Page 1 of 2
this is a really REALLY weak question... i know, i know. please don't give me shit about it. PLEASE. i'm used to using my fingers to play, but i want to know the best picks to use to play bass for a back up/to play faster than my fingers allow. I just wanted to get suggestions on what would be the most top of the line picks, thanks.
They're not expensive, just go buy a bunch and go nuts, go for thicker ones rather then thinner, obviously.
I think you should be able to play faster with your fingers than with a pick though.
Well I'm not sure of commenting for "Top of the line" because I'm sure you will find some $500 pick out there somewhere but as far as the ones people use the most that would be the 2.0 and 3.0 Big Stubby. There are also those rubber Wedge picks. There are also dunlop tortex ones that come in the 1.13 and i think as high as 1.3 but i forget.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Actually, it isn't a weak question. People who play a bass with a pick often encounter problems when they bum a pick off of their guitar player and it isn't suited to playing bass. Thin guitar picks struck against the thick strings of a bass give a weak sound. You are better off using thicker/heavier picks. There are such things as bass picks, but they aren't very common. Some companies make very fat hard rubber picks that are well suited to playing bass (they are also good for strumming an acoustic guitar).

Picks are cheap. Get a bunch of different ones and see which ones you like.
While on the topic of cheap picks and trying out lots of different ones, I used PicksGalore which is a side project of Strings and Beyond. You can get small quantities of picks and free shipping after $10.

http://www.picksgalore.com/
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
i know they're cheap, but i got about a dollar in my bank account and 5 in my pocket, so i can't really go crazzy. lol. i was more looking for brand names. and yeah, i know thinner ones don't work too well, i delt with that problem already.
Quote by Nuf_Ced88
i know they're cheap, but i got about a dollar in my bank account and 5 in my pocket, so i can't really go crazzy. lol. i was more looking for brand names. and yeah, i know thinner ones don't work too well, i delt with that problem already.

Other than the esoteric companies that make picks out of rocks and such materials, the company that seems to put the most R&D into pick design and construction is Jim Dunlop. Look at their translucent purple "Big Stubby" 3.0 mm picks. They work great on bass and even better on guitars.
actually i checked out the big stubby picks online, they look pretty good. so thanks guys.
Tortex or Dunlop Jazz's are great for bass.

And for the ones that don't work, punch a hole through them put them on a chain or piece of leather and give them to the girl/boy of your choice. Or wear them yourself.
I recommend using felt picks. They give really good tone...closest I've found to sounding like your using your fingers. They fuzz out all over the bass but a little dusting fixes that.
i like dunlops 1.17 mm picks (any variety, im not too picky).
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Either Big Stubbies or Tortex 2mms. Purple ones

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I have suddenly got a love for using Tortex .60's and .73's aswell as using the Fender Celluoid Medium ones after i got given it off a mate when i couldnt find a pick.

It really depends on how what i feel comfortable with i tend to use the tortex ones on pop punk and the celluiod seems to be the best fit for me right now.

Im a really strange person and LMAO my mate went you bassists are failed guitarists and that i was a liar cause i said guitar picks and bass picks are the same and he's a drummer LMAO....
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
am i the only person who prefers using thinner picks? thicker ones are just uncomfortable for me
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by moody git
am i the only person who prefers using thinner picks? thicker ones are just uncomfortable for me

I tend to use 1mm's or .88mm's on bass
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
i prefer thiner picks, u get a crisp sound, i use .88 - 1.14mm sized picks for parts when i want a different sound, both fingers and picks have different advantages in different styles and areas of songs i find, go crazy
I use Gator Grips 2mm.

Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
Use 1mm Steel Dunlops They Own but for some songs i prfer the Jim Dunlop USA NYLON 1mm Thing It Works the charm
i sometimes use big stubby's 3mm, i have a 2mm one too, but i rarely if at all use it anymore
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
I use Fender Heavy Picks...

"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Dunlop jazz here. It's not the thickness that matters, it's firmness (if this was the pit, that would surely be turned into a penis joke). Problem with most of the normal dunlop tortex pics below 1 mm is that they are way too floppy when your digging in by the bridge of a bass. I like the little jazz pics. I've used the transparent purple stubbies and they are too thick to be comfortable in my hand.

there are a lot of tortex jazz, I meant these: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Tortex-Pitch-Black-Jazz-Guitar-Picks-1-Dozen?sku=111003

any of the nylon stuff is going to be too floppy.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Nov 21, 2009,
Just get thick/heavy picks, any will do.
Anything below a heavy/medium won't help you at all on a bass in general, it just sounds horrible.
Quote by eterom11
Yes, it is then!

You are truly a god among men.

Quote by Pancakehead
Dear Scribbllez I Googled it my good sir,
A hearty lol it did stir.

Ending Autumn
Quote by Rancid Ivy
I use Fender Heavy Picks...

Me too, mainly because the guys at the shop give them to me for free.
Quote by Quintex
Me too, mainly because the guys at the shop give them to me for free.

I actually just started using em cuz they looked cool
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
i use .88s too. theyre great, they give a fairly clunky tone but it doesnt feel like picking with a brick.
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Last edited by Jake the Peg at Nov 22, 2009,
I perfer Dunlop Stubbies 3mm for their attack and chunkiness but for the everyday picking i like the Dunlop jazz's.

I don't use picks much since i like to finger pick.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I use a 2mm Dunlop Tortex (think thats it) and a 3mm Stubby. The Stubbys great.
HAVE A NICE DAY!

[IMG]http://www.bdcwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/cactus_jack_photostudio_by_windows8osx-d51sqcw.jpg[/IMG]
I use some Dinosaur 1.20's and Dunlop Big Stubbys 2.00's.

I don't know if you can find Dinosaurs anymore.. but they are my favorite picks, although I use my fingers 100% of the time.

I only ever use picks when I do some chords when I'm just writing stuff for myself.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
its all personal preference really.

I use the free red Guitar Center picks, Fender Heavy's, and sometimes a thumbpick
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Page 1 of 2