I've tried the Vypyr, and it did't really pleased me...is the sound of the Line 6 Spider IV 75 better??
my mt-2+Mg30 isn´t worst than the Vypyr
Just a heads up, you're gonna get a number of people saying you can do better... What's your budget and what genres do you play?
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Around 300 euros, 400 dollars..
Right now, trivium, Iron maiden,slipknot... I really hate to tweek around if I want to play Amon amarth, and 10 minutes later Maiden(it will take ages to find a good sound), so I was thinking, a Spider,where all I have to do is press a few things and i can get a good maiden sound right away..
Quote by tasanhalas
Around 300 euros, 400 dollars..
Right now, trivium, Iron maiden,slipknot... I really hate to tweek around if I want to play Amon amarth, and 10 minutes later Maiden(it will take ages to find a good sound), so I was thinking, a Spider,where all I have to do is press a few things and i can get a good maiden sound right away..

But these bands all have different sounds, amps and different tunings even!
It's normal you have to tweak around.

But let me tell you one thing: you don't want a modelling amp if you really want a Maiden/Triviumesque sound, you want a Blackstar HT-5. 5 watt tube amp, that can change between a British (Maiden) and an American (Trivium/Slipknot) sound. And it ain't that pricy. I think you an get the comob within your budget.

Or else save up for the Peavey 6505 1x12.
Last edited by TheOpenMind at Nov 20, 2009,
But what I really want is really good distortion. and the only effect i might use is reverb.

I've always heard, 5w tube amps is just wasting money
Quote by tasanhalas
But what I really want is really good distortion. and the only effect i might use is reverb.

they've become so popular now that they are pretty good, i'm getting the ht-5 for christmass to play everything from blues to metal, that's how versatile a 5 watt tube amp is
Quote by tasanhalas

Well, I won't start that discussion, but even if it only has 5 watts it's still miles above the Spider when it comes to distortion.

But if you really don't want a 5w tube, then you can get a hella loud 60w amp.
But that will mean saving up.

tl;dr: Just get the HT-5.
Last edited by TheOpenMind at Nov 20, 2009,
Another problem is, I can´t find the HT-5 in Lisbon, where I live...so it's really not an option
Quote by WtrPlyr
^^Yes you can, Thomann ships to Portugal.

Don't get the Ibanez, it's even worse than the Spider and Vypyr.

I know it does, so does Playback and Musicstore, but buying without trying...
^ it's a risk you'll have to take if all that's on offer to try is a load of spider's and vypyr's
I've exposed your lies, Mr. Citizen Erased. This will give me all the peace and joy in the world. The truth will unwind and scrape away because I don't love you and never did - so please:

...I'm a cool kid.
Correction: Everybody hates the Spider. The Vypyr can actually achieve decent tone (especially considering it's a low end modeler).

The Vypyr works better when you take some time to fiddle around with the EQ and the amp models and the stompboxes.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have to say, i really liked the spider IV.
Well, considering the price and whats it meant for.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by oneblackened
Correction: Everybody hates the Spider. The Vypyr can actually achieve decent tone (especially considering it's a low end modeler).

The Vypyr works better when you take some time to fiddle around with the EQ and the amp models and the stompboxes.
+1

The Vypyr is moderately hard to dial in, but once you dial your tone in, it's great.
blackheart or Blackstar HT-5 or 6505+ combo
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
+1

The Vypyr is moderately hard to dial in, but once you dial your tone in, it's great.

I've been meaning to fiddle around with mine, but it lives at my drummers house (WAAAY too big for solo practice, lol).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
while i know its no that great for distortion how about a fender super champ?
^ Its not a metal amp, the voicing isn't right for metal imo.

I'd suggest take the chane and buy online, get the blackstar and a cheap overdrive incase you wanna play the br00tlz, like a bad monkey.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
listen to you-gee,they know what they talking about
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by oneblackened
I've been meaning to fiddle around with mine, but it lives at my drummers house (WAAAY too big for solo practice, lol).
Yeah the bigger Peavey combo's are a bitch to move.
Quote by Aditya_ram
get a pod x3 live

Where the hell did that come into play!???

Get the blackstar you won't regret it.

Or if you think 5 watts is wimpy(it isn't you fool!)

Get the 60 watt amp I'm getting

B-52 at 221, it's got a rectifier in it for the brootz, and jazzy cleans too.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
I need to clarify this:

The HT-5 will NOT do metal without a boost, even with some nice humbuckers it will get to around Kill 'em All levels of gain.

It CANNOT sound like an american amp, it's british and will never sound like a Mesa unless you have an EQ for some heavy tweaking (although i was able to get an awesome Recto tone out of it this way)

It does NOT sound modern, it's very much vintage voiced. You will need a couple pedals to go with it because it isn't the right choice for Trivium, Maiden maybe but not Trivium.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by westdyolf

lol, all amps have rectifiers and it definitely is not the reason for br00talz either

Although it is a good suggestion, for what TS wants i would rec it over the Blackstar
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by westdyolf

What is a "B-52 at 221"??
b-52 is the amp company

at 212 is the model
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by tasanhalas
What is a "B-52 at 221"??

It's actually a B-52 212; that means that the company B-52 makes the amp, and it has 2 12" speakers in it, making it a combo amp.

Quote by TOMMYB22
I need to clarify this:

The HT-5 will NOT do metal without a boost, even with some nice humbuckers it will get to around Kill 'em All levels of gain.

YouTube might disagree with you.

Quote by TOMMYB22
It does NOT sound modern, it's very much vintage voiced. You will need a couple pedals to go with it because it isn't the right choice for Trivium, Maiden maybe but not Trivium.

According to Wikipedia, Trivium is using a Marshall JVM2 and a Peavey 5150; in other words, each guitarist is using a different kind of voicing, which means that one amp probably wouldn't do both anyway.

Quote by tasanhalas

It takes 10x the wattage to produce twice the volume in tube amplifiers.

The HT-5 and 6505 112 combo are both very solid options. You should also check out The Gear For Metal Thread.