Page 3 of 8
I ask more out of curiosity. I am looking to buy a first acoustic soon, but I wouldn't spend $1500 or even think about ordering a custom at this point.
Quote by MightyAl
Back in my day, the teacher had to come to my tribe's village and inspect my cave-paintings in person.
For some reason, he thought the bison I painted was his mother, and gave me an F.

It wasn't my fault they look so similar.
Hi everyone! I am new here and have really been interested in picking up the guitar for a while now and need a little assistance in picking the right first guitar. I read the first couple of pages and totally understand that I am the only one that knows which guitar is right for me but I was hoping you all would be able to nudge me in the right direction so that I can go into a shop with a little knowledge.

The only conditions that I have are that I can only afford to spend the bare minimum of about $120 and need something that will work for my small hands... I know that guitars come in 3/4 size but most that I've looked into are described as meant for kids and this might be a stupid question but are kids guitars made any different than an adult guitar would be? are there adult 3/4 size guitars that you'd reccomend?

I'd very much appreciate any input you have, thank you!
I finally stopped being lazy and finished writing most of the brand summaries. It got a little silly towards the end. Let this be a reminder that all guitar-buying questions should be posted here.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Nov 19, 2010,
hi guys

what do you think between :

takamine EG340SC - 310 euros

LAG Tramontane T222DCE - 330 euros

Hi

I'm curious about the Dean Performer series, I really koa guitars, but all the real koa acoustics are well over my budget. I found a Dean Koa Performer with Aphex for $400 at MF. I'm assuming that this is either extremely low grade koa (it doesn't look like real koa guitars, but it still looks awesome) or it's a photograph/laminate.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Performer-Koa-AcousticElectric-Guitar-wAphex?sku=H11639

My other idea was a Fender California Series Sonoran SCE. I've played a few, and I really like them. I'm just kinda looking for a beater replacement for my old Samick that broke a few months ago. I'm not super picky, but I'm always looking for good deals. I just found a Fender Sonoran SCE, and it appears to be exactly the same as the natural finish California Series one, and its $30 cheaper.

Are they pretty much the same?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-California-Series-Sonoran-SCE-California-Custom-Dreadnought-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=514656

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Sonoran-SCE-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=516838
This isn't exactly a thread to be saying "Oh hey, is this a good guitar?" Really its more of a thread to educate you so that you can tell by yourself.
Quote by princedavis
This isn't exactly a thread to be saying "Oh hey, is this a good guitar?" Really its more of a thread to educate you so that you can tell by yourself.

Definitely. We're not very picky though.

Ok, I am currently searching for an acoustic-electric guitar to be bought within.. the next two weeks. I have already been to Sam Ash to test out a few guitars and see what sounded and felt good to play. I read the whole first page of this thread but I'm just looking for any other opinions out there from those that are experienced and have acoustic-electric guitars themselves.

I like a smooth neck and not a plastic coat and a deep, rich, more bass-y sound. I also have a budget of about 200-400 dollars. Does anyone know of an acoustic-electric that fits those criteria or, maybe comes close?
Quote by orangebuff1
Ok, I am currently searching for an acoustic-electric guitar

Are built-in electronics a must-have for you, or would you be willing to look at standard acoustics? Regardless, big bodied guitars will have the sound you're looking for.
Quote by GC Shred Off
Are built-in electronics a must-have for you, or would you be willing to look at standard acoustics? Regardless, big bodied guitars will have the sound you're looking for.

I wish I could get both an acoustic-electric and a standard for the sound on some of those standards, but to be honest I'm thinking with the budget I'm going to have to go for one. Most likely w/ built in electronics only because in the future I may be playing in front of decent sized crowds.
Quote by orangebuff1
Ok, I am currently searching for an acoustic-electric guitar to be bought within.. the next two weeks. I have already been to Sam Ash to test out a few guitars and see what sounded and felt good to play. I read the whole first page of this thread but I'm just looking for any other opinions out there from those that are experienced and have acoustic-electric guitars themselves.

I like a smooth neck and not a plastic coat and a deep, rich, more bass-y sound. I also have a budget of about 200-400 dollars. Does anyone know of an acoustic-electric that fits those criteria or, maybe comes close?

Check out the Ibanez AW30

If you can go to $500 I would check out a Breedlove passport 250 CME
Hi, I'm a lefty and I prefer playing with a left handed guitar, do you know of any left-handed specalist sites? I play a Tanglewood ATM, which I think sound's awesome but when it comes to guitars I'm really stuck for choice, I could force myself to play righty, but I just don't think it would be much fun for me. How much do you think a decent lefty acoustic would cost?
Quote by Mr_G_Almighty
Hi, I'm a lefty and I prefer playing with a left handed guitar, do you know of any left-handed specalist sites? I play a Tanglewood ATM, which I think sound's awesome but when it comes to guitars I'm really stuck for choice, I could force myself to play righty, but I just don't think it would be much fun for me. How much do you think a decent lefty acoustic would cost?

I can only guess that you're getting snubbed for replies because there aren't many left-handed players on this forum. I'll do my best to help out.

The general consensus from most of the left-handed players I've met is that, given the chance to go back, they would learn to play right-handed. It seems that the options just aren't there (or aren't affordable) for lefties. I've known one player who forced himself to learn the opposite hand. He tells me that initially, it was a pain for him, but it was natural after only a few months. That would be my recommendation to you.

Wish we could help more.
Hello,

I currently own an Ashton D25NTM and am very much a beginner of beginners. As I travel for work I am looking at purchasing a second-hand guitar to travel with as I don't want to take my Ashton with me for fear of damaging it (it was a gift).

I have found a Yamaha FG-75 1A for a good price (AUS$50), and would like some advice on whether this is a good guitar for a beginner/beat around guitar, which I can practice on while I am away. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
I just have one question: I've been looking at a Morgan western guitar, which I think sounds quite well.. It costs 325,23$, but I just wanted to know if there are better alternatives in the same price-range?
I know that it's all about how I feel about the guitar and stuff, but I'm just curious if I should look elsewhere My budget is abit tight atm.
I'd hate to hijack this thread from orangebluff1...

orange: According to the OP Yamaha guitars can come at good prices, lots of starting ones. My dad owns a Yamaha and it's just great. Obviously well build too because it's been around for a long time and it has a great sound with good base IMHO. It's not an acoustic electric but my advice is if you come across some Yamaha's check them out.

-----------------------

Now, I'm looking for an acoustic-electric, my price range is $2500-3000. Ill be wanting to get one in a few months.

The main problem I have is that I live in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario and our guitar stores arn't that great for something like that. So I'm heading out to a different town this weekend. Apparently I will find Larrivee's and Yamaha's according to my dad. Of course more but yeah...

So I'm interested in those, and Taylors, and Martins ATM.

I'll be playing primarily fingerstyle...

I remember in my town a store carried high end Taylors, (my price range) and I was really impressed at the playability. One of them cracked though which was a turn off.

I'm not 100% on what kind of sound I want. So I'll be playing alot of guitars before I pick one.

Things that I do know: I like lowish action, probably not too wide of a fret board, as long as it's not too wide that I can't play something, and I want a cutaway.

Any suggestions on guitars or anything else? Thanks! And thanks OP for the OP, it was good help.
any good ones under $400 us NOT made in china? any north America or European brands to look @ , our closest dealer just brought in Lag guitars never heard of them b4 , they look nice and I thought they said are made in France(?)
thanks

Dan T
Midskier = Midwest American Skier Boats
Barefooter = Waterskier WITHOUT Skis
www.footngear.com
^ Check into Seagull Guitars. That is the only brand you will find North American made guitars for less than $400.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Seagull, Norman, Simon & Patrick, or Art & Lutherie. All are under the same mother company of Godin. All of them also start at about that price range. Made in La Patrie, Quebec.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Seagull, Norman, Simon & Patrick, or Art & Lutherie, got it, these do look like they would fit the bill , now just to find a few and play them ......... but @ this point I'll be looking @ something clean / preowned which I then figure I could find for half my original budget amount, plus I love to hunt down a great deal. the budget however is very flexible as when I find what I'm looking for , I'll buy it. I just really don't want it say "made in china"
thanks again

Dan T
midskier
Midskier = Midwest American Skier Boats
Barefooter = Waterskier WITHOUT Skis
www.footngear.com
Anybody have any thoughts on the Ephiphone PR5-E Acoustic-Electric Guitar?

I was looking into getting an acoustic to pick up, and I'm not a regular acoustic player so I didn't need anything too fancy. I liked the shape of this one (especially how the cut-away is sharp instead of rounded like most) and I was wondering if anybody had one, or played one and would like to give some impressions.
Whats everyones oppionon on Electric Acoustic and Regular Acoustic guitars? Which one should I get? Im planning on just playing around and not really connected to an amp. Though I wouldnt mind hooking it up to an amp every now and then. Oppinions??
Buying a guitar can be an intimidating process, especially if you've never purchased one before. There are so many factors to consider, and so many guitars available, novices will surely feel overwhelmed. Fear not - help is available. The following ten lower priced beginner acoustic guitars all offer great value for their respective price tags.
. Seagull S6
Yamaha FG700S
Fender CD-140S
Epiphone DR-100
Fender DG-8S
Ibanez AC30NT
Taylor Baby Taylor
Martin LX1
I didnt see Takamine on the list of guitar reviews. I am looking at a Takamine EN10C but it is an online sale so I dont have any chance to play it before buying it. I have read reviews on it and they call it a very versatile all around guitar for folk players.

Any thoughts

dave stone
So I finally saved up a few thousand (more by the time I made my choice). And started looking for a new guitar. Mine was a gift, but didn't fit me well since I'd been leading worship and I just wanted one. After 2 years I wasn't in love with anything enough to drop the cash on. I would rather have thousands of dollars than any guitar I tried. One day I ran across an obscure post and began researching these guitars. Made by Denny Zager from the song, "In the Year 2525" fame (no, I'm not old, just like most music). Ended up with an OM (orchestra model) from him. He has an EZ play set up on the neck wih wide spaced strings and a shallow kneck for easier barre chords and finger picking. Comparable to anything on the market. Owned by the family and they offer a 100% garantee on their instruments. Also sale custom fitted cases with a humidor built in. I recommend them to my students since they do have cheaper guitars. Mine has a fishman electronic pickup on her. Love it and, best of all? Just a hair over a thousand and I have never regretted my decision.
Lead worship 2 times a week and at different events over the year (retreats and camps).
She's a beautiful instrument I named Regaz (Zager backwards) because it amused me. They also have a discount page where they put they guitars that aren't up to standards, or that he has played in videos. I was fortunate and picked up one of those. The problem? To light scratches to the clear coat finish on the back which you have to hold up to the light to see! He signs each guitar. I'm about to take her to studio and play for one of my students who writes music. Okay, I'll stop as it sounds I'm in love with my instrument

Website is. www.zagerguitar.com
I picked up the ZAD80 OM size Acoustic/electric.

And customer service responded to all of my questions within 1/2 hour and it was a long day for that guy (was also the luthier's son)
Hi, guys? What do you think about Fender acoustic guitars? I think there are plenty of choices for beginners with fender. If you are interested you can find some information about fender cd 60 on my site. Why don't you consider fender acoustics at all?
Hi All,

So I've decided to buy a guitar (in the last 2 hours) & I've narrowed myself down to an acoustic or electro-acoustic.....I was hoping (as I don't have a guitar playing friend) if I could hear pros & cons (at the moment I'm swaying more to acoustic-electric) on them from some uber helpful individuals, I have no experience. Next stop was lessons & youtube.

In the acoustic side of things if I do get one is the below link a good idea?

Fender Acoustic CD60

On the electro-acoustic...I'm still trying to understand what makes one good & my budget is probably no more than £150.

Really & truly my budget on either one is no more than £100, but I'm willing to go to £150 if someone can explain why a particular guitar is worth buying! Brands aren't really too important, but obviously I'd want a good guitar.
Remember I haven't even had a lesson yet!
Cam RaShi
Not to worry....I've somehow ended up purchasing a fender electro acoustic CD140SCE from Hanks in London for £250.....This included 4 picks, a carry case & a basic lead. Hope this was a good buy, I'm afraid I'm an immediate & definitely impulse buyer!
Cam RaShi
Any suggestions for a Takamine, Seagull, or any other brand of acoustics?
Need something good for playing stuff like the Libertines, and general indie. Something with not too much treble. And under $600
сопляк!!
I love when people ask this. MARTIN GUITARS ARE BEAST! However, when I'm just jamming, I'll play my Epiphone. Both nice guitars.
My budget is under $350.
I like the cutaway on the Takamine G340. The Alvarez Regent is said to be a
good entry-level guitar, which scares me since I don't play at entry-level.
The Washburn, Fender, Ibanez, Epiphone, and Yamaha certainly won't cut it.
Martin and Taylor are way out of my budget.
The Seagull S6 Entourage probably plays nicely and it looks great.
Last edited by blakeg14 at May 22, 2011,
I advise to go out and try a guitar before you buy it. I think it's very important that any guitar feels good in your hands.
Any advice for a $350 budget? I was looking at the martin LX1 or LMK2,not sure if that's the best for the price range. Any tips?
Quote by blakeg14
My budget is under $350.
I like the cutaway on the Takamine G340. The Alvarez Regent is said to be a
good entry-level guitar, which scares me since I don't play at entry-level.
The Washburn, Fender, Ibanez, Epiphone, and Yamaha certainly won't cut it.
Martin and Taylor are way out of my budget.
The Seagull S6 Entourage probably plays nicely and it looks great.

Not sure about american prices (here is Aus it's $700) but the Takamine G340SC is an amazing guitar.