I need some help. Christmas is coming up and i have about $1200 to spend. The amp I currently have is an Peavey Rage 158 old model. It sucks. Horribly. Anyways, I also plan to buy a Line 6 POD X3 Live pedal and about 3 cables. So I will have about $600 dollars to spend on an amp. Can anyone suggest one to me? I play mostly metalcore but occasionally I'll play something softer. Bands include Metallica, Bullet for my Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold, Killswitch Engage, All that Remains, and Arch Enemy. Also, Can anyone suggest me amp cables that run about $30?
you could look at the peavey 6505+ but for about $570 you can get a peavey vypyr tube 120 which means you don't need the pod
Just curious... Do you NEED the versatility of the POD? If you spend your entire budget on an amp instead, you open up a lot more options.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
As stated above, the Peavey 6505+, some used Mesas (Rectifiers or maybe some Mark series amps), Marshall JCM 800/900 if you like British high gain, etc. At those price levels, doubling your budget from $600 to $1200 will give you a much wider selection.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Peavey has announced their new VYPYR series modeling guitar amps. With double the processing power, models and effects of competitive modeling amplifiers, the Peavey VYPYR modeling amps dramatically redefine the power and scope of modern guitar amplification. VYPYR amplifiers are based on powerful 32-bit, floating-point SHARC processors that enable highly detailed, accurate modeling as well as vastly enhanced flexibility and features than ever before available in guitar amplification.

The VYPYR guitar amps should be available in the 2nd quarter of 2008 from the www.AndysMusicOnline.com music instrument music store.
========================
Diabetes, Cancer, and Bariatric Surgery
thyroid
For $1200 you get into epic amp territory.

For that price you can find used Mesa models,ENGL models,Peavey 6505 and JSX models,and other wonderful tube amps.

Trust me,you wont need tons of modeling presets when you have an amp that has a great sound and responsive EQ.I personally chose the JSX since I need a lot of versatility in my amp,and it's been nothing but great since I got it a year ago.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

CORNFORD ROADHOUSE.

Incredible amps. Just in your price range I believe. Try one of these and I'm sure you'll be wanting to skip the POD.
£699 in the UK, so I'm guessing they'll be around $1100 in the US.