In my band I play metalcore/dance and I use a really smooth tone, kind of Flea-esque but with a bit more fret buzz/rattle. Am I alone?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

doesn't matter, cuz smooth is always sexy.

i never really cared too much for rough-sounding tones. or production.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
XD. But is it common to have this kind of tone in metal? I was actually considering a fretless to further this sound. Obscura are pretty awesome in that respect.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I think it's quite ok to have a smooth sounding bass sound, in metal, as opposed to distorted. It would probably mesh with the guitar too much if it was distorted, having it smooth means it has a more distinctive sound seperate from other instruments, making the music more dynamic. Though feel free to occasionally get the fuzz wah out
BTBAM use a really smooth tone, check out the new album and it's really obvious.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by m4l666
XD. But is it common to have this kind of tone in metal? I was actually considering a fretless to further this sound. Obscura are pretty awesome in that respect.
It's usually pretty gross and trebly for the most part. For "more sick" tone, I always thought Steve DiGiorgio always had a sweet tone even if it isn't always easy to hear.
For Metal I Use My THICK Strings i mean they are HUGE because if i use the thin strings i get slapped in the face by them but yh the THICK strings DO get a smoother sound.
Flea has a smooth tone? since when?

Besides that. Imo a smooth tone in metal works much better than the clank with scooped mids. Check out Jeroen Paul Thesseling with Obscura, best tone in metal imo.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVEEE smooth tones in metal.

Steve DiGiorgio's tone on Quo Vadis's Defiant Imagination album is absolutely ****ing sexy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep_9S9WH8TI
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal