any other peter hook fans around? i'm a big joy division/new order fan. and i really like his melodic bass style. any other fans here/recommendations for similar bands? i already know interpol, and i'm a big carlos d fan as well.
Its a bit of a stretch but check out the Stranglers as well. JJ Burnell has a similar melodic style.
Hey there, fellow Hook fan!
I admire Peter Hook's work with Joy Division compared to New Order, but no denying he's a great musician. I really love the fact that his simple basslines always went well with the mood of each and every JD song. I haven't heard any band quite like JD or any player like Peter yet.
love that solo he did at the Limit Club in Sheffield, 1979, before Gimme your Heart.

great youtubing.

(he never did any solos as far as I know, sorry)

but he makes some great bass parts!!!!!!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by anarkee
Its a bit of a stretch but check out the Stranglers as well. JJ Burnell has a similar melodic style.

sweet. i'll check them out!

yeah, his bass parts are simple, but they really drive the songs. i like joy division better too, just like the chemistry they had was great.
Right here.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Yeah Hooky completly changed a lot of music and playing after New Order. Im a bigger fan of Joy Division personally. Such an under rated musician. Theres loads of good things around in books if your interested in his set ups over the years.
From what I know he started of with a Shergold Marathon bass, then a Gibson EB-3 before moving onto his famous Ricky. Read he was always playing high notes to counter Bernards early shortcomings as a guitarist coz he always played high up the neck.

Later with New Order he played a semi acoustic bass (like a 335) but over the last few years a lot of his sound is down to some really wierd tunings.
Quote by teamcooper
Yeah Hooky completly changed a lot of music and playing after New Order. Im a bigger fan of Joy Division personally. Such an under rated musician. Theres loads of good things around in books if your interested in his set ups over the years.
From what I know he started of with a Shergold Marathon bass, then a Gibson EB-3 before moving onto his famous Ricky. Read he was always playing high notes to counter Bernards early shortcomings as a guitarist coz he always played high up the neck.

Later with New Order he played a semi acoustic bass (like a 335) but over the last few years a lot of his sound is down to some really wierd tunings.

Maybe someone can correct me, but I heard the rick was a copy. Id also read that the reson he played higher was because his amp wasnt powerful enough so he played higher up to be heared.
"You will never know just what you wanna do or where you wanna go I think its time"

What the World is Waiting For
Yeah both the SG bass and the Ricky were copies in the early days. As for the reason behind his playing theres obviously going to be stories from all over the place I'm just saying what I have read in a few places.
Quote by teamcooper
Yeah both the SG bass and the Ricky were copies in the early days. As for the reason behind his playing theres obviously going to be stories from all over the place I'm just saying what I have read in a few places.

Not saying your wrong or anything. I guess the only one that knows is hooky, or barney/stephen.
"You will never know just what you wanna do or where you wanna go I think its time"

What the World is Waiting For
i heard that too. hooky said he developed that style because his equipment was bad, and he had to play high to be heard. i forget where i read that though.

what are some favorite joy division/new order basslines? mine are she's lost control, love will tear us apart, shadowplay, disorder, age of consent, etc.