I never really get to crank my Mesa DC-5 combo, but today I did. I took it to school and after, i cranked the master up to 10 and the channels to around 3.5. Its almost full bore, the channel volumes become useless after about volume 5, so it was VERY loud.

The OD channel was great, it sounded amazing that loud, I ripped out tons of riffs palm muted and the bass response was good and articulate. Nice and tight, slightly compressed distortion.

The clean channel sounded great too, with about the same volume. very sparkly. When I just play single notes its great, but if i try to play full chords the bass is overwhelming. I like how the bass is set, kind of low, but still very present in the chords. The only thing is, when the bass is heard at a high volume, i get crackling terrible noises. Sometimes there low, but if i played with harder dynamics the bass would make the speaker rattle and crackle really nasty.

I just replaced the Black Shadow with a Vintage 30 before cranking it. I never really got to crank it with the BS in it so I dont know if it had the same problem., i think it did though.

Is it possible I soldered it bad, and I should re-do it? I got both leads, and stuck them in the horizontal slots, I rung the lead around the clip then just soldered on top of them. its nice and firm in place.

Or maybe is the bass coming from the 50 watt dc-5 too much for a 60 watt v30 to handle?

i was planning on getting a 2x12 anyway, but will it solve my problem too? I was just gonna get like an orange or mesa 2x12 with v30's and put the mesa straight out into it. I like having a combo for practices but plugging into a cab for more bass.

thanks
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

Well if you just put in the speaker you need to five it a little time to break in and get used to being used.

Maybe fool with your eq settings for clean, I had a similar problem with my eq being set perfect for distortion, but then I'd switch to clean and it would be mud for chords, not even open chords.

I don't know too much about your boogie, does it have seperate eqs for each channel?
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
its a used V30. no need to break in. I traded speakers.

I dont want to change the eq, i love how it sounds tonally. everything is balanced and crisp, it just seems like my bass is pushing the limit of the speaker, theres no other way to describe it. the chord sounds great, but a second later its "PSHHHAGDFGSNCRACKLE"

it has separate eqs for each channel. I set them to taste.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

ahh well first i would check every screw that holds the speaker in place and make sure its super tight.....then check every other screw you can find...something may vibrating enough that the speaker is shakeing and the movement would sound aweful.....if that doesnt work then maybe resolder wires and thats all i can think of.
This is a G chord....i used to be in a cranberries tribute band.
Quote by Led Hed Lefty
ahh well first i would check every screw that holds the speaker in place and make sure its super tight.....then check every other screw you can find...something may vibrating enough that the speaker is shakeing and the movement would sound aweful.....if that doesnt work then maybe resolder wires and thats all i can think of.

WOW!! I just realized i barely screwed them enough to hold it up, none of them are screwed in all the way! I will do this then and see what happens

I dont know if that is the problem though... it was a very loud buzzing/crackling consistent to what i was playing, so...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Could you have maybe dislodged a tube whilst removing/fitting the speaker?
If the little flap covering the preamp tubes comes unclipped it'd be easy enough to knock one and maybe damage the tube.
I'm such a ****ing idiot!

i was packing up my amp for band practice and i stuffed the cables in the back hastily and i guess I smashed a jack of a cable into a power tube and now its smashed. **** my life!!!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Quote by injected

i was packing up my amp for band practice and i stuffed the cables in the back hastily and i guess I smashed a jack of a cable into a power tube and now its smashed. **** my life!!!!

Wait, this didnt happen before you experienced the crackling? I can't see how the amp would even work, unless it has power tube faliure backup stuff (i.e. shuts off the other matched tube)
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
No, it happened today. Lol
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I witnessed 2 crackling noises at loud volumes on 2 separate occasions this weekend. Both were cable problems. May not be your case however.
Quote by injected
No, it happened today. Lol

I see. I'd just take it in to a tech for a retube/check out the problem.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
noooooo no techs no techs i have no money. I know what my problem right now is dood.. I broke my damn tubes.. I dont need a tech to tell me that.. haha

ill just buy a new pair and screw in the speaker all the way i suppose
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I can't believe nobody has said this before.

It's a 50W tube amp that probably peaks at over 100W, especially when cranked. It's a 60W speaker.

You're probably going to get speaker distortion, no?
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by Juadafi
I can't believe nobody has said this before.

It's a 50W tube amp that probably peaks at over 100W, especially when cranked. It's a 60W speaker.

You're probably going to get speaker distortion, no?

Have you ever heard a DC-5 at full blast? There is no venue I ever played with mine where I could get it past 4-5 on the master vol without drowning out the band.

So although he might have had a one-off chance to crank it it's not going to be a regular occurence.
I sincerely doubt it's 'cone cry', but if it is, it's not going to be something that happens in regular use so it's nothing to worry about. More likely there's something loose in the chassis or maybe a poor solder joint.
Last edited by kyle62 at Nov 22, 2009,
speaker distortion doesn't sound like crackling. If you're getting crackling sounds at high volumes, it is very likely you being on your way to blowing out the speaker.

Imo 60 watts is not enough for a 50 watt amp.
Quote by injected

wat. you just bought those, bro!

btw, I recently bought a 6L6-equipped amp. I wish I hadn't smashed that 6L6 I have.

BTW, why have your master volume at 10? That seems silly, and a good way to lose your hearing. I never turn mine past 4, and my co-guitarist never turns his past 2.5...
Also, we both wear earplugs when practicing.