ok so im getting my mom to get me some new pickups for chirstmas. Ive done some research and I think I have found the ones I want. The Seymour Duncan sh-4 in the bridge and the seymour duncan '59 in the neck. Is this a good combo for heavy metal? styles such as anything from like thrash/groove/heavy metal. currently my pickups are just stock and they aint sounding to good. I play through a peavy bandit. If you think you know a better combo please let me know.
with that amp you aren't gonna notice a difference in the pickups, i suggest upgrading that first.
I'm assuming you already looked into the SH4 and SH2 set?
I haven't used the 59 or the jazz, but I've heard that the jazz cleans up nicer. If you're not really looking for that, good luck with the 59. I know Dave Mustaine uses a JB in the bridge, and I've heard Arch Enemy does also. What type of metal are we talking about? Black Sabbath, Slipknot, or Children of Bodom?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by flamedragon88
no, I notice a big diffrence when I switch between guitars, my others pickups are alot better and have a more "crunchier" sound and the ones I wanna upgrade have way to much bass

What guitars are you comparing there? Saying one sounds crunchier or bassier than the other will have a lot less to do with the pickups and more to do with body woods and the like. Either way you are MUCH better off upgrading that piece of shit amp you have than you are shovelling diamonds into it
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Dopey_Trout
What guitars are you comparing there? Saying one sounds crunchier or bassier than the other will have a lot less to do with the pickups and more to do with body woods and the like. Either way you are MUCH better off upgrading that piece of shit amp you have than you are shovelling diamonds into it

both are deans, and I was jamming with my guitar teacher, him on the bassier one and me on the crunchier and he says it has to do with the pickups, they are basically the same guitar, and my amp isnt shit its a pretty good amp Ive been playing shows with it everything (just incase your looking at the wrong one its the peavy bandit 112)
Quote by flamedragon88
both are deans, and I was jamming with my guitar teacher, him on the bassier one and me on the crunchier and he says it has to do with the pickups, they are basically the same guitar, and my amp isnt shit its a pretty good amp Ive been playing shows with it everything (just incase your looking at the wrong one its the peavy bandit 112)

Have you changed pickups in either of them? Also the Bandit is granted not the worst for a starter amp, but it's nowhere near the right level of amp where you should be looking at new pickups. Pickups are a replacement for when you have a high quality rig and you are tweaking your tone, not completely revolutionising it
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Dopey_Trout
Have you changed pickups in either of them? Also the Bandit is granted not the worst for a starter amp, but it's nowhere near the right level of amp where you should be looking at new pickups. Pickups are a replacement for when you have a high quality rig and you are tweaking your tone, not completely revolutionising it

O yea well I know that, thats what im looking for aha
there is also the SH-5 Duncan Custom you could use for the bridge with the 59 in the neck. The SH 4 and 5 seem to be similar in sound (heavy metal) but the 5 is suggested for dropped tuning and stuff like that. This is the same set up i've been considering so let me know how it goes!
Epiphone les Paul Standard
Crate GT1200H & Cab
Digitech RP70
DAndario Strings