I want to add a new level of sounds around my recordings. As of right now, i have a Nady USB mic, my guitars, an my voice (and a drumset but i can't record anything even half-decent with it). I really like editing and mssing with my recordings, but I feel like there's not much i can do with what i have. I want to get started with MIDI.
I want to get a keyboard that i can use for this (as this seems like the best way to do it) but I don't know like anything about what i need. I use audacity most of the time, but i just recently got Sonar Home Studio 6. I don't know how to use it too well, but i'm working on that.
I defnitely don't want to send a lot (i want to keep it as cheep as possible while still getting decent sounds). I don't need professional quality, just something that i wouldn't feel stupid playing for my friends.
So my questions are -
What do i need in a keyboard? (if a keyboard is the my best option)
Will my current software suffice?
How much will this most likely cost?
Anything else you think would help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much in advance!

-nedloh0126-

I'm sure i've left some important information out even thugh i can't think of anyhing right now, so i'd e happy to answer any questions that'll help you to help me
You can get USB MIDI controllers in several price ranges, what type of stuff are you planning on doing with it exactly?

Your DAW software is fine.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I was in the same boat about a year or so ago... I was told by everyone to get a small M-Audio 49 key thing but wanted a bigger keyboard, more features, etc

I found a Yamaha PSR-270 on Ebay (think I paid $60 for it) - it's FANTASTIC.

PSR-270

I also wanted to use it with my computer (MIDI) so I bought a Yamaha UX-16 Midi/USB interface ($25 - Ebay - Used) as Yamaha works well with Yamaha (lots of people complain about problems with cheap M-Audio UNO's, Knockoff ones, etc.)

UX-16

It's a great system - I use it for doing my Bass lines, Drums (I use Addictive Drums) and am learning more actual keyboard stuff. I recommend this baby highly - you'd love it! Works beautifully on my Mac and on my Windows 7 laptop.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Nov 20, 2009,
That keyboard looks to be severely crippled, no pitch or mod wheel, undersized keys and from my experience with low end Yamaha keyboards, crappy velocity sensitivity. IMO you'd be better of shelling out more money for an M-Audio keystation/oxygen or simmilar. There's a good reason why everyone told you to get a 49-key M-Audio model.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
actually they're full sized keys and the TOUCH RESPONSE works great - the harder you play the more volume you get - is that velocity? I tried the M-Audio at Guitar Center and am glad I got the Yamaha. It doesn't feel anywhere near as cheap as the M-Audio did - also the mod wheel thing really didn't interest me that much - I'm not a keyboard player and for what I do with it (Bass, Drums, etc.) a mod wheel wasn't necessary. My wife plays piano and she advised me to get MORE KEYS as she's trying to teach me piano - She wanted 88 but this was such a steal I got it - it's actually nice - also it has LINE OUT too so I can also use the built-in voices by going LINE IN to my computer or directly to my Amps. Some of the built-in instruments are killer sounding, and the Grand Piano even impressed my wife (and she's hard to impress) although I usually use it as a "Midi Keyboard" and use the instruments included in LOGIC 9 and SONAR 8. I really like it but as I said I'm not a keyboard player so I'm not an authority on keyboards...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Nov 20, 2009,
I'm planning on doing mostly bass lines, drums, and of course keys with it. Maybe some background orchestral stuff but I can live without that. Chances are I won't use it much. I have a pretty limited knowledge of piano playing so nothing too fancy is necessary.
I'll definitely take a look at that yamaha model. I don't need much in the way of faders or dials -unless you think I'd end up using them.
Oh and I'm running vista if it matters
76 keys seems like a good number. More wold of course be nice but I could certainly deal with less.
I'm a big fan of just manually penning in stuff using a mouse, always seemed to me to be the most cost effective and efficient solution if you're not a keyboardist.
Yeah I guess that does make sense. I figured a keyboard would be faster an easier. I can read music so I could figure out some simple keyboard stuff if I needed to. But yes, just writing in the notes does sound easier. Haha funny that you menation tweakz guide - I love that site. So incredibly helpful!
Thanks so much for the help guys