I was wondering if the differences are that much different that it's better to save for a clapton strat than to mod my MiM. I know the neck is a huge difference, I've been told the quality in the wood isn't as good on MiM. Also that the bodies on MIA strats n sig strats are 2-3 piece, while Mex strats are idk what number i even read.

Anyways that doesn't even have to be read.

*Should I mod my made in mexico strat or save for a MIA or clapton series.
up to you, really, how much do you like your MIM? Have you tried the MIA and claptons?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love my MiM, it's the first guitar I bought with my money. I baby her to death. I've tried MIA, didn't notice anything different besides sound, and I'm guessing its mainly due to pickups. The clapton strat at my GC is on the highest shelf. When I asked the guy to take it down he said they only take it down for serious buyers. Which blew me away. Anyways. I plan on doing big mods on my MiM strat, if it's worth it. I want to get vintage noiseless pickups, and the mid boost kit on Black Friday. In time I plan on putting claptons neck on it. I'm just wondering if the body on his strat is much different than a MiM strat. I looked at specs, both say Alder.
The bodies are both alder. Basically the same, but basically not either. They're made differently. Different plants and different care makes them different. The American ones will be better because they have to be. Fender probably has higher standards because tehy sell for much more.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Quote by hoochki
I love my MiM, it's the first guitar I bought with my money. I baby her to death. I've tried MIA, didn't notice anything different besides sound, and I'm guessing its mainly due to pickups. The clapton strat at my GC is on the highest shelf. When I asked the guy to take it down he said they only take it down for serious buyers. Which blew me away. Anyways. I plan on doing big mods on my MiM strat, if it's worth it. I want to get vintage noiseless pickups, and the mid boost kit on Black Friday. In time I plan on putting claptons neck on it. I'm just wondering if the body on his strat is much different than a MiM strat. I looked at specs, both say Alder.

It's pretty normal to have the higher priced guitars only really set for serious buyers which is fair considering the guitars cost alot and also any scratches on them really do depreciate the value of the guitar but that does mean if you look like you have no cash (ie. me) you will never be able to try it out. But yeah definitely try to find a Clapton strat to try out if you feel the price difference isn't worth it but the neck is wonderful you can always change the neck on the Strat. It's all up to you but I love a good playing MIM strat they are so worth it.
I have to say that ive been lucky enough to play a clapton series strat, and it was definately the best strat ive ever played or heard - for me. Ive not played much else in the way of strats other than an MIJ, so I can't give much opinion on the difference.
"Most people die with their music still locked up inside them." - Benjamin Disraeli
The clapton neck profile is weird.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
I really planned on redoing the majority of my MiM strat.
Mid boost kit=$70
09 NEW Clapton neck= $650-750ish(with tuners)
Vintage noiseless pickups= $130
American bridge = $100
MiM Strat= $250(already bought)

All this done, is still far cheaper than buying a new clapton strat. I'm just wondering if it'll be worth the investment
I would never pay half that for a neck. Fender necks are such an incredible rip off when being resold. You're better off ordering from Warmoth and getting a custom neck for like 350-400. Plus then you can have the scale you want and shit like that. Why change the bridge? Personally I wouldn't waste money on any of that overpriced crap. The pickups and mid boost I could justify doing, the rest, if ain't broke don't fix it. The myth that stuff made in America is definitely better (especially in the case of hardware) is just that, complete myth. I wouldn't waste my money on Fender's American crap. It's overpriced and it's no better than their hardware produced in China, Korea, India, Mexico, Japan or anywhere else they may choose to produce in the future.
Also unless you're great at setting up guitars, you're going to end up with a worse guitar or end up paying someone 100+ dollars to get the guitar into playing condition comparable to what you have now.
Ever thought of just buying a used Clapton strat? Also, the neck profile is a Soft V, which is from around the 50s, the radius is 9.25" (same as MIM strats).

To me, comparing between the Clapton strat and others, I didn't find it too special. I did like the mid boost feature, but I use both tone knobs and I don't really want a universal tone knob.
Quote by hoochki

if it has sentimental value and you don't think you'll ever sell it, it's probably worth upgrading it a bit, at least. Don't stick $1000 into it or anything, but a new set of pickups and electronics wouldn't be that expensive, and should make a fairly big difference (stock MIM pickups are fairly poor).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Unless you don't like the neck much on your MIM, it should be fine. Also, I wouldn't put an American bridge on it, probably, because it would require a bit of drilling.

If I were you, I'd put graphtech saddles, an improved nut, and whatever pickups and electronic changes you want to make, and get it set up. You'll have a much improved guitar for just a couple hundred bucks.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
exactly. if it's one of the older ones with the lower quality trem blocks (do the new ones have a steel block? i think i read that somewhere ), maybe upgrading to a steel block would be a good idea, too. But the main thing is not to put too much money into it, while at the same time maximising the improvements.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's an 02.
I'll hold off on the neck. While the neck isn't my favorite, it's still really comfortable.
The bridge on it looks awful to me be honest, I'll take a picture an upload it.
I'll stick with noiseless pickups, mid boost, a set up. My tuners seem off too. They seem shaky, the tuner for my b string seems to get caught up, like stuck almost. I guess I can't complain enough to get them replaced, the guitar stays in tune great.
If your guitar is staying in tune, then there's not much reason to worry about it, but the tuners aren't the best. They could use replacing. Unless you're having some serious problems out of the bridge, I'd stick with it and replace the saddles.

Also, make sure you want the noiseless pickups. They're just okay to me.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
What are you recommendations TN? I don't plan on doing this for a week to a few weeks so I got time to look at other stuff.
For pickups? That depends on what you're looking for out of them.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
I like blues n rock/heavy rock. No metal or anything. I've heard noiseless are dull sounding, but once you add the mid boost kid, they come alive.
That all depends on your budget. If you're willing to spend enough to go boutique, maybe a set of Vintage Hots or Blues Specials from Lindy Fralin pickups. You could also look into Rock Monkey Guitars pickups.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Personally I'd go with a set of Lace Sensors with the hot bridge, but that's just me. And there's no way I'd follow your price guide. I mean if I had to cut it down to necessities I'd say the pickups, the mid boost kit and maybe the bridge. I don't really see why you need a new neck... Especially because it's more than everything else combined.
my favorite single coils are the dimarzio area 61's. I normally hate noiseless single coils except for those
No need for a new neck, more of a want. Huge difference. Like I said before I'm going to hold off. I'm going to stick with pickups and the mid boost kit. I'll check out hte pickups you guys suggested.

Just watched a bunch of videos for lace sensor gold, they are already ahead of noiseless.
Last edited by hoochki at Nov 22, 2009,
I know from personal experiance save your money... I have a Squire Strat which is considered even lower quality than your MIM... honesty other than the electronics there isnt much of a diffrence. Sure the American Strats have a higher quality check from the factory. But all that means is with my Squire or your MIM there is a chance to get a dud. I've played Clapton Strats worth $2500, and MIM's worth $300 and they both felt the same. Dont get me wrong sound wise they are completly diffrent animals. But action wise they felt very similar deffinetly not worth $2000 more just for the hair smother action! But I've also played $300 MIM's that felt like a $50 guitar bought at a garage sale.

I feel that I got lucky with my Squire, I lucked out and got a great body, and true neck. It's straight as an arrow, and honestly feels the exact same as a neck from a $1500 american deluxe.

Instead of paying $2500 for a Clapton Strat which isnt exactly the guitar I want I kept my $250 Squire and started to upgrade it. Currently my guitar is worth roughly $800-$1000 but it is my dream guitar. It has the perfect tone in my opinion, and all the hardware i could dream of. And to be perfectly honest I would put it up against any factory LP or Strat. That includes Fenders $3000+ Signiture Strats, even the Clapton and or Malbsteen "sorry about the spelling".

On the MIM and Squire guitars the biggest diffrence from an MIA is the electronics. The hardware is pretyt much the same my Squire actually came with a MIA Standard Strat's bridge. So I installed Fenders Hot Noiseless Single Coils in the Mid and Neck positions. They are Jeff Beck Signature pickups. Basically they are Fenders Vinatage Noiseless pickups but they are over wound. Which makes them hot, meaning they have an edgier sound than the Vintage pickups. But they still keep the classic Strat tone. I also installed a SD Hotrail in the bridge with a coil tap. For more tone options. To top it off I installed a Clapton 25db Mid Boost kit. The Hotrail and Mid Boost give you damn near endless substain, and get as nasty as anything on the market. And tonal options most guitarists only dream of. This is a guitar you can go from playing deathmetal, to funk, blues, Jazz all at the flip of a switch. But playing clean or with just a hair of gain, is where this guitar really shines. It's like a Strat on steroids it simply screams.

It's a one of a kind guitar, with a one of a kind sound to match. I would be willing to put it up against any LP or Strat on the market today!!! It holds it's own and even out plays many $2500+ guitars, but for 1/3 of the cost!!!