Im thinking about getting this amp especially for the clean channel for pedals
does this amp work good with pedals?
Last edited by sebaimans at Nov 20, 2009,
The general consensus is that modelling amps don't take pedals too well. So the answer to your question would be no.

For that price range, there's plenty of other good amps, depending on what you play.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
Quote by Ratfish
The general consensus is that modelling amps don't take pedals too well. So the answer to your question would be no.

For that price range, there's plenty of other good amps, depending on what you play.

I play 80s metal, and i live in an apartment so cant be too loud
any suggestions?
Two off the top of my head would be the Line 6 Flextones and the Blackstar HT5. The flextone is an SS modelling amp, and a decent one (MUCH better than the cube). As for the HT, it's a relatively quiet tube amp that has plenty of gain on tap.

I'm not the best person to ask, so hopefully someone else can give some more options.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
Quote by Ratfish
Two off the top of my head would be the Line 6 Flextones and the Blackstar HT5. The flextone is an SS modelling amp, and a decent one (MUCH better than the cube). As for the HT, it's a relatively quiet tube amp that has plenty of gain on tap.

I'm not the best person to ask, so hopefully someone else can give some more options.

but have you tried both?
yeah works good with pedals, ive only got the one pedal on mine at the moment but im lookin at gettin more, and it works fine

(but dont use distortion pedals on the lead channel, makes alot of weird noises) (not sure if thats normal with amps, so i duno)
Gear
Epi Goth Explorer
Schecter Demon 7
Jackson JS30 Rhodes (modded)
Line 6 POD HD500
Roland Cube 60
no it doesn't take pedals well. i had a roland cube 20x and it didnt take them well.

get a blackstar ht-5 combo.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
for home use, 80s metal, with pedals, the ht5 is tough to beat... try a class 5 too if you can.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
the HT-5 is noisy and has alot of feedback.....i played it at music store with a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe and an ESP Eclipse with EMGs and the sound was sterile and shitty. The clean distorts at about 11 oclock. I put a TS9 in front aswell and didnt really help, for all the hype it gets i was extremely dissappointed.

i have a Roland Cube and u can really only get one "good" distortion sound. With all the extra amp "models" i only ever use the R-Fier one as th rest are just rubbish. Although the Cleans are great and stay clean at high volume (unlike the HT-5).

I kinda like the Cube but wouldnt recommend it highly...as much as it pains me you could try a Vypyr but it will not sound fantastic with pedals

Although im yet to try it for myself, my guitar teacher raves about the Orange Tiny Terror with a good O/D in front of it. He plays in an 80's Hair/Heavy Metal band so i guess ur in the same ball park. it will however cost u alot more then the aforemntioned Vypyr, the Ht-5 and the Cube
Quote by TheBackHouse
the HT-5 is noisy and has alot of feedback.....i played it at music store with a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe and an ESP Eclipse with EMGs and the sound was sterile and shitty. The clean distorts at about 11 oclock. I put a TS9 in front aswell and didnt really help, for all the hype it gets i was extremely dissappointed.

1. Put the gain down.
2. Learn to EQ.
3. It's meant to distort at about 11 o clock... That's the entire point of a low wattage valve amp.

Seriously, the Blackstar HT is a brilliant amp for the price it's at.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
1. Put the gain down.
2. Learn to EQ.
3. It's meant to distort at about 11 o clock... That's the entire point of a low wattage valve amp.

This.

The HT-5 continues to impress me every time I try it.

The Class 5 wouldn't be too much of a good option for you. You'd have to hit it with a pedal to get any where near 80's metal. But if you are willing to use pedals it does have amazing cleans and is really responsive.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Yngwi3
1. Put the gain down.
2. Learn to EQ.

1. I had gain at 8 when playing some metal but i knew it would be noisy i didnt hate it for that. But when i was playing with gain at about 4/5 (because i was playing a lil bit of Rockabilly) it was still feedback central.

2. I'm pretty sure it doesn't take a genius to know that u don't get rediculous hissing if you EQ it conservatively.

3. It may be the point of the HT-5 but not everyone wants crackly cleans when there playing a clean interlude. It just sounds crappyy for his kind of music.
Quote by holycow
no it doesn't take pedals well. i had a roland cube 20x and it didnt take them well.

i run all my pedals through my 20x perfectly fine.
i could barely get my ht5 to break up on the clean channel below 4:00...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
i could barely get my ht5 to break up on the clean channel below 4:00...

i might have tried a bad apple then...i just go defensive when ppl told me i was doing things wrong

yall say im crazy....but I's heard with my own two ears...two towns over...yall laughed at me, but its all true....when it happens to you you'll know