I searched for a Strapping Young Lad thread and was surprised to see the last original SYL thread was months ago, so I made a new one.

Anyway, I never thought I would listen to such chaotic music but I guess SYL just hit the spot perfectly cause its exactly what I was looking for in a new band. Originally I heard of Devin through SYL, but never cared for them. Than I later discovered his solo work, which is fantastic. His approach to production and mixing is really what draws me to his work. I'm really heavy on a good sound, a good tone. I'm what some people call an audiophile, I'm obsessed with a good sound.

Devin's tone is truly a work of art. Its crunchy, but not muddy. He understands the guitar is not the only instrument in the mix, so its not required to fill the role of bass. Thats what a bass is for, a guitar is for crunch (at least in this style of music).

Well, enough with me, just listen to them yourself. Please though, if you hate chaotic music, please do yourself a favor and give this a chance. I love music from the soul, but this is meant to be chaotic and heavier for the sake of being.

Detox (Official Video) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f20L0msLsM
Velvet Kevorkian/AHTNF (Live 2006) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYn47sYt6vM
I can't believe it, but you're right. What's happened to the old one?
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Are they in any way like Opeth? Because I've heard the two compared before, at times, and just never really bothered to check them out. I might, though...
Quote by severed-metal
Yes. Absolutely like Opeth. If Opeth was on crack and had tourettes.

this
Quote by severed-metal
Yes. Absolutely like Opeth. If Opeth was on crack and had tourettes.

...would you love me?
Strapping Young Lad is nothing like Opeth. Trust me, I'm also a huge Opeth fan (Just look at my avatar).
CHAOTIC ROFL. syl are pussies, if i may be so bold. if u want real chaos, check out fall out boy. but seriously though check out some norwegian black metal, eg: urgehal or marduk. THey redefine chaos. syl are good musicians though.
Quote by VIO-LENT
CHAOTIC ROFL. syl are pussies, if i may be so bold. if u want real chaos, check out fall out boy. but seriously though check out some norwegian black metal, eg: urgehal or marduk. THey redefine chaos. syl are good musicians though.

I've tried to get into that kind of music, particularly Norwegian Black Metal, but I just can't get in to it. It seems like the genre as a whole has become extreme watered down over the past 10 years.
One of their videos was in Shoot 'Em Up.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Quote by VIO-LENT

The intellectual appears.

I really don't see why this can't just go in the old thread. We all know who SYL are, and people talk about them in there regularly. The only reason it hasn't been too recently is that we're all too busy on, you know, the two albums Dev's just put out and the others that are on their way.
webbtje, if I'm not mistaken, it isn't there anymore.

...would you love me?

I searched for Strapping Young Lad and SYL, but of course not for S Y L.

This can get closed then.

...would you love me?
Quote by we_built_a_tree

This can get closed then.

What a waste of time this has been if thats the case.
strapping young lads okay but devin townsend's band is better... ZILTOID THE OMNISCIENT
Quote by severed-metal
No, I got a mediocre joke in = Success!

I don't know why but that made me laugh.
Quote by ChemicalFire

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Quote by severed-metal
Two mediocre jokes = Double Success!

Stop dammit...
Quote by ChemicalFire

Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Yeah, I'd kinda been picturing it said by Borat. And I'm fairly tired so I'm quite easily amused now...
Quote by ChemicalFire

Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
What the fuck!?

I'm not Borat as much as I am Bruno. Imagine him saying that, except, in Borat's swimsuit, oh and make him wear one of those british soliders hat, like Marge Simpson's hair, except black...Then add a Hitler moustache..

Do a little spin on the catwalk, yeah...Now go to the chair over there, ok..Now..like a dragon..arch your back over that chair and growl, that's how I like it..awww yeah..

Ok, now we've got the basics down, wanna get something to eat?
I already ate. It was delicious. This weird cheese-filled bread stuff. But not gross processed cheese. It was baked into it. Shit was so cash.
Quote by ChemicalFire

Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by Nakedbythecomp