After reading that recently deceased thread about race, it made me wonder; the more say, a white person is thrown into african american culture, they are more likely to not appreciate that culture because it overloads them/doesn't make them feel accepted?? or say, perhaps, an african american in a very heavily influenced white culture area, would they be more likely to have negative feelings towards white people?

I'm not going to play the 'I have black friends lololol' card. The closest thing I have to an african american friend is an acquaintence, she's very nice and is pretty groovy. However, she is growing up in a mainly white area, and she is...a hipster pretty cool imo, but would she be different in other surroundings???

just pondering
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
People will do and say people-ish things in situations that involve other people. Anything they do is something a person is capable of and may or may not do.
Sounds like a non-answer, but both. A person who has never been exposed to a group will harbor prejudice from stereotypes. And a person who is in the minority will likely be outcast or even picked on because of his minority status.
Check out my band Disturbed
My town isn't very diverse in race/culture but it seems that the title of this thread is the exact opposite of how humans think.
It's quite hard to answer this effectively, as a white kid growing up in the rural country and taught that black people are bad, attends an all white school and has never seen a black person before would hate them, and harbor a strong dislike when he does see them. At the same time, a white kid attending a racially diverse school with blacks, mexicans and the lik, could be around black people all day, and like them.

There's a lot that factors in to it.
Last edited by Faded Grey at Nov 21, 2009,
A white person being thrown into African American culture isn't racial diversity.

I'd guess that someone growing up somwehere truly multicultural, and meeting both arseholes and great people of a bunch of different races would be more likely to see racial diversity as normal. Someone who's never seen a black guy before is probably going to see them as looking very different, and maybe assume their differences in personality are a result of that, or something.

I don't know. I'm disagreeing, though.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Nov 21, 2009,
anecdote:

I was in a soul band. 8 black guys, and me, the only white guy. I've never felt so loved and accepted. I don't recall what AJ said, or my nerdish reply to him. All I do remember is what Sam said. "Dude, you are soooooo white." *awkward silence* Then we all laughed our asses off.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Racism Isn't A Component That Works From More Or Less Exposure To Races. Racism Is An Observation Of An Individual.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
anecdote:

I was in a soul band. 8 black guys, and me, the only white guy. I've never felt so loved and accepted. I don't recall what AJ said, or my nerdish reply to him. All I do remember is what Sam said. "Dude, you are soooooo white." *awkward silence* Then we all laughed our asses off.

SYK (back in the day): *chuckles* Why, yes. The ratio of micrograms of melanin per milligrams of pigment epithelium IS significantly lower than yours. *snickers* Golly...

I always wondered that. Like myself I grew up in a mixed neighborhood then I moved to a white neighborhood and supposedly changed. :roll eyes: But I think it varies among the person, like my mother says some racist stuff about white people even though she does have some white friends. Or sometimes she'll make fun of the fact that I like white boys or I listen to more "white" music then "black" music. smh parents... idk Like I said it varies for everyone.
talk to me
and i better not hear a word
do me baby
i better not feel it girl
i still got one bullet left in my nine
finna do a love crime
love crime
finna do a love crime

lovecrimes -- frank ocean

Tumblr
I think it varies from person to person, as people have said.

My school is really multiculturally diverse, and I have friends of all races but all my closest friends just happen to be Asian for some reason.

But yeah, before I went there, I used to think Polynesians were mean and aggressive. I used to be scared of going near them. Now that I'm friendly with them all, I've come to realise that the majority of them are actually more placid and laid back than everyone else I know.
XIAOXI
Last edited by Abunai X at Nov 21, 2009,
The more I'm around Mexicans the more I never want to be around Mexicans. Living in Arizona this is bad news. I think the original idea is true when people of a certain race conform to their stereotypes (like it or not hippies, a lot of people conform to their race's stereotype).
No, I don't think so. I live in Vancouver and in some areas there are more asians than white guys in schools. There isn't any racism and everyone seems to be cool with eachother.
Well, I could tell you that a group ruled by another race is a terrible idea. Citing Austrian empire, and the Rwanda genocide, but living side by side can work out and even break racial tensions, citing differences in America after the Civil Rights movement. There are still racists here, but it is alot less common.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
There's something in psychology known as the "mere exposure effect". The basic premise of it is that the more you are exposed to something or the more you are around something, the more you will like it. It has something to do with the fact that the more you are around something, the more familiar it becomes, so you will develop a more positive attitude towards it. If you have, let's say, a white person, living in an all black community, I'd say that he/she would warm up more to the culture as opposed to say, a white person who has never been directly exposed to black culture/a black community before.
Quote by Sicko 21X7
tremelo the brown note until she caves
Leicester is very multicultural, and i only know a handful of racist people. Dunno, i just don't really talk to many truly racist people.
Last edited by slayer_rule_\m/ at Nov 21, 2009,
Quote by Zaphikh
SYK (back in the day): *chuckles* Why, yes. The ratio of micrograms of melanin per milligrams of pigment epithelium IS significantly lower than yours. *snickers* Golly...

I dunno why but this is hilarious

I grew up in a multi-cultured area in northern London and have never felt any resentment to any race.
I moved to a predominantly white area, there is one black kid in my year and he doesn't seem to mind white people at all.
I'm from one of the southern states, and I don't have any problems with other races. Most of what everyone thinks of us is only from the lesser end of the spectrum, so don't try to judge too harshly.

Morgan Freeman actually spoke at my university once about how he believed the best way to deal with racism is to ignore it, instead of by bringing so much attention to it. Otherwise, it will only take longer to go away.
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
When will you hairless mingers stop dividing everything and everyone into races?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by faint_spirit
I'm from one of the southern states, and I don't have any problems with other races. Most of what everyone thinks of us is only from the lesser end of the spectrum, so don't try to judge too harshly.

Morgan Freeman actually spoke at my university once about how he believed the best way to deal with racism is to ignore it, instead of by bringing so much attention to it. Otherwise, it will only take longer to go away.

This. I believe people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson do more harm for their community than they help it. They're only out to make money for themselves; they don't care about the welfare of anybody.

I know a lot of black guys who don't have any animosity towards whites. I also know one or two black guys who have a huge chip on their shoulder. I just don't pay attention to them, because what's the point? They have the right to be racist. Why get mad at racism? If you're not ashamed of who you are, and what your ethnic background is, what does it matter what somebody else thinks of you?
I lived in a primarily asian town and asian filled school, anyone who wasnt from their culture was ostracized. I then went to a mostly black school, there I was welcome and treated with respect. After this I went to a mostly white school, which was a mixture of both worlds. When I began embracing each culture, they grew more comfortable with me. These experiences coupled with the fact I was a dumb little kid, I didnt not like asians, I loved black people, and was wary of whites. This all changed which I grew up.