Lady sues tobacco company because cigs are harmful and wins $300 million

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-naugle-smoking-lawsuit-20091119,0,3547138.story
Naugle was found only 10 percent at fault for taking up smoking when she was 20 years old. She quit 25 years later. Her lawyers, Bob Kelley, Todd Falzone and Todd McPharlin of the Kelley Uustal law firm in Fort Lauderdale, argued that the cigarette maker committed fraud. They contended the tobacco company knew but concealed that smoking cigarettes is addictive and harmful to a smoker's health. They said Naugle took up smoking in 1968, thinking it would make her look older and sophisticated. She chose the slim, long Benson & Hedges, marketed as sophisticated and feminine, they said.

Absolutely ridiculous. That's an insane amount of money.
Last edited by Masamune at Nov 20, 2009,
I think it's awesome...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Dumb broad
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by RU Experienced?
Damn, imagine all the nicotine patches you can get with 300 million dollars.

Scvrew that, imagine how many CIGARETTES she can buy with all that cash...
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Quote by neidnarb11890
Shit, I oughtta start smoking...

This

I mean, if Johnny Cochran were still alive, I would start today but....
666 BRO
Isn't the big label on the back that says "Doctor says: THIS SHIT CAN KILL YOU" supposed to stop lawsuits?
Quote by i_killed_bill
Isn't the big label on the back that says "Doctor says: THIS SHIT CAN KILL YOU" supposed to stop lawsuits?

Remember that she started smoking in a period when cigarettes still weren't publicly advertised as harmful.

Oh and tobacco companies losing money is awesome no matter what.
I am a postmodern vegetarian, I eat meat ironically.
Last edited by Toolshed#9 at Nov 20, 2009,
Quote by i_killed_bill

I think the article said they left off that little part.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by Toolshed#9
Remember that she started smoking in a period when cigarettes still weren't publicly advertised as harmful.

Oh and tobacco companies losing money is awesome no matter what.

Surely there was no law about it in 1968. You can hardly apply today's laws to things that happened years ago.

You Americans can sue for anything, it's absolutely ridiculous.
Quote by ..NEM..
Scvrew that, imagine how many CIGARETTES she can buy with all that cash...

Maybe enough to start a tobacco companie....hmmmmm
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
That's pretty cool. She should of tried to raising her winnings to infinity-trillion dollars.
ok first of all tobacco companies losing money is not good at all

they are one of the most important economic driving forces of america along with alcohol
Quote by aaronni
Surely there was no law about it in 1968. You can hardly apply today's laws to things that happened years ago.

You Americans can sue for anything, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Anyone can sue anyone for anything, you're right. It doesn't mean they will win the settlement though. This woman started smoking when cigarettes had no labels saying that it was hazardous to your health and potentially addictive. She saw some advertisements geared towards her demographic and it seemed attractive to her so she started smoking. Seems pretty legit to me.
Quote by CycoVisonary23
ok first of all tobacco companies losing money is not good at all

they are one of the most important economic driving forces of america along with alcohol

Sooo... we legalise pot. Problem solved.
Quote by Rupert1616
Sooo... we legalise pot. Problem solved.

I dont see that being federally legal for sometime

Idk I just think people think the tobacco companies are so bad because they are selling products very harmful and addictive but people now a days know perfectly well what they do and how much damage they cause

so to sue a tobacco company for your mistakes for using their product is wrong
Quote by RU Experienced?
Anyone can sue anyone for anything, you're right. It doesn't mean they will win the settlement though. This woman started smoking when cigarettes had no labels saying that it was hazardous to your health and potentially addicting. She saw some advertisements geared towards her demographic and it seemed attractive to her so she started smoking. Seems pretty legit to me.

I know, I meant sue for anything with success! The whole culture of suing for absolutely everything really annoys me. People really need to take more responsibility for their own lives.

Thinking about it this case probably is justifiable though a bit silly. Also it leaves the door open for millions of others to do the same thing.
Quote by CycoVisonary23
Idk I just think people think the tobacco companies are so bad because they are selling products very harmful and addictive but people now a days know perfectly well what they do and how much damage they cause

This is what I was getting at here but people prefer to blame others nowadays.
Last edited by aaronni at Nov 20, 2009,
I wouldn't mind punching the woman in the face.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

Quote by CycoVisonary23

It's not wrong, it's genius. The woman has made millions by being a thick bitch.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
It's not wrong, it's genius. The woman has made millions by being a thick bitch.
Quote by aaronni
I know, I meant sue for anything with success! The whole culture of suing for absolutely everything really annoys me. People really need to take more responsibility for their own lives.

Thinking about it this case probably is justifiable though a bit silly. Also it leaves the door open for millions of others to do the same thing.

This is what I was getting at here but people prefer to blame others nowadays.

It's funny you say that because my brother in law owns a construction company and he's being sued. The guy is saying that their spray on insulation has cause emphazema. The guy who is sueing also happens to smoke a carton a day, that couldn't possibly have cause his lung problems.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
For the people calling her stupid, which would you rather

300 million dollars or being called stupid by a few people in the pit?

I'd go for the 300 million
"Don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining" - Wrex
Quote by PrideDemon
For the people calling her stupid, which would you rather

300 million dollars or being called stupid by a few people in the pit?

I'd go for the 300 million

I agree and we all know luck favours a chancer. Good on her I say. Sure she was greedy, but she sued what is probably a multi-billion dollar company. It's like a rapist getting raped.
Quote by AngryGoldfish

yeah good tone
As much as I'm glad cigarette companies are losing a shit-ton of money, this verdict makes absolutely no sense. By this logic, anyone who smoked 40 years ago is entitled to $300 million from cigarette companies.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by CycoVisonary23
yeah good tone
If that is sarcasm - which is kinda hard to detect on here - then you're being hypocritical, surely?

I was having a laugh, anyway. What she does is her prerogative. She's either incredibly smart and devious, or incredibly thick and ignorant.
Quote by CycoVisonary23

You do realise that at the time this woman started smoking cigarette companies used to actually advertise smoking as being good for you?