Hey all!

Just got a new amp ( Blackstar HT-5 ), and I want a more metal sound from it to produce tone similar to some Metallica, or Tool.

Just wondering if it's an Overdrive pedal I want, or a new Pick-up in the Bridge. Right now, just using stock pups'; If I were to change that pickup, what would be a good pick-up to use? And, would I still be able to use it for cleans like Part 1 of Shine on You Crazy Diamond?(If I'm wrong about that song being 'clean', a correction would be nice...I'm very tone deaf. It just doesn't have crunch so I assume...)

And if I should go the Overdrive pedal route, I've heard the Ibanez TS-9 is good. Any others?

Thank you guys
American Strat
Peavey Vypyr 75w
the TS9 would make a good boost or a good eq pedal would work just as well if you want more tone shaping abilities
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Now, would an Overdrive boost the distortion, and that's it? Is an Overdrive necesary? I have a Boss ML-2 or was it metal zone 2? Either way...or would that just make it muddy? I'd love to test it at a higher volume, can't right now! Just thought of the pedal too late in the night.

Edit:

Also, doubt I could turn the Amp high enough for it to reach overdrive ( new to Tubes, what do I know?) and thin walls where i live), would the OD help reach this at lower levels? Would seem worth getting then.
American Strat
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Last edited by SheLeftMe at Nov 21, 2009,
An OD is just usually a light distortion meant to replicate a tube amp with overdriven power tubes but when people mean using it is a boost they meant set the level to 10 and the gain to 0 to increase the gain and tighten it up a little.

A TS-9 is a great OD pedal for this. Also it depends what Metallica tones you want, Kill 'em All to Ride the Lightning tones come fairly easily but you won't be able to get tones from Puppets to the Black album at all.

If you do want those tones as well as Tool tones you will need a MXR 10 band EQ pedal. They are ****ing magical when you know how to use them and i was able to coax some awesome Dual Rectifier-esque tones out of it with some heavy tweaking.

Also, don't use the MT-2/ML-2, both of those are just horrible.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
O_O. Oh, wow. Better look up that MXR 10, thank you sir.
American Strat
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Quote by SheLeftMe

I'll have to warn you that they have a pretty steep learning curve. My one sat on top of my amp for almost a year before i could really use it, but when you do find out what frequencies are what it can be an invaluable tone shaping tool.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Metallica tones with an HT-5 and a Stratocaster. Hmm, I can get Metallica tones without using any kind of boost at all. For you, perhaps a TS-9 or an EQ if you're savvy enough to use one.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Last edited by ch0 at Nov 21, 2009,
get the TS-9 or an EQ pedal. Maybe also get a higher output pickup for your strat like a Seymour duncan hot rails.
Quote by SheLeftMe

In this case, I'm going to say the 10 band isn't going to be a good idea. Because that is a goddamned expensive pedal if you're new to graphic EQ's.

TS, what I recommend for you is the Danelectro Fish n Chips. It's a much cheaper EQ without as many sliders and it's pretty easy to decipher what all the sliders do and how they affect your tone.

If you're looking for a boost as well how about a Digitech Bad Monkey?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

ummm... sounds like you need to play with your amp settings a bit more... ok, a LOT more.
I'm not sure how easily you could get tones from Tool and Metallica by putting an OD in front of a Blackstar. Aren't they supposed to get Marshall Crunch?
If you really want a metal distortion, though, check out the Hardwire TL-2.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

if you go for a tubescreamer stay away from ibanez... check out the Maxon ones.. they are loads better
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Quote by ch0
Metallica tones with an HT-5 and a Stratocaster. Hmm, I can get Metallica tones without using any kind of boost at all. For you, perhaps a TS-9 or an EQ if you're savvy enough to use one.

Well, I was scared to jump the Gain up on the Overdrive channel, but I did and I got a nice metal tone out of it. Fault of my own for not being good at EQ, or using the ISF to it's full potential.

Quote by SimplyBen
In this case, I'm going to say the 10 band isn't going to be a good idea. Because that is a goddamned expensive pedal if you're new to graphic EQ's.

TS, what I recommend for you is the Danelectro Fish n Chips. It's a much cheaper EQ without as many sliders and it's pretty easy to decipher what all the sliders do and how they affect your tone.

If you're looking for a boost as well how about a Digitech Bad Monkey?

Yea, it is a bit expensive. Bout half the cost of my Digitech Whammy ;_;. :wow, though. That Danelectro is much cheaper...I'll have to check that out. It's nice having a GC 10 minutes away instead of an hour.

Bad Monkey is pretty popular, I need to look that one up too...I'm sure youtube has demo videos or something.

Quote by GrisKy
ummm... sounds like you need to play with your amp settings a bit more... ok, a LOT more.

Haha, yea. As previously stated, EQ skills haven't formed yet. But I've found a bit more of the tone I wanted, if not the right tune.

Thanks everyone for your input; I've always found UG to be extremely helpful on any topics ^^.
American Strat
Peavey Vypyr 75w