hey guys my musical tastes have been changing, im back into prog

*evil monkey point at sig*

and im getting a new amp for xmas, probably a b-52 at 221 or 112, havent decided yet

and i want to play songs by dream theater and the liquid tension experiment(dream theater minus the singer)

ive been looking at this

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterling-by-Music-Man-JP50-Electric-Guitar-105614069-i1443096.gc

or a sterling ax 20 or 40

ax40

ax20

im tihnking 550$ maybe 600 for max, but i would like it to be very versatile and not just a metal oriented guitar
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
If your thing is Dream Theater and you aren't willing or able to shell out $2000.00+ for a Music Man Petrucci model, that one would be a good choice. The Sterlings seem to be well made and good playing instruments.
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Nov 20, 2009,
so the jp 50 is kinda like a baby version on his?

yeah i havent even seen 2 grand yet, im only 17 and get like 8$ an hour lmfao

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
id say an s series ibanez i got2 of them and the half stack version of the amp ur gonna get u could get a cheaper 1 and change pickups out on it it will shred and the bridge is so much better than floyds http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-S670PB
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by westdyolf
so the jp 50 is kinda like a baby version on his?

yeah i havent even seen 2 grand yet, im only 17 and get like 8$ an hour lmfao

We've all been there, my friend. Gear costs a fortune and we can never have enough of it.

The Sterling versions of various Music Man guitars and basses are made overseas of good materials, and they omit several of the bells and whistles of their more expensive U.S.A.-made brethren in order to keep the costs down. The Sterling Petrucci model has a different tremolo, different pickups (you can always install the DiMarzios), a conventional nut instead of the compensated nut, no piezo pickup and no "JP" shield inlays on the fretboard. Even without these things, it is a good guitar that should lend itself to a number of styles.
yeah id switch the pups eventually, and theyre all made of basswood, the jp inlays will make me feel as if its not his sig lol(good thing) and i probably wouldnt use the piezo lol

thanks for the help

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
The sterlings are great guitars. I just got a artist deal with them last month and they sent me the AX20, but with some tweaks I wanted. The major things that are different then the real M.M's are, the nut, its plastic and of the non compensated, the neck is finished with a thin satin coat rather than gun stock oil (but if you want just sand it off and use the oil ) the bridge saddles are very thin stamped solid steel, the pick-ups are not Dimarzios, and the tuners are not Schaller but are locking.

My mods to mine were done at the Praxis/ Sterling by Music man shop in Orange Cali. I had a Graphtech Tusq nut installed, Graphtech Classic String Saver saddles installed and for pickups I used a Tonezone for the bridge and a Air Norton in the neck made by Dimarzio. The only thing left is to swap out for locking end pins. The tuners by the way are very very nice. And the finish on these guitars are great and play and feel awesome.