So, i do know that these pickups require a power source, possibly in form of a 9v battery. Is there a solution that allows me to attach some sort of power supply to it, that doesn't require me to change batteries all the time?

Also, would it be possible to treat an EMG81/85 set as passives, and simply ignore the need for external power?
1. The batteries last for a crazy amount of hours (3000 I think it was) and if you do up the maths it takes a while for the batteries to run out of juice if you left the cable plugged in 24/7. That and honestly how hard is it to undo a few screws and unplug a 9v battery then replace it and screw the plate back on. You make it sound like it's a chore.

2. Well sort of defeats the purpose of having active pickups if you can use them as passive.
you wont need to change the batteries all the time they last for about 3000 hours.
Quote by Kexmeister
So, i do know that these pickups require a power source, possibly in form of a 9v battery. Is there a solution that allows me to attach some sort of power supply to it, that doesn't require me to change batteries all the time?

Also, would it be possible to treat an EMG81/85 set as passives, and simply ignore the need for external power?

the best solution to this is get a good set of rechargable batteries that can use 9v ones, it will save you a lot of money i rarely have had to change my 9v battery tbh in my Bass the systems are the same cept its bass pickups Lol.

But im being honest the best solution to this would be to get a good rechargable set and have 2 or 3 9v's and so if one passes out then you can switch another in quick and easily while saving a good deal of money.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
that and u should connect another battery in series so it runs on 18 v and then it will have bass that will kick u in the throat
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by azn_guitarist25
1. The batteries last for a crazy amount of hours (3000 I think it was) and if you do up the maths it takes a while for the batteries to run out of juice if you left the cable plugged in 24/7. That and honestly how hard is it to undo a few screws and unplug a 9v battery then replace it and screw the plate back on. You make it sound like it's a chore.

2. Well sort of defeats the purpose of having active pickups if you can use them as passive.

Thanks, thought they lasted something like 20 hours.
But really, the problem wasn't changing them, but having to buy new batteries every few days would really add up.
Quote by selkies
that and u should connect another battery in series so it runs on 18 v and then it will have bass that will kick u in the throat

...and completely ruin any clean soul your pickups might have had.

But if it's metal you want, do try.
Quote by Y00p
...and completely ruin any clean soul your pickups might have had.

But if it's metal you want, do try.

The 18v mod gives EMG's more headroom which makes the cleans better. Makes them sound a little less like active pickups. Double the power does NOT mean double the distortion.
Quote by Kexmeister
Thanks, thought they lasted something like 20 hours.
But really, the problem wasn't changing them, but having to buy new batteries every few days would really add up.

Ha 20 hours man if they made the batteries last that long it's only more power the the EMG hating bandwagon.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
The 18v mod gives EMG's more headroom which makes the cleans better. Makes them sound a little less like active pickups. Double the power does NOT mean double the distortion.

Yeah, 18v mod doesnt ruin the cleans, whoever the hell that idea came from needs to GTFO, I have an EMG 81 and 60, and the 18v mod improved the distortion and the clean, especially the 81. The 81 sounds a lot less tinny than before.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro