Howdy all. I have too much money again, so it's time I bought a guitar.

I was thinking of expanding into the realm of the 7 string, and so I was considering either,

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG7321-7String-Electric-Guitar?sku=519787

Or

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/-Omen7-7String-Guitar?sku=513036

Based on the reviews, the stock pickups on both of them aren't that great, so I'll probably end up replacing them later on.

I plan to use it mostly for metal rhythm, maybe some soloing, if that matters at all.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions, my budget is around $500. I took a look at the ESP Stephen Carpenter Model, but the "neck" pickup so close to the bridge is a little weird to me. I don't think I'd appreciate the lack of neck pickup smoothness.

I appreciate it!
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
i personally dont like schecters at all. i think if you're gonna go for a 7, get the ibanez. better fret access, thinner neck, the ESP LTD SC-607 is good but dont get the cheaper one.

The Ibanez is the best choice IMO

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
I played the Ibanez just the other day, it was very nice. Go for that one.
go for the ibanez
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Imho, Ibanez is the way to go, my friend went up to the store to try this guitar one day, I went along with him and had a shot. The necks very nice, like you said the Pups may need changing but by no means are they bad. Overall the Ibanez is just a really comfortable guitar. it does sound good too. I've no experiance with the schecter. So I don't know.

But I think Ibanez is the right choice.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
My friend had a cheapish 7 string Schechter, may of been same model, for a couple of weeks. One of the strap things came out randomly, causing the whole thing to drop and chip. It also didn't sound that great at all, but possibly could of been a dud. Just putting that out there
I'd go for the Ibanez. But yes, change the pups, the stock neck pickup you get isn't great.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I'd get the Omen 7 Extreme model, it has a mahogany body and a maple top, and cheaper than the Ibanez if im correct.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

The schecter sounds WAYY better to me, especially seeing as it has mahogany (I tried both these and got the schecter). But try them both out, for some reason I can't stand Ibanez necks even though everyone says they are objectively better. Personally my favorite necks are ESP then Schecter.

But yeah it depends on how you like the feel, I've never understood why everyone always recommends low level Ibanez guitars. They sound horribly tinny to me and I don't like the necks. With Schecter you get a LOT more for what you spend.
Quote by Tomo009
The schecter sounds WAYY better to me, especially seeing as it has mahogany (I tried both these and got the schecter). But try them both out, for some reason I can't stand Ibanez necks even though everyone says they are objectively better. Personally my favorite necks are ESP then Schecter.

But yeah it depends on how you like the feel, I've never understood why everyone always recommends low level Ibanez guitars. They sound horribly tinny to me and I don't like the necks. With Schecter you get a LOT more for what you spend.

Which one are you talking about? The extreme model or the basic? Because the Omen 7 regular has basswood.

Pickups will most likely go at some point anyway.

But the consensus seems to be Ibanez anyway. Thanks all for the help!
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!