Does anyone have experience with active pickups through a modeling amp? i am concidering doing just that but i have heard that active pickups can cause "clipping"? because of there high output and therefore either the guitar or amp needs its volume turned down so it doesnt overide the amp or something like that, is this true?

heres the setup im looking at
Amp: Roland cube X 30 watt - have yet to try this out but i listened to it on some videos and it has tones of tone variety which is what i want (i mostly play melodic metal/post hardcore that kind of stuff)
Guitar: ESP LTD MH-401 Non tremolo with 81-85 actives or an Ibanez RG3EXFM1 with IBZ Vintage 7 and 8 passives

I had the chance to test both of these pickups out in a store and i noticed the actives had much more note definition and less noise and this was through a marshall 50 watt something, i dont remember if it was tube or modeling. Lemme know what you think
Thanks
actives plus solid state doesn't make a good couple, they are supposed to work with tube amps, their high outputs brings more work to the tubes so they distort more easily with solid state you will only get hizz and feedback
Actives wont go well with all modelling amps. If it was a Vetta or Flextone, maybe, but probably not really with a practice amp like the Cube.
do you know of any non tremolo guitars with good passive pickups under $650, ive looked all over musiciansfriend.com but most of them get low ratings because of there crap pickups on guitars under $400 or any other suggestions would be helpfull and my budget for both guitar and amp is under $1000
Last edited by Distren23 at Nov 20, 2009,
go with Passive PU

The only time you buy active PU is when you have a decent tube amp

Edit:just troll craiglist for the guitar you like,then swap out the PU
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Last edited by O.O Meow O.O at Nov 20, 2009,
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
go with Passive PU

The only time you buy active PU is when you have a decent amp

Fixed.
Nothing wrong with good SS/Modelling amps.
maybe you should save a little bit for a peavey valveking 112 or a vypyr, they can do post- hardcore easily and I'm sure the actives will shine through them, but a little expensive I must say.
Quote by littlephil
Fixed.
Nothing wrong with good SS/Modelling amps.

i agree but clipping on SS is NOT cool
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Yeah, im still pretty nub at guitar though, this is more or less just finding out a good setup that can achieve good solid tones so that i can really test out what i want too see if it is what im looking for and not run into problems later after spending
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
i agree but clipping on SS is NOT cool

Only poweramp clipping. How do you think most distortion or overdrive pedals work? That's all SS clipping.
Maybe I'm just over-analysing what you're saying
if you are sticking with SS better to seek for some good passives, search for a guitar with some good seymour duncan or dimarzios, seymour duncan are ok in my opinion but if you want to hear how really your guitar sounds look for a tube amp, there are some good ones with nice metal tones like peavey or the b-52. Go to your local store and test everything you like, you will eventually find something just have patience and think carefully. You dont want to spend your money in something you dont want
Ok... I'm going to disagree with most of these posts. I have an ESP mh 401 and a Peavey Vypyr 30W and it sounds fine, infact it sounds better than my other guitar( but that's a cheapy strat copy anyway).
The best thing for you to do would be to text it out and see what you think.
active with modeling amps might work since a lot are designed for young metal heads who'll probably have EMGs at some point. Depends though.
I'm going to jump in here to say that actives don't make modellers sound worse. Yes the tone might be more sterile or slightly harsher, but it doesn't make it as bad as some people make it out to sound.

Actives were designed to push the front end of tube amps back in the day when pickups were wound to 7kΩ to 9kΩ. Their design structure is such that it is actually a low output pickup boosted with an active circuit to give a high output. That eliminates the unwanted hum and hiss associated with high output pickups.

When you run it through a modeller, the modelling circuit takes that high output signal and digitizes it. Then the signal is processed. In doing this, it effectively removes any benefits associated with your high output signal.

At then end of the whole processing chain, all your EMGs have done is to give you more volume. You want more volume on your amp? Go turn up the master volume. Serves the same effect as installing the EMGs... and it costs nothing.

EMGs WILL NOT EVER, NOT IN THIS WORLD OR THIS UNIVERSE give you that pushed tube sound. You need a TUBE AMP to get that pushed tube sound. Even the sound of SS being push is not similar to the sound of a tube amp being push.

Don't kid yourself to think that EMGs will make your modelling amp sound like a Dual Recto being pushed. IT WILL NOT. That's like saying a 15 watt Marshall MG will grow up to sound like a Marshall JCM900 when a guitar with EMGs is plugged into it. It will not.

Tubes clip differently to how SS clips, and the sound of SS being clipped is horrible to my ears, yes the more expensive SS amps probably sound better... but its still too harsh, grainy and horrible to my ears. I don't know of any established guitarist who uses EMGs with his solidstate.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 20, 2009,
Tubes clip differently to how SS clips, and the sound of SS being clipped is horrible to my ears, yes the more expensive SS amps probably sound better... but its still too harsh, grainy and horrible to my ears.

You are being very silly. The sound of SS being clipped isn't horrible to your ears, it's horrible to your brains. There are certain SS amps or modelers that would easily fool you in a blind test. And your explanation of extra output giving you more volume makes no sense. Active pickups into a modeler will still drive the pre section more.

This in particularly makes no sense -

"When you run it through a modeller, the modelling circuit takes that high output signal and digitizes it. Then the signal is processed. In doing this, it effectively removes any benefits associated with your high output signal."

Do people not need to use pre-amps with A/D Converters then?

FETs biased at circuit frequencies give off very tube like harmonics too.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
You are being very silly. The sound of SS being clipped isn't horrible to your ears, it's horrible to your brains. There are certain SS amps or modelers that would easily fool you in a blind test. And your explanation of extra output giving you more volume makes no sense. Active pickups into a modeler will still drive the pre section more.

This in particularly makes no sense -

"When you run it through a modeller, the modelling circuit takes that high output signal and digitizes it. Then the signal is processed. In doing this, it effectively removes any benefits associated with your high output signal."

Do people not need to use pre-amps with A/D Converters then?

FETs biased at circuit frequencies give off very tube like harmonics too.

The sound of SS being clipped isn't horrible to your ears, it's horrible to your brains
1)they sound terrible to both

There are certain SS amps or modelers that would easily fool you in a blind test
2)Maybe an axe-fx or vetta/hd-147

And your explanation of extra output giving you more volume makes no sense. Active pickups into a modeler will still drive the pre section more.
3)wut?
Quote by angusfan16
Last edited by O.O Meow O.O at Nov 20, 2009,
There's no reason they can't sound fine together if the Cube's input range will accept the voltage output of the actives (EMG's?) or if it has a input signal level control to allow for adjustment. I don't have any experience with the Roland Cubes, my rhythm guitar player has a Cube 10 that he loves, but he uses it with passives - but also uses it with a Boss GT-10 in front of it for home practice.

I will tell you higher end modelling amps as well as higher end modelling pedals tolerate a very large range of input voltages. I often run a EVO equipt axe into my GNX3K pedal and the EVO outputs ~400mV - but I have also take a liking to throwing an OD pedal in front of the GNX3K to boost the signal for different lead tones where the OD pedal is increasing the voltage beyond the level of my EMG 81 equipt Charvel. And the input circuitry handles it just fine, no nasty non-linear sounding artifacts, etc. Easiest thing before buying the active guitar is just pair the ESP up with the Roland Cube 30 at GC and see how it sounds. My experience with Roland gear is that their stuff is usually very well designed so I would expect to handle input ranges that include active output voltages such as the EMG's (I think these are typically max ~1.2v).
Main Rig:Yami Pac1412 TransRed (EVO, HS2, Hot Rails) ->Bad Horsie->GNX3K ->MagicStomp->L/R PA
Ampeg VL503, Ampeg V4, Digitech GNX2, Art SGX2K; AXES: Yam Pac1412 RedBurst & Weddington Custom & CPX-15W, '63 Gibson SG Custom & '80 ES-350T
+1 to the kitty.

I had a guitar with junk passives back when I had my Vox AD30VT, I put EMGs in it and it sounded A LOT better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
in my experience i found actives to work well with multi effects and modeler because of their sterile tone. it was more easily sculpted. like raging kitty said, the input difference is not even issue with the setup, so don't worry about it sounding bad.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I acctaully own the ibanex RG3ex and I also own a ESP EC-1000 with 81/60 emgs. While the tone isnt amazing I have my old 1x8 peavey vypyr and I dont think it gets any worse bewtween actives and passives. It's acctaully a decent amp that I still pull out from time to time.
The sound of SS being clipped isn't horrible to your ears, it's horrible to your brains
1)they sound terrible to both

Sorry, but this is stupid as Fuzz pedals are very much "Solid State Clipping" and not even trying to be tube like, and still work well. It's not my fault you insist on writing off every SS amp as a Gorilla 10 Watt amp.