Page 1 of 2
Let's say that the economy REALLY tumbled. Hardly anyone could afford a roof over their head, and people started forming small communities of open homes to live in.

You've used up the vast majority of the things you used as fuel for your fires, both for warmth and for cooking, cleaning, etc.

The only other alternative you have for fuel are the books in a local library. All of the books have been untouched, since the people in the small, detached community felt that keeping the books for learning and survival help would be best.

Well, now that time has ended. you MUST start burning at least SOME books to survive. What section do you start burning, and why?

TL;DR: You need to start a fire, and books are your only fuel. What section of the library do you decide to burn to keep warm?
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by MightyAl
teenage fiction

This is the only option. Everything else is off-limits.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Tabloid/Pop Culture magazines. Although they probably wouldn't burn as well as books. But whatever.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Teen fiction first. Then biographies of celebrities that nobody cares about. Then Nancy Drew.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Although I gotta ask, if it's freezing cold and your toes are about to fall off who would sit there going

"Oh maybe we should burn the religious section"

"No I think we should burn the magazines"

"How about political books?"

etc. I mean really folks
Yeah, I was going to say the Young Adult section first.

Then all of the non-academic and non-arts magazines. Stuff like People, Cosmopolitan, etc.

As said above, after that, the rest of the library stays intact. Even all of the religion, etc. While I may not be religious, it would be ludicrous to burn it all.

Saxo-Walrus

Last edited by fallenangel20 at Nov 20, 2009,
Quote by i_killed_bill
Twilight and anything remotely related to Twilight

this.

edit: on second thought, put everything on pdf format and burn them all.
Go Veg.
Last edited by im not mental at Nov 20, 2009,
Quote by fallenangel20

Then all of the non-academic and arts magazines. Stuff like People, Cosmopolitan, etc.

As said above, after that, the rest of the library stays intact. Even all of the religion, etc. While I may not be religious, it would be ludicrous to burn it all.

Not cosmo, we shall save one copy per town for all of the men to gather around and gawk at the strangeness of feminine life.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by fallenangel20

Then all of the non-academic and arts magazines. Stuff like People, Cosmopolitan, etc.

people who appreciate the need to keep knowledge.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Ayn Rand's literature would be the first to go.

This. Followed shortly by the bibles. Way too many of those floating around.
Check out my band Disturbed
Books I would never read like ones in totally foreign languages (like I am never going to be able to read the vast majority of Asian languages, so why would I keep those books around). Then I would move on to out of date / just plain wrong books. If like everything in an academic text book on chemistry is wrong, then it would be burned; it serves no purpose.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by StewieSwan
This. Followed shortly by the bibles. Way too many of those floating around.

I still don't see the point in burning all of the religious text.

Think about it this way. Religious texts give an insight on the times and lives of ancient peoples.

Whenever Europe set foot on Mayan land, after killing them all for being "heathens", they burned the vast majority of their religious texts and symbols. This deletes history, and takes away any context we may have had into their lives.

So, in turn, if you burn ALL Christian text, Jewish text, etc. you would be, in turn, deleting pages of history, and losing that insight.

Yes, the modern religions are responsible for atrocious things, but the things in the books aren't all bad, and a lot of the philosophy is solid. Plus, people rely on those books to stay sane. Even if you don't agree with it, it helps people.

I don't know. Like I said, I'm not religious at all, but I would refrain from burning religious books. I'd just feel terrible about it.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by fallenangel20

Think about it this way. Religious texts give an insight on the times and lives of ancient peoples.

Whenever Europe set foot on Mayan land, after killing them all for being "heathens", they burned the vast majority of their religious texts and symbols. This deletes history, and takes away any context we may have had into their lives.

So, in turn, if you burn ALL Christian text, Jewish text, etc. you would be, in turn, deleting pages of history, and losing that insight.

Yes, the modern religions are responsible for atrocious things, but the things in the books aren't all bad, and a lot of the philosophy is solid. Plus, people rely on those books to stay sane. Even if you don't agree with it, it helps people.

I don't know. Like I said, I'm not religious at all, but I would refrain from burning religious books. I'd just feel terrible about it.

You could devote your entire life to burning bibles and you wouldn't even come close to getting them all.
Check out my band Disturbed
The wood that's used in the library containing the books...

For real though, I don't think there would ever be a situation where you would HAVE to burn books...maybe if that's what you choose to do, but I think if it ever came down to HAVING to burn them, we would already be dead.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by fallenangel20

I agree, but I wouldn't be against breaking into the local Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall and burning all their pamphlets.
Quote by StewieSwan
You could devote your entire life to burning bibles and you wouldn't even come close to getting them all.

Yes, but we're also just talking about this community.

The religious books in that library are all the people in the general vicinity have, unless they have their own.

Just saying. If your community burned the bibles, then enjoy your warmth. I guess I would be cold for a while longer.

Saxo-Walrus

I would leave the library alone and start collecting Gideon bibles from all the local hotels/motels.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Tax law, teenage fiction, children's books, religious books, and philosophy, in that order.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
my moms copy of that new Sarah Palin book!
“I am 100 percent in favor of the intelligent use of drugs, and 1,000 percent against the thoughtless use of them, whether caffeine or LSD. And drugs are not central to my life.”

-Dr. Timothy Leary
Quote by Lespauljames
bibles, satanic bibles, the qur-an. jewish bible, whatever. even digital copys of the bibles, and people who can memorise the bible

Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
^ Shit...there's a man made out of wood right there ^!!!!!!!

Sorry, but the warmth you provide will be worth your sacrifice!

GET HIM!!!
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
all textbooks, history books, and art books are OFF LIMITS.

everything else is fair game, although as someone has mentioned before teen fiction is first to go. with books from the likes of mark twain and george orwell being burned very last if need be.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by CodySG
The wood that's used in the library containing the books...

For real though, I don't think there would ever be a situation where you would HAVE to burn books...maybe if that's what you choose to do, but I think if it ever came down to HAVING to burn them, we would already be dead.

Our library is made of glass and concrete... The shelves are made of metal.

http://library.osu.edu/about/locations/thompson-library/about-thompson/thompson-library-renovation?start=3

There are sections that are wooden, but those are.. idk, just different books? The vast majority of books are inside of the glass tower in the center of the library. Rare books are below the library in some sort of secret catacombs.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Page 1 of 2