Page 4 of 8
at GC & the guy was really surprised at how into he guitar I was. Out of all the guitars there in my price range,he told me that his favorite was the Seagull S6 entourage. He talked about how great the sound was,& I' not gonna lie,but I couldn't tell the difference between the $2000 martin & the $250 seagull. I suck at judging how good a guitar sounds. How do you guys choose your guitars.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-hummingbird-acoustic-guitar?src=3WFRWXX

I Bought in ebony chrome for an extra $50,good buy or not. What strings would you guys recommend? Picks?
my sons friend has this and ive played it..its a very good guitar, great tone no buzzing..looks great too.
I have a Yamaha FG700MS, got it in 2006(?) and I love it! It may be a little harsh for your hand when playing barre's but it sounds good and with proper strings it can be played in the same room with a medium-sized organs (real, real pipe organs)!! Not many guitars do that. My godmother's husbad, who is a musican was with me when we got it, and it was great, because back then I did not know what to look for. He did, and we got me a guitar which has been my main instrument for happy 5 years. Perhaps there should be a note at the main post "Get help from people who know-what-kind-of-guitar-is-a-good-guitar"?
"You can't play fast unless you play slow"
If your a beginner, then I would say don't spend too much. Later on, you can get a more expensive guitar that makes everyone "wow" at you. I really recommends35 acoustic guitar . I've made enough research before deciding on this guitar and its fine for me and for my pocket.

I might get a more expensive acoustic guitar later on though. But right know, what I have is more than enough for me. And I have been playing for more than a year now.
I'm buying a acoustic guitar, Fender CD-60 and Yamaha FG700s are my top choices. The Yamaha has a solid top and the Fender has a laminate. I was wondering if i need a humidifier or dehumidifier for the Yamaha or Fender. Anything else i'd need to care for these two instruments? i live in Washington so i dont know if the weather will have an effect?
Not an expert by any means, but it seems to me that if you avoid drastic changes in humidity, that will help loads.
Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to
Quote by AgainstYou
Not sure about american prices (here is Aus it's $700) but the Takamine G340SC is an amazing guitar.

Here, the Takamine G340SC is $250 - $300. I mostly use the internet to shop, so
that price estimate doesn't include shipping. Can't decide between the Takamine or
Seagull. I know people that hate the Takamine G and love the Seagulls. The Seagulls
are a bit more expensive, compared to Takamine though.
Last edited by blakeg14 at Sep 6, 2011,
Quote by patticake
high action is no reason to get rid of or not buy a guitar. it's completely adjustable, and what is too high for you is probably not too high for everyone.
This may be true in your opinion, but it does reside with a great deal of good fortune on your part.

If the neck of a guitar is set at the wrong angle, no amount of bridge filing will make it really playable. You may indeed be able to adjust the strings to the height you desire, but sound suffers greatly, and you have nowhere to go if the guitar settles in further.

I post this because I don't want to see beginners walk into the store, and pick up a guitar with extremely high action and automatically assume they can take it to a tech and have it fixed. There are plenty of lemons out there, and the music store will gladly sell them to you.
Quote by i_don't_know
ObeyThePenguin should add something about 12-strings.
We'll be getting to that. Oh well, why wait. Seagull offers a 12 string @ about the 700 dollar price point. It has a cedar top, which if I had to guess, would tame some of the brass of a comparable spruce top 12 string. http://www.seagullguitars.com/productcoastcedar12.htm This is available in both pure acoustic and electric versions, and also in a left handed model. I may be forced to buy myself one of these someday.

Quote by TheBadPlace
I've heard nothing but good about Carvin's electric instruments, but can't recall seeing anything about their acoustics, anybody have any experience with them?
Carvin's electrics are made in CA. They offer a line of acoustic instruments also, but these are imports from China (?) (one supposes). In keeping with the theme of this post, Carvin produces all it's USA made guitars left handed, at no extra charge!

Quote by Mr_G_Almighty
Hi, I'm a lefty and I prefer playing with a left handed guitar, do you know of any left-handed specalist sites? I play a Tanglewood ATM, which I think sound's awesome but when it comes to guitars I'm really stuck for choice, I could force myself to play righty, but I just don't think it would be much fun for me. How much do you think a decent lefty acoustic would cost?

Quote by GC Shred Off
I can only guess that you're getting snubbed for replies because there aren't many left-handed players on this forum. I'll do my best to help out.

The general consensus from most of the left-handed players I've met is that, given the chance to go back, they would learn to play right-handed. It seems that the options just aren't there (or aren't affordable) for lefties. I've known one player who forced himself to learn the opposite hand. He tells me that initially, it was a pain for him, but it was natural after only a few months. That would be my recommendation to you.

Wish we could help more.
I realize that this may come a bit late to assist the OP, but perhaps other lefties may benefit from the small amount of information I have at my disposal.

First, this website is kept pretty much up to date: http://leftyfretz.com/ They'll also respond to your emails and questions about all things left handed guitar.

I have a couple of the reviled Ibanez acoustics in left hand models: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-ew20as-left-handed-exotic-wood-acoustic-electric-guitar and this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-ael10le-left-handed-acoustic-electric-guitar-with-onboard-tuner#used

IMO, these are really designed to have at least a touch of amplification applied for anything other than quiet practice. This because, polyurethane finishes, cutaways, onboard electronics, and yes, plywood, all reduce a guitar' resonance, contributing to reduced output. Add the average sonic quality of an acoustically dead living room, and the need for amplification becomes readily apparent, if only for the reverb and/or digital delay needed to fill out the sound. (I use a tiny, "Peavy Vyper" 15 watt modeling amp, (clean channels only, and turned way down), in an attempt to match a specific guitar with its ideal sonic counterpart).

The major trouble with playing left handed, is, (besides the limited options). you might have to take something on faith, and buy an instrument sight unseen online.

I have to say though, there are so many more options available to left handed players nowadays, than there were when I started. Back in the day, you simply could not buy a lefty guitar off the rack, period.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 10, 2011,
Quote by Captaincranky
I realize that this may come a bit late to assist the OP, but perhaps other lefties may benefit from the small amount of information I have at my disposal...

Good addition. Southpaws take note!
I am interested in exploring classical fingerstyle guitar, and I would like some model recommendations.

Budget: At most £1000
Good electronics
Cutaway
High clarity in tone
Bright rather than thick
Quote by Guitarnewbie009
I'm buying a acoustic guitar, Fender CD-60 and Yamaha FG700s are my top choices. The Yamaha has a solid top and the Fender has a laminate. I was wondering if i need a humidifier or dehumidifier for the Yamaha or Fender. Anything else i'd need to care for these two instruments? i live in Washington so i dont know if the weather will have an effect?

I'd go for the Yamaha anyday! It is a really good guitar for the price!
hey...

(I recently moved into student accomodation in a flatshare with 4 others but I like to play acoustic guitar for many hours in a day. while fingerpicking or doing scales etc is quiet enough to do, struming, even softly the guitar is too loud (it is a dreadnought) and people can hear it and I feel bad because its disturbing them

I don't want a travel guitar, I want a full scale acoustic but not dreadnought body which hopefully is quiet enough. I have been playing about a year and also have a fender standard strat but I don't like playing it not plugged in...it sounds too weak. and plugged in it gets very loud so I try to only play that in short bursts plugged in.)

above line is just background

so anyone know what body types I can get for acoustic that aren't dreadnought? price range about £200-400 ($300-500) depends how much I want it. if it has a pickup or electronics installed it is a big bonus to me and id consider paying a little more.

don't suggest me silent or travel guitars please. im not too keen on plastic backed but maybe you can talk me around...
Hi guys,

I need your help here
I played guitar for 10 years, and i quit play electric guitar.
I just want to play acoustic for now..

Can u help me to choose a good guitar?
Recently i tried many guitar arround guitar shop..

and i have a feel for Cort MR710F (china) and Crafter GAE-8 (korea)
The price is a big different ofcourse..

can u help me choose which is worth?
or give me some other reference..

Please advise,
Thanks in Advance
Last edited by Riandy88 at Oct 1, 2011,
Quote by ickayR
Any advice for a $350 budget? I was looking at the martin LX1 or LMK2,not sure if that's the best for the price range. Any tips?

You can get a good Seagull guitar for around $350, maybe even less. They are high quality but without the steep prices.
I still consider fender cd 60 a good start for beginners! Although, if you can spent somw extra money on a good instrument - it's better/ Go for it! If not - try a cheap one! Anyway, a good guitar will cost you some extra bucks :-)
Hey Guys!

I'm beginning to fall in love with the idea of adding another guitar to my collection. I normally play Strats and Teles as my electrics and i got my Takamine EG-341SC as my only acoustic.

To be honest i don't have as much knowledge about acoustics as i have about electrics, so i thought this would be the right place to ask for help.

I got aproximately 1000$ at my disposal. For that amount i was hoping to find a great acoustic/electric dreadnought guitar. Since i live in a relatively small city in Denmark i don't have the greatest possibilities of going to a guitar store to try out lots of guitars. I'm pretty open to new ideas, but i still do have a few "rules". I would prefer a brand that is known for quality. The guitar MUST have a pickup system. Tuners/EQ or not doesn't matter. It must be a Dreadnought shape (i would prefer no cutaway, but if the guitar is great it doesn't matter). I would prefer not to get an Ibanez or a Fender.

Thanks
No gear.. Just tits.. And some gear.. Mostly Fenders.. And tits.. A Takamine acoustic.. An Orange tube amp.. A shitty Fender amp.. AND TITS! And a big fuckload of pedals that i don't know how to use..
Some people say that the entry level Taylor's are not worth it, however my uncle says he has a 110 and he loves it (he's an avid guitarist and musician in general.. he knows what he's talking about) What is your guys' take one it? Worth it, not worth it? Why?
2010 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2011 PRS SE Santana limited edition of 25
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
2009 Washburn Renegade WM23
Vox 20W Valvetronix

To the guy looking for a nylon-string, I also rec looking at the Yamaha's. They have several models well within your budget. A friend of mine bought the cheap $350 model and it is an outstanding value.

To the person looking for a dread with electric set-up for under $1250US... The world is your oyster. I would strongly rec a Guild; if you go used get one made before Fender took over. Also consider a used/scratched Gibson. Takamine "lawsuit" guitars are also within your budget (made in the 70's, identical to Martins of the time and legendary among "people in the know"). For a new guitar, go play a cheap Martin, a Takamine, a Breedlove, a Seagull, and then pick up an Epiphone masterbilt. You'll be surprised by it ;-)
I'm looking at getting a new acoustic-electric soon (probably right after Christmas), and I'd appreciate some recommendations. My budget is $300-$500 and I do NOT want a classical. I'm sorry, but I just hate the feel of nylon strings.

I'd like a cutaway just so I can easily access the upper frets. I absolutely want a built in chromatic tuner, but most acoustic-electrics I've seen have that anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue. As for sound, I'd like something that sounds something like the guitars here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7w9K-R6e9s

I'd like to avoid Fenders. And can someone enlighten me about how "good" Ibanez's Exotic Wood series actually is? I'm rather skeptical
Ibanez RG350DX
Orange Crush 20W
Ibanez TS9
Have an acoustic electric ibanez with a built in tuner myself. Its a V series (V72ECE to be exact) and everyone online seems to think they have bent necks and stuff, but when I brought it second hand I tested every fret with an electric tuner and it was absolutely perfect. Has such a beautiful sound and I would not sell it for anything. Would highly recommend an acoustic Ibanez
hiya, i want to buy a decent but not too expensive acoustic guitar with my christmas money to try to learn blues on. i know nothing about what type of guitar would be good for this and im really lost please could someone give me some advice about some basic things i should look for in a guitar that would be suitable for playing blues? thankyou so much
Quote by spock10194
I'm looking at getting a new acoustic-electric soon (probably right after Christmas), and I'd appreciate some recommendations. My budget is $300-$500 and I do NOT want a classical. I'm sorry, but I just hate the feel of nylon strings.

I'd like a cutaway just so I can easily access the upper frets. I absolutely want a built in chromatic tuner, but most acoustic-electrics I've seen have that anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue. As for sound, I'd like something that sounds something like the guitars here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7w9K-R6e9s

I'd like to avoid Fenders. And can someone enlighten me about how "good" Ibanez's Exotic Wood series actually is? I'm rather skeptical

Well, the guitar in the video looks like it's this.

I don't know how soon you need it, but I've been researching for an acoustic electric around the same price/specs too. Just on the phone 5 minutes ago actually, buying the guitar online (Which I know some people here oppose) and I'm really psyched.

I decided on the Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE for around $430. If you're interested, I got it off musiciansfriend.com. The price showing on sale is around $500, still pretty cheap for the guitar. My price was with the 15% off, but I had to call and place the order on the phone cause they won't let me use the coupon code online. The coupon code is expiring on friday (12/23) though so act fast! (Sounds like I'm advertising from musiciansfriend lol)

But seriously, I was looking on ebay and they're selling refurbs for $420 so this is a really good deal.
Hi,

I'm looking to get an acoustic or electro-acoustic, I am in the UK and my budget is less than £300. I don't play in public, I do like guitars with cutaways and thinner necks as I am female with small hands. I play mainly rock/indie music

I was thinking of getting a Yamaha APX500II or Fender T bucket 300SCE but then I saw these acoustic Ibanez guitars:

http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?pid=10855&c=148&product=Ibanez+AW250ECE-RTB%2c+New%2c+Rustic+Brown

http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?pid=2652&c=148&product=Ibanez+EW20WNE-NT%2c+New%2c+Natural

I can't find many reviews for the Ibanez guitars, but they have the exact sort of look I'm looking for and the one or two youtube videos I've seen sound amazing!

Does anyone have any opinions or experience of the above guitars? Or any additional recommendations.

Thanks in advance
Great information about guitar. I really need this.
I have chose the Gibson Les Paul Studio Electric Guitar for me. I just like this guitar & its Music.

Are you looking for Music or Musician!
Last edited by lostprin36 at Jan 29, 2012,
Best to know what is Your guitar, just:
1. Try it.
2. Place it on the playing position. You must feel comfortable.
3. Play something, if you like it, then it may be real one.
4. Look if body is covered with varnish. If isn't then sound will be much softer.
5. Look at the Brand.
6. Look at the price. It must be equal.
My friend is looking to buy an Acoustic/Electric USED or NEW.
Are there any decent used Gibsons, Martins, or Taylors in that price range.
I really don't know much when it comes to acoustic guitars. The main requirements I have are that it intonates well and has low action, both of which can be fixed on any guitar. I don't understand why some acoustics/electrics are so much more expensive than others.
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
Quote by WesM.Vaughan
My friend is looking to buy an Acoustic/Electric USED or NEW.
Are there any decent used Gibsons, Martins, or Taylors in that price range.
I really don't know much when it comes to acoustic guitars. The main requirements I have are that it intonates well and has low action, both of which can be fixed on any guitar. I don't understand why some acoustics/electrics are so much more expensive than others.

You didn't mention a price range...

The price of guitars is influenced by the type of materials, quality of construction, and the name of the builder. Big names draw big prices because they can. It is up to your friend to try some things out and decide whether or not those prices are justified.

Quote by fhdkh
hiya, i want to buy a decent but not too expensive acoustic guitar with my christmas money to try to learn blues on. i know nothing about what type of guitar would be good for this and im really lost please could someone give me some advice about some basic things i should look for in a guitar that would be suitable for playing blues? thankyou so much

The beauty of blues is that it can be played on just about anything. It's the playing style itself that makes blues blues, not the instrument. Any well-built guitar is up to the task.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Jan 30, 2012,
Ibanez is good. Very bright and loud instrument. No to - no good!
Which guitar would be a good one for me? I play country music!
Farida D32E
Walden D522 12 String

Levellers <3
I'm looking at two Fenders a GA-45s and a CD 60CE, both priced at about $300. Which do you guys think is better?
Last edited by FoxyMulder at Feb 25, 2012,
I'm looking to buy a cheap classical for a friend, that he's only going to be playing for a few months. He has one overseas but I don't know the make and want to keep this present a secret. It just needs to last for a while and be semi-decent, so I'm not looking to spend much more than £40/$55. I could buy second hand if possible.

Any recommendations on good brands or makes? Many thanks!
I have just aquired a Taylor DN3.
Th bass response is truly wonderful and counters the argument of those who find taylors too bright. If you are shopping in this price range, I suggest you give one of these a play.
I'm looking for an Acoustic-Electric in the price range of around $250. I have not tried any but plan on going to a music store soon to do so. Any suggestions to try first?
so...what do you guys think about tanglewood acoustic guitars? anyone with personal experience with them?
I feel good when I read your post. This post is a great read for people interesting in blog etiquette; I came across your post while reading up for a future post on my own blog about this same subject. I love to read thoughtful comments on your webpages! Comments and constructive criticism help me to develop myself, and write posts which others like to read.

I will definitely visit here to get some great tips and lessons.

I also have my blog which talk about Acoustic Electric Guitar. You can visit my blog at
http://acousticelectricguitarz.com

Thanks
Jirud
I didn't feel like reading all that. Tell me what to buy. KIDDING!!!!

Seriously, I just registered on this site just to express my appreciation here. This forum--and especially this thread about selecting a guitar--have been a huge help to me! After years of playing a Washburn D10SB (sounds great but a bit hard to play), I started wanting something just a little nicer. Early on, I was enticed by the funky-looking "exotic woods" on some of the Ibanez and similar brands. Thankfully, I came here looking for wisdom before busting a move!

Thank you for the advice to play many guitars. Thank you for the great basic info about some brands I wasn't familiar with. Even though they all weren't covered, I was able to build a sense of what a decent guitar COULD deliver in terms of sound, materials, manufacturing, etc. You helped get my priorities sorted out. I set out to find MY favorite guitar--not what some strangers voted to the top of a poll.

I went to a local big name brick-n-mortar. After looking around their selection, I was expecting I'd wind up buying a Takamine since they had plenty of them--most nice looking and in my financial reach. At one point, however, I spotted a used Alvarez MD90 (solid spruce top, solid rosewood back & sides) mixed in with the Yamahas. It had some little cosmetic scuffs here and there, but was in great shape otherwise. Compared to my Washburn, it played like buttah. The sound is full...plenty of strong bass but plenty of clear brightness to balance it out. Simple (almost plain) looks, but attractive. I felt they were asking too much, so I walked out determined to keep trying things.

Over a few more weeks I got to check out a Seagull, some Yamahas, the Taks, and some of the entry level Martins/Taylors. Couldn't find any Guilds, though I was looking. Many guitars I picked up were nice, but none spoke to me like that Alvarez. I went back there and pointed out the scuffs and how much dust it had been collecting on their wall (a sticker indicated a few months worth). I walked out with a big discount, the case and some extras to boot.

My fingertips are swollen. I am happy. My enthusiasm for this hobby is renewed. Reading this post and other discussions here really helped my confidence and perspective. Thanks!!
Quote by Crazymonkey05
I'm looking for an Acoustic-Electric in the price range of around $250. I have not tried any but plan on going to a music store soon to do so. Any suggestions to try first?

Yamaha electro-acoustics are pretty decent for what they're priced, they're usually in that range. But just know that sometimes it's best to buy a used acoustic because they're more "opened up" which is even better for you because it'll be even cheaper!
Last edited by kimberlydawn at Apr 24, 2012,