Looking for a new bridge pickup for a Godin Lg (all mahogany, Bolt-on, Rosewood Fretboard). Currently have an air norton (neck) and tone zone (bridge). The tone zone is way to muddy. I need something of moderate output that could also be used for higher gain tones. I'm thinking a Paf Joe mabey?
Gear:
-Peavey VTM 120
-Godin Lg (Dimarzio Evo2 and Air Norton)
-Fender MIM Strat with hotrails
-Custom Tele
-Dean Hardtail USA
-Dean 79 USA
New amp? But try a D-Sonic or a Super Distortion.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Dimarzio Norton
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
Dimarzio Norton

I don't think that the Norton is what he wants for a bridge pickup in terms of output and voicing, but that is still an excellent pickup.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by Mur
Looking for a new bridge pickup for a Godin Lg (all mahogany, Bolt-on, Rosewood Fretboard). Currently have an air norton (neck) and tone zone (bridge). The tone zone is way to muddy. I need something of moderate output that could also be used for higher gain tones. I'm thinking a Paf Joe mabey?

I've never really heard of a tone zone getting muddy, how high is your gain? I think you need to switch to a ceramic pickup.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by ibz_bucket
I don't think that the Norton is what he wants for a bridge pickup in terms of output and voicing, but that is still an excellent pickup.

moderate output capable of high gain tones?

you betcha. the Norton is a great choice for that.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by Slanderous666
I've never really heard of a tone zone getting muddy, how high is your gain? I think you need to switch to a ceramic pickup.

in mahogany the tone zone can get real muddy.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
in mahogany the tone zone can get real muddy.

As much as I love dimarzio pickups seymour duncan pups have a wider selection of more trebly pups for mahogany.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Vlasco
Tone Zone...

Muddy?

Damned right, it's a finicky pickup at the best of times.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The Norton and D-sonic are good choices if you want to stay in the DiMarzio family.The Norton has a unique voicing for a mid output pickup,and it can handle higher gain tones within reason.The D-sonic is specifically designed to maintain note clarity and definition in high gain situations and low tunings,so it'd be a good choice if you plan on detuning/playing with higher gain on a regular basis.

My vote would be D-sonic,just because I love the tone and versatility it offers.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
The Norton and D-sonic are good choices if you want to stay in the DiMarzio family.The Norton has a unique voicing for a mid output pickup,and it can handle higher gain tones within reason.The D-sonic is specifically designed to maintain note clarity and definition in high gain situations and low tunings,so it'd be a good choice if you plan on detuning/playing with higher gain on a regular basis.

My vote would be D-sonic,just because I love the tone and versatility it offers.

How does the d-sonic sound at standard tuning? Expressive? The "steve's special" pickup from dimarzio may also work.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
How does the d-sonic sound at standard tuning? Expressive? The "steve's special" pickup from dimarzio may also work.

In my experiences it's a very dynamic and expressive pup in any tuning.The harmonic characteristics and note clarity make it a great lead pickup,and it has nice touch sensitivity and response to picking/playing dynamics.The steve's special is very nice as well.I'm still waiting to try out the new crunch lab model,but I've heard good things about it as well.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
In my experiences it's a very dynamic and expressive pup in any tuning.The harmonic characteristics and note clarity make it a great lead pickup,and it has nice touch sensitivity and response to picking/playing dynamics.The steve's special is very nice as well.I'm still waiting to try out the new crunch lab model,but I've heard good things about it as well.

Not trying to hijack the thread but I currently have a single humbucker poplar bodied maple neck guitar. I'm looking for a pickup that will be expressive and clear and will let the beautiful natural tones of the poplar shine through. I've been looking at the dimarzio tone zone, dimarzio D-sonic and the Rio grande crunch box. Any input would be appreciated :P

Also to the TS I recommend checking rio grande pickups out.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Not trying to hijack the thread but I currently have a single humbucker poplar bodied maple neck guitar. I'm looking for a pickup that will be expressive and clear and will let the beautiful natural tones of the poplar shine through. I've been looking at the dimarzio tone zone, dimarzio D-sonic and the Rio grande crunch box. Any input would be appreciated :P

Also to the TS I recommend checking rio grande pickups out.

I'd give the d-sonic a shot,since it's more clear and expressive than a TZ IMO.I don't know much about Rio pups,so I can't really give an opinion on the crunch box.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I'd give the d-sonic a shot,since it's more clear and expressive than a TZ IMO.I don't know much about Rio pups,so I can't really give an opinion on the crunch box.

My main worry with the D-sonic was that it wouldn't do well with a bluesy type of tone. I'll probably be moving the existing music man humbucker to the neck position as it isn't bad, very reminiscent of a mid gain dimarzio pup.

To the TS check out the dimarzio super distortion, seymour duncan JB and seymour duncan distortion.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
My main worry with the D-sonic was that it wouldn't do well with a bluesy type of tone. I'll probably be moving the existing music man humbucker to the neck position as it isn't bad, very reminiscent of a mid gain dimarzio pup.

To the TS check out the dimarzio super distortion, seymour duncan JB and seymour duncan distortion.

Well,the d-sonic can change its voicing depending on how it's installed and what direction the solid bar faces (neck or bridge).I can't remember what position is what,but one gives more of a percussive and tight tone while the other gives a thicker and fatter sound,which would be better for blues.You could also wire it for coil splitting or series parallel wiring to help get lower gain blues tones.

The D Sonic has the best split sound of any humbucker I´ve tried so far. Especially with the bar towards the bridge.
Quote by Vlasco
The D Sonic has the best split sound of any humbucker I´ve tried so far. Especially with the bar towards the bridge.

I will definitely consider the D-sonic then Thanks all!
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
I will definitely consider the D-sonic then Thanks all!

Blade towards the bridge will give you a sharper more defined tone in humbucker mode and really strat like springy tone when split. If you put it away from the bridge it will still be defined but sound chunkier - split it will sound thicker than a strat, assuming you use the pole piece side for the split.
Look at the Rock Monkey Warm Gorilla Fist - http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/warmgorillafist.htm
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Vlasco
Blade towards the bridge will give you a sharper more defined tone in humbucker mode and really strat like springy tone when split. If you put it away from the bridge it will still be defined but sound chunkier - split it will sound thicker than a strat, assuming you use the pole piece side for the split.

I would split the pole piece side for sure. The dimarzio site suggests the bar towards the neck for standard tuning. I don't detune so I am thinking I'll go with the blade away from the bridge.

To the TS rockfield pickups would be great for what you want. Rockfield mafia would work for you or a rockfield turbo.

PS Rockfields are also only 60$ which is a great deal.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Last edited by Slanderous666 at Nov 21, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
Damned right, it's a finicky pickup at the best of times.

I have had it do lots of weird noises but muddy was never one of them. I don´t use a ton of gain though...