Hey guys, I don't play bass so I figured I'd come here for some ideas. My friend's looking to get into bass, problem is he doesn't really have a clue for which to get.
He's been playing guitar for several years, looking to get into bass to rejuvenate his interest in music. He's primarily interested in prog. metal (Tool-ish), some Lamb of God type stuff, and of course he wants something that'll play some funk rock decently. He's willing to buy anything up to $1000. Cheap amp suggestions would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks!
Check out the higher end Schecters.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I'll look em up, thanks.

And no, the $1000 is for the bass, he has a much tighter budget for the amp.
Quote by GuitarFace5628
I'll look em up, thanks.

And no, the $1000 is for the bass, he has a much tighter budget for the amp.

You'll be able to control your tone much better with a good amp than a bass.

Maybe tell him to make that fund for both? Around 500 bucks for each is a very good start for a beginner.

Just have him go out and try some basses sometime and have him come back with opinions. Everyone here could blurt out ibanez, fender, jackson, or ESP models but it dosnt really do much.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Yeah, it's probably a better idea but he's concerned that the music store around us apparently only has expensive basses, nothing below $700. I'll look into better amps, thanks man.