Ok so I have absolutely no experience with drum machines, but I've been listening to the xx a lot lately and really like what they're doing with a mix of clean guitars and drum machines. How do they do it and what kind of gear would allow me to apply some of the techniques to my recordings? Here's a youtube link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHZVGqqf3gg Thanks!
Hydrogen is a free drum program.
Acoustica beatcraft (haven't tried) is another (not sure if free).
I use EZDrummer, it's a VST for a DAW such as Cubase, Pro Tools, Sonar, etc. Really great, not free... technically.
he's either using a MIDI controller hooked up to a laptop or a hardware drum machine/synth with drum sounds. If you want a good hardware drum machine I would suggest either an Akai MPC or a Roland TR-808
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Thanks. Well hmm. The MPC series looks really expensive, but I just found somewhere that they use that one. I also read up on the BOSS sp 303. Other artists i respect use that (Panda Bear, Madvillain). How much better is the MPC series.
The MPC is a lot better, than the Roland 404 (current production model of what you're talking about) in terms of overall features for sampling, you should probably try both out.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Nov 22, 2009,
you could just use software, there's a relatively cheap version of FL Studio on the market thats great for that sort of thing, or you could use Reaper, but for what you want to do FL will probably have a shallower learning curve.

Last.fm