Page 1 of 2
I'm sure we've all come across people who have no idea what metal is about, or what it sounds like. Some of that has to do with the amount of exposure people have to the genre, but once in a while we all come across somebody who says something so outrageously stupid that we want to facepalm, or bury them alive or something.

So please, share your stories of the dumbasses who know nothing about metal.

I once showed Nile to a guy in my science class, and he told me they sound like The Dillinger Escape Plan!

Last edited by P1ayingW1thF1re at Nov 21, 2009,
This one kid told me he loved death metal, and after I asked him what bands he listened to he said Suicide Silence....

the same kid told me he loved black metal, and after I showed him some Burzum he said the vocals sucked....
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
I once showed this guy Cemetary Gates by Pantera, and he told me that it was too scary, and that I should see a psychiatrist. Thanks for telling my mom, asshole.

However, there are too many times where i've told the people at school that the band they were listening, pretty much sound exactly like riffs from better metal bands...The only thing they can think of is flipping me off. Brilliant.
I met someone who said Maiden wasn't metal but classic rock. I was stunned.
Quote by severed-metal
However, there are too many times where i've told the people at school that the band they were listening, pretty much sound exactly like riffs from better metal bands...The only thing they can think of is flipping me off. Brilliant.

hahaha yes, I've been called a fag because I said I didn't like As I Lay Dying

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
This one kid told me he loved death metal, and after I asked him what bands he listened to he said Suicide Silence....

the same kid told me he loved black metal, and after I showed him some Burzum he said the vocals sucked....

1. Suicide Silence are a deathcore band, it's not like he said Metallica.
2. They do suck.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by SeveredSurvival
I once got told that Emmure are heavier than Behemoth.

Because they use the zero fret more often! duh
this one guy told me he hated thrash cause edguy sucked..
I'M A COWBOY
Quote by romencer17

oooohh I love how people get so worked up about other people not liking their favorite bands.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
I once asked a guy if he like Iron Maiden and he said, I don't listen to that nonsence about bands who sing about love etc etc...... I was like then what do you listen he replied Bullet For My Valentine, H.I.M............... Ozzy. I just left.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
A guy once told me that Iron Maiden had no bassist, just 4 guitarists....
The same guy also said that a metal band doesn't need bass, you just have a guitar tuned down to "bass tuning"...
Tequila!
Have You Hugged Your Toilet Today?

Rig:
Gibson SG Special Faded Cherry Red
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Cry Baby Wah
Marshall MG15DFX
Ibanez TA20
Quote by romencer17

LOL You should hear how obnoxious they were when I called As I Lay Dying, As I Lay Crying
this guy always goes up and says asks if im listening to metal i say yeah he asks for a headphone im listening to some brocas helm and he says wtf this isnt metal?!?! I just was like wow not all metal is the guy screaming 100% of the time...god
------------------------------------------------------------------------
your insane, but reasonable
This metalhead in my science class showed me some Nile, I told him they sounded like Dillinger Escape Plan. You should have seen his face.
from the pages of Guitar Player Magazine letter section:

'Slipknot (best band on earth)'

'Slipknot are the TRUE gods of metal'

'Lamb of God are creating the most innovative and technically advanced music the metal community has seen so far'

'I recommend you interview Pantera'

'Metallica got all of their hardcore fans from albums like '...And justice for all' and the Black album, but now they are the worst thing i have ever heard'

And also, how all guitar magazines get a 'metal' tone by dropping all of the mids and calling it-

'scull-sucking death tone'

'...if you consider yourself the spawn of satan and death metal is your thing'

'fully scooped heaviness in a box'
People think that entertainers are very different from regular people, but we're not. You work hard for your money, we work hard for your money -Gene Simmons

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

Interpret, Adapt, Overcome.
Quote by sound-byte
*tons of dumb comments*

ooohhh man...

I saw some guy on the myspace say this about someone elses band. It made me lol heartily

"If you think about it "jaymes" where did "real death metal" stem from? It didn't just appear one day. It had to come from something "less death metalish." When Pantera was around, that was the heaviest thing there was, but bands stemmed off that style to make what death metal turned into. The times are changing dude, you guy's are just close minded, but that's how all "metal heads" are and will always be."
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Last edited by Monolith295 at Nov 21, 2009,
This one guy told me metal was really hard to listen to and I was like LOL! Cunt.

And then I told everyone how much of a cunt he was for not knowing anything about metal.
Last edited by webbtje at Nov 21, 2009,
Quote by surya22
I met someone who said Maiden wasn't metal but classic rock. I was stunned.

I think we met the same person. I was trying to tell him they were NWOBHM, but he insisted they were classic rock which led me to believe he had never heard music before.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
^ i'm tired my old fogies trying to convince me that the kinks were the first heavy metal band
People think that entertainers are very different from regular people, but we're not. You work hard for your money, we work hard for your money -Gene Simmons

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

Interpret, Adapt, Overcome.
Most people in this forum meet the op's criteria, to be quite honest.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Well in the black metal forum I accidentally called Children of Bodom black metal. Needless to say I looked like an comeplete moron and was flamed. I meant to say I heard Alexi Laiho listened to black metal and I wanted to see what it was.
e-married to Jack (bladez)
Quote by ESPLTDV401DX
Well in the black metal forum I accidentally called Children of Bodom black metal. Needless to say I looked like an comeplete moron and was flamed. I meant to say I heard Alexi Laiho listened to black metal and I wanted to see what it was.

This
Quote by duncang

2. They do suck.

A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by ESPLTDV401DX

dudeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I was there
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by diminishedtobme
This metalhead in my science class showed me some Nile, I told him they sounded like Dillinger Escape Plan. You should have seen his face.

I lolled so hard.
I drink your milkshake.
Quote by VampireGoldfish

I was exaggerating for effect...I'm now glad I did.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.

That cartoon is brilliant.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
I don't talk about metal in real life, so if I may take examples from non-metal forums...

Metallica is the greatest band ever. Not only were they the first real metal band, but they also had the best musicians. Ulrich is the greatest drummer (just listen to how fast Dyer's Eve is), Hammett is the greatest guitarist ever, Cliff owns all (RIP bro), and Hetfield is the greatest vocalist. Well, behind Ozzy, of course.

Dio? The Holy Diver guy? He's ok, but he never sang in a metal band. No, no, Black Sabbath doesn't count. Paranoid is really ****ing metal, but once Ozzy left they turned into hard rock.

Queensryche, an important progressive metal band? Um, dude, they're mainstream rock. Haven't you heard Silent Lucidity? Try Pull Me Under, instead. Dream Theater basically invented progressive metal, although Rush's 2112 is really long too.

You idiots, Metallica wasn't that important. Kreator, Sodom, and Destruction invented all real thrash metal in 1982. The big four just copied them and made it mainstream.
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus........re: the second point.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
I don't talk about metal in real life either.

The only thing that comes to my mind right now would be how someone once asked me if Testament are good... when I was wearing my Testament shirt.
That was more of a momentary logical lapse though.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Quote by diminishedtobme

Am I being mocked?
Quote by progbass
dudeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I was there

dudeeeeeeeeeeeeeee you totally were.
e-married to Jack (bladez)
hmm the only time I bitched anyone out for something like that is when they said behemoth was one of their fav black metal bands, which is acceptable, but then they added "Conquer All kicks ass!".

then again, it was dethxplosion...

Sumdeus
Kid 1: Dude, you need more metal on your ipod

Kid 2: No i don't, i have this Nickelback album

Me: lolololol
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Oh, now I remember something. There was a poster in one of the classrooms (I think it was a 7th grade) which had METAL written on it in big, blood red letters.

There was not a single metal band on it, except 'tallica of course.
Not even Pantera or any other formerly metal band. It was chock-full of nu-metal, not even metalcore. That surprised me a bit.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Page 1 of 2