I'm planning on making a custom carvin guitar. I really like the look of the walnut body but I have never heard what it sounds like. So what would a walnut body with a maple neck and fretboard sound like.
Blue Red Yellow Green
i have a solid walnut strat, and it sounds really good but the weight of it is pretty bad.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
i have a solid walnut strat, and it sounds really good but the weight of it is pretty bad.

How much does it weigh? What kind of tone does it have?
Blue Red Yellow Green
It should have a ton of sustain because of the weight, but The wood of the guitar barely makes a difference in the sound usually. It's all in the amp and pickups.
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Quote by EVH92
It should have a ton of sustain because of the weight, but The wood of the guitar barely makes a difference in the sound usually. It's all in the amp and pickups.

It makes a tad bit of difference, the difference people get with woods is in acoustics typically.

Walnut I heard is supposed to have a similar tone to Rosewood, the maple would help with brightening it. So it should be a good balance.
The walnut might be better used as a cap rather than the solid body!
Moving on.....
Walnut has a lot of mids with a fair bit of highs and controlled bass. I'd say with Maple it's going to be a mid to high freq heavy guitar with decent amounts of bass.

It's gonna be a growly beast
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I've built 2 guitars from solid Black Walnut. Like said it's pretty damn heavy but it's a great tonewood. Custom basses are made from it because it gives a great bass response and nice mids. You'll want to match it to something like maple to help the high's. Please tell me you're going to finish it in oil? Walnut is beautiful with an oil finish. I built a Flying V copy and a Jackson Soloist copy, both solid Walnut

Walnut is very expensive and hard to get. That's why you don't see hardly any production model solid bodies being made from it. Although there are production basses since not many basses are sold vs. guitars.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]