" woods. I wouldn't say they make bad instruments, but they certainly go about marketing them in a misleading way. It seems a bit tasteless to me.

That said, if you've found one that you like, buy it and don't think twice about it. The important thing is that you've made your own opinion on it after trying it out and aren't being sold by names or looks. You'll never go wrong if you buy what you like.
Quote by GC Shred Off
I don't hate them really, it's just that they generally have few redeeming qualities (beyond looks) that would classify them as a "better" guitar than anything else in their price range. They've made an ugly habit of snagging electric players who are "making the switch" by trying to use their famous name and "exotic" woods. I wouldn't say they make bad instruments, but they certainly go about marketing them in a misleading way. It seems a bit tasteless to me.

That said, if you've found one that you like, buy it and don't think twice about it. The important thing is that you've made your own opinion on it after trying it out and aren't being sold by names or looks. You'll never go wrong if you buy what you like.

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and bought the EW and so far I love it. I'll be gigging with her friday for the first time so we'll see how she holds up.
I hate my sig
My suggestion to this thread is to add a section about different types of wood. I have been researching Seagull guitars for a long time and couldn't tell the difference between the spruce top S6 and the cedar one for $30 more. It took actually playing them side by side for a long time to notice the subtle difference-

Cedar is a softer wood, and will scratch more easily than spruce
Spruce is harmonically more fundamental than Cedar
Cedar is more harmonically complex, with deeper overtones
Spruce stands up a bit better to flat-picking as Cedar can distort when picked hard, while Cedar has more depth for finger-picking because of the harmonic complexity.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
My suggestion to this thread is to add a section about different types of wood. I have been researching Seagull guitars for a long time and couldn't tell the difference between the spruce top S6 and the cedar one for $30 more. It took actually playing them side by side for a long time to notice the subtle difference

I would, but it would add to the whole "intimidation factor" in buying a first guitar. It's important, sure, but I don't want to encourage any more "OMMGGZZZ-NOOO-my-guitar-is-cedar-not-spruce-is-that-OK?" threads. It's too hard to generalize how certain woods sound anyways, so it's always better to try everything.

But if everyone is really curious, maybe I'll put a link to some nice resources.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Jul 23, 2010,
Quote by Rocker_94
Hey guys. I play mostly electric and I've been starting to think about getting an electric-acoustic guitar. I don't want to spend too much money on this thing, but my price range is flexible. I'd be willing to spend from about 300-400$, maybe more, maybe less if I can find something of good quality for that price.

I don't know much about electric-acoustics, so I'd like to have some suggestions on what brands/models I should check out. I'd like to have an idea of what to look for, what to try for next time I go to the guitar shop to avoid getting attacked by a sales clerk and played into buying something that's mediocre or not very bang-for-the-buck by simply being oblivous to what I want and having GAS.

Thanks in advance!

for a former electric guitar player, in my opinion Ovation acoustic-electric guitar is the most suited one
The greatest acoustic guitars i have ever had are Cole Clarks. they are made in Melbourne, Australia and are all solid timber. They absolutely poo on all the Maton's, Martin's and such other guitars in the similar price range ($1000-$3000). I am the proud owner of a Cole Clark FL1AC($1250) and it is the most beautiful thing ever created. they may cost a bit to import to America, but i think there are dealers over there so they are more than worth checking out if you can. They are also created from sustainable timber. the tops are made of Bunya normally, which actually sounds better than spruce, and is better for the environment as it take 400 years to grow enough spruce for a guitar, but it only takes 20 to grow the same amount of Bunya. please consider this. And Jack Johnson uses them, along with many other famous guitarists.
Hello

I have played electric guitar for about one and a half year but I would like an acoustic guitar to practice my chords.
By luck I found my brothers old guitar in the attic which is an Esteve Granados 1.
I'm not sure whether this is a decent guitar or not..
However its not in an extremely good shape after eating dust for 6 years.
The strings are rusted and there are a few dents in the woodwork.

Is it worth getting this guitar repaired and restringed or should I look for a new one?

thanks for reading

Dresse
I've heard nothing but good about Carvin's electric instruments, but can't recall seeing anything about their acoustics, anybody have any experience with them?
Quote by MightyAl
Back in my day, the teacher had to come to my tribe's village and inspect my cave-paintings in person.
For some reason, he thought the bison I painted was his mother, and gave me an F.

It wasn't my fault they look so similar.
Didn't even know they made acoustics. What's your price range?
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.