Hi just hoping to get a quick answer so I can close this thread.

I'm completely computer illiterate and my laptop is running out of space apparently. It has a 120GB hard drive which is split into two 50+GB sections, only one of them is full, the other is completely empty.

Is there a way to have everything from now on saved to the second disk portion? The drives are Vista (C: ) and Data (E: ) both have NTFS after them but like I said I'm completely clueless.

Thanks for any help.
well when you are installing new things it gives you the option to select where to install, just change the "c" into "e" next time
also you can just always choose to save your things and downloads into your e drive. you can also just move stuff by dragging and dropping them into e
Dick+strings= owww
You could just format the data partition and add it to your existing C: partition, but I forget how to do that, and I have no idea what data is on the E: drive
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." - George Carlin
Quote by rasveer
well when you are installing new things it gives you the option to select where to install, just change the "c" into "e" next time
also you can just always choose to save your things and downloads into your e drive. you can also just move stuff by dragging and dropping them into e

This, except when you drag & drop between drives it copies the file so you will have a copy on each drive but that is just a matter of simply deleting the one you don't need. Annoying though as my HDD is partitioned into 2 drives and have an encrypted file that is read as a third.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
rightclick my computer in the start menu
manage
disc management
format the empty partition
rightclick C drive
extend.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Last edited by Silver-spear94 at Nov 20, 2009,
ahh and also, ask the guys in the computer thread. Ive been using Linux recently, cant remember much about vista.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
rightclick my computer in the start menu
manage
disc management
format the empty partition
rightclick C drive
extend.

I've formatted the empty drive but when I click C: Drive there is no extend option, any ideas what I need to do now?
id suggest just copying everything from one to the other. this way you don't have to change any settings. it should only take about 20-30 min.
You should use the drive with windows installed on it - probably c, for core programs, move all non-program related data to the other drive/partition. So documents, music, videos, cut/paste it all to the other drive. I'd also reinstall all games in the other drive.
Quote by TobyFellrunners
The majority of space is taken up by my Music in iTunes, how would I go about moving all of that to the empty space?
Right click the itunes folder, click cut, right click inside the other drive, click paste. Tell itunes where the music folder is in the options.

p.s. if you can't manage this on your own you either need to get lessons or go back to using pen and paper.
You could try removing the second partition and extending the first one, thats what ive done with my laptop
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Quote by freedoms_stain
Right click the itunes folder, click cut, right click inside the other drive, click paste. Tell itunes where the music folder is in the options.

p.s. if you can't manage this on your own you either need to get lessons or go back to using pen and paper.

No need to be an ass about it man, I appreciate the help but that last comment wasn't called for. You ever thought that some people don't know everything about computers?

Quote by reincarnator
You could try removing the second partition and extending the first one, thats what ive done with my laptop

How do you do that? I formatted it but there was no option to extend the other drive.
Last edited by TobyFellrunners at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by TobyFellrunners
No need to be an ass about it man, I appreciate the help but that last comment wasn't called for. You ever thought that some people don't know everything about computers?

How do you do that? I formatted it but there was no option to extend the other drive.

There's not knowing 'everything' and there's knowing almost nothing, you fall into the latter category. Moving files is about as basic an operation you get passed the on button. I wasn't being an ass, it was genuine advice, someone with your level of knowledge iw bound to spend more money in their lives on computer hardware than they had to because their lack of knowledge led them to kill machines at an advanced rate.

Do yourself a favour and take the well-meant advice rather than taking offense.
Quote by freedoms_stain
There's not knowing 'everything' and there's knowing almost nothing, you fall into the latter category. Moving files is about as basic an operation you get passed the on button. I wasn't being an ass, it was genuine advice, someone with your level of knowledge iw bound to spend more money in their lives on computer hardware than they had to because their lack of knowledge led them to kill machines at an advanced rate.

I didn't know it was as simple as moving files around, I know how to do that, sorry I took offence. From now on when I rip a CD to iTunes will it go to the new folder on the empty drive or will I have to manually move it once it's ripped?
Last edited by TobyFellrunners at Dec 3, 2009,
Quote by TobyFellrunners
I didn't know it was as simple as moving files around, I know how to do that, sorry I took offence. From now on when I rip a CD to iTunes will it go to the new folder on the empty drive or will I have to manually move it once it's ripped?

As far as I know itunes rips to wherever its told its library folder is, as long as you change the settings it should rip to the new location. Hit up the Apple support website, i'm sure they'll have a step by step guide to moving an itunes library.
Quote by freedoms_stain

Leave the dude alone. He knows how to drag and drop. Adjusting partitions is different though. That's all you have to say.
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
Quote by freedoms_stain
As far as I know itunes rips to wherever its told its library folder is, as long as you change the settings it should rip to the new location. Hit up the Apple support website, i'm sure they'll have a step by step guide to moving an itunes library.

Alright man, thanks alot. To the poster below, thanks but it was just a misunderstanding, no trouble meant. =]