So I love my new schecter, now I need an amp to pair with it. I have a wealth of knowledge with electric guitar amps but I am new to the bass world. I know wattage should obviously be more, I have read some on here say 3x the wattage.

It will be used for mainly metal music (detuned)..I am just unsure as to what you guys use and is easiest in terms of transport. Would it be best to get a head and cab, or a 2x10 or 4x10 combo etc.? So far I am leaning towards and ashdown mag of some sort to keep cost relatively low. Thanks
If you plan to play metal, 200 watts is probably the minimum you should be looking at, and more would definitely be better. Yes, you generally need three times the power of the guitarist's amplifier in order to be heard properly. Low frequencies are harder to amplify than high frequencies.

A combo is usually easier to transport than a stack, but not a 4x10 combo. Those take up a lot of room. There are some good ones out there, and they can give you plenty of sound and power. A head/cabinet arrangement is more versatile because you can buy different cabinets and use the appropriate one - a 2x10 for a small gig and a 4x10 for a bigger one, etc.

Ashdown makes a fine amplifier. Try it out and decide if you like the sound.
I agree with fatalgear, except for the 2x10 suggestion, because if you're going to be playing downtuned music, then you are going to want a 4x10 ideally (or a 2x12 or 1x15 depending on preference) because unless you have top of the line speakers, a small number of smaller speakers won't handle the lower notes well.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
So it sounds like Ashdown do make a good head, are their cabs well regarded around here as well?
Quote by d_byrne23
So it sounds like Ashdown do make a good head, are their cabs well regarded around here as well?

their cabs are good and possibly some of the best in their price range tbh.

Im getting an Ashdown Electric blue its bout 180w and its £220 from a local shop hopefully for christmas and its got DI which kinda sold me as a lot of places use PA systems here now and would be good as a stopover for me for a much bigger rig.

i would say 180w is like the bare minimum but if you got an agressive drummer and no PA i think you would need most likely 300w correct me if im wrong im just going from what i can vaguely remeber seeing around here.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I think (honestly) that it is less on the people and more on the venue itself. I have played a jazz gig with like sixteen other people -I can't remember the real number- with a kustom 16w. I also played a show with fifteen people singing and about 12 other people, and the 50w amp wasn't even at 1. The kid drums soo loud, too. The place was pretty small, but we had a lot of people. I think the capacity was 150 people or so. Quite small.

I'd think that 200-300 watts is enough, or the Ashdown Electric Blue because it has the DI.
Quote by Canadian_basser
I think (honestly) that it is less on the people and more on the venue itself. I have played a jazz gig with like sixteen other people -I can't remember the real number- with a kustom 16w. I also played a show with fifteen people singing and about 12 other people, and the 50w amp wasn't even at 1. The kid drums soo loud, too. The place was pretty small, but we had a lot of people. I think the capacity was 150 people or so. Quite small.

I'd think that 200-300 watts is enough, or the Ashdown Electric Blue because it has the DI.

yup and from what i have gathered its just like a toned down mag in power sense so its kinda swayed me into it and kinda the DI is a major selling point also from experience their stuff is reliable and well built.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
First of all, whatever you do, always get the best quality (i.e. spend the most) available to you. Second of all, if you are looking at Ashdown, they're not bad. I personally don't like the tone, but there's nothing really wrong with it. One thing I would suggest is to go for the MAG, or ABM if you can swing it. The Electric Blues are a little weird as I'm very unsure whether they deliver the full 180 watts out of the box, my gut says they probably don't and are probably only packing about 100 watts. As it stands the MAGs are only producing ~180 watts right out of the packaging.
Quote by d_byrne23
So a 300 watt mag head is really 180 watts? I'm confused sorry

it's 300W @ 4 ohms.

with One 8ohm cab, it's only going to put on 180W. Two 8ohm cabs will you give you the full 300
Thanks. Have any of you guys ever bought a head off ebay? it's not tube so I don't imagine it would be too dangerous etc. What has your experiences been with buying heads of ebay?
well with 10 inch speakers the more there are the better it is... other sized speakers just kinda get louder the more there are.

if you downtune then i would suggests a 15" with a tweeter or horn.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E