I've recently taken quite a liking to the lead guitar sounds in bands like Guster and Something Corporate where there's tons of sustain and glassy highs on the lead, with almost a violin-like sound. Playing in a piano-oriented rock band, this is pretty much the sound I wanna go for. I play through a Marshall 50w combo.

Anyways, I plan on buying a new guitar and a bunch of effects around the holidays. Any suggestions towards getting this kind of sound? (My total budget for everything is roughly $1500 USD)

Thanks guys.
Les pauls have great sustain, throw p-90s in one and you'll sustain for hours.

You could use a compressor to get some sustain

May I ask what kind of Marshall?
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Fernandes Sustainer Kit

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
Fernandes Sustainer Kit

Sustainiac > Fernandes sustainer imo. Just much more easer to install the former then the latter. And yea I would agree with sustainer for the most sustain.
Quote by jetwash69
Sustainiac > Fernandez

well i never heard of it, or used either one soooo...

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
What ever you do, Don't say MG otherwise this thread will turn into a "Forget guitar you must change amp first" Answers which was not you're question. But for Sustain, if you're not familiar with fernandez sustainers or whatever, you really cannot go wrong with a les paul, or a guitar of that style.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
What kind of Marshall?

For sustain you need a decent tube amp, lots of volume and an understanding of feedback
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Getting sustainer systems like the Fernandes and Sustainiac are drastic measures and generally I would advise against them. You're sacrificing your neck pickup and making a basically perminant modification to your guitar that you may not always want. They also cost considerably more than a compressor pedal will do, with less flexibility.

If you want to artifically boost your sustain (boosted sustain does have a unique tone with plenty of uses and merits of it's own that differ from sustain via vibrato or feedback) then the thing I'd recommend is simply a good sustainer/compressor pedal. This can be set so every little (or big) sound your guitar makes is perfectly evened out to the same volume; single notes will be just as loud as chords and so long as the string is vibrating it will appear to ring out at the same even volume. The problem is once it does stop ringing it will become silent right away, you'll lose the softer fade in volume and it can become obvious you're using an effect. You can also set it to have less of an effect; you'll get back a more natural fade off (so notes don't end so abruptly) but it also means it won't increase sustain quite so much. You need to choose which is more important, full sustain and volume evenness or a more natural tone. You'll also need to put it in your amp's effects loop to get the best use out of it; many amps do not have an effects loop, so check to make sure. The Digitech X-Series Main Squeeze would be my recommended compressor pedal of choice, it's affordable and I find Digitech are the best brand for compression/delay/chorus/phase/flange/etc effects.

The main key to good sustain though is a guitar with a solid neck joint, good, properly treated woods, low output pickups (some people think high output is louder, and so better for sustain; this is wrong. Higher output pickups will produce a harsher magnetic field aroudn the strings, meaning they won't naturally vibrate for as long), a well installed and solid bridge, a good nut, average strings (too thin and notes will seem to die too quickly as their smaller vibrations aren't picked up well enough; too thick and they won't vibrate easily enough to begin with), higher string height/action and good vibrato technique.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Everything MrFlibble said.

Feedback Sustain is sustain too.

Les Paul with P90s maybe?
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by MrFlibble
Getting sustainer systems like the Fernandes and Sustainiac are drastic measures and generally I would advise against them. You're sacrificing your neck pickup

I've just designed & made my own sustainer driver/circuit where I didn't have to sacrifice my neck pickup, but it did mean a little routing of the 'dead space' of fretboard between the last fret & the neck pickup...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXB92cSQi8E

With this setup, I keep both my own pickups of choice.

Re achieving good sustain - well, IMHO a pedal/external compressor just can't yield decent sustain with a good signal to noise ratio, as all it can do is crank the gain up as the guitar signal fades, ultimately meaning your signal quality really degrades at the tail end of your note as it gets swamped with noise. (or else you have to gate it with an awful chopped off tail)
Last edited by HankMcSpank at Nov 21, 2009,
So an mg...

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
New amp first, you won't get great sustain from your MG.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by MrFlibble
Getting sustainer systems like the Fernandes and Sustainiac are drastic measures and generally I would advise against them. You're sacrificing your neck pickup and making a basically perminant modification to your guitar that you may not always want. They also cost considerably more than a compressor pedal will do, with less flexibility.

+1

As Maniac Music said in their first big Sustainiac ad (back in 1987), the Sustainiac isn't for everyone. If you only have one or 2 guitars, I wouldn't recommend it.

But if you have a bunch of them and if you want to play songs where the orginal artist used it (a few Dokken, A7X, Mus, etc. songs) or any song that relies on feedback (lots of Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, you name it), then the Sustainiac is the way to go.

A compressor pedal has it's uses. Generating dynamic artificial feedback isn't one of them. The Sustainiac has a harmonic mode which lets you make feedback squeel sounds like you get with a loud amp, but it lets you control it a lot easier so you can be consistent.

If keeping your bridge pup is a priority, or if you just like it better (like George Lynch), then check out the Sustainiac "C Model". It clamps on your headstock and works acoustically instead of magnetically.

The Sustainiac doesn't have to be a permanent mod for all guitars. If the control cavity is big enough and if you use push-pulls to control it or buy another pick guard to install the switches, then you can get the guitar back into its original state.

I had to do a lot of routing to get it to fit in my Schecter Avenger, but that's OK...I bought the guitar really cheap at a pawn shop, and it was my fourth guitar, so I don't care. If I were going to put one in a Strat, I'd buy an extra pick-guard and install the battery in the trem cavity.

BTW, I don't use the Sustainiac for actual sustain; I'm already happy with all my guitars for that; I just use it for feedback effects.
yeah exactly id suggest getting a new tube amp, you could do alot of damage with that 1500$ budget.

how much wattage do you want? ill get back with some great choices

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!