http://uk.news.yahoo.com/16/20091121/ttc-insurers-using-facebook-to-investiga-6315470.html

Canadian insurance firm Manulife has reportedly cut a depressed womans benefits because photos showing her happy were posted on Facebook.

The woman, Nathalie Blanchard, said she cannot understand how Manulife was able to access her account because she had adjusted her privacy settings so that only friends could see her posts, said CBC News.

Blanchard was on leave from her company IBM for over a year after she was diagnosed with depression. She claims she was having fun on her doctors advice in order to forget her problems.

Manulife has confirmed to CBC News that it uses Facebook to investigate clients.

But it said, "We would not deny or terminate a valid claim solely based on information published on websites such as Facebook."

Facebook has already proved its use to human resource departments wanting to investigate potential new staff. Senior managers have also been found to use Facebook to check up on employees.

According to Facebook's current privacy policy, the social networking site will share information to prevent fraud or other illegal activity.

"This may include sharing information with other companies, lawyers, courts or other government entities," says the policy.

There are no words for how stupid this is.

Is that even enough to justify dropping her coverage or are they allowed to just do this on a whim? Surely they would need to prove she was healthy in some concrete manner i.e. a doctor's diagnosis? Not just some photos where she looks like she isn't depressed.
It's incredibly stupid and shows a huge lack of understanding of clinical depression. The fact that she looked happy on a beach somewhere has no bearing on the validity of her condition, even the clinically depressed can have times where the depression lifts for a while.
It is also the case that her doctors could have advised her to take a trip to a place like that, particularly if it is a place associated with a happy time in her life.

Of course this is to be expected, insurance companies care only about profit and will do anything to avoid paying out money. I am surprised however that it is legal for them to drop her on that basis without consultation with her doctor.
Why were they looking at her facebook in the first place?
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Oh wow. That is utterly ridiculous. I would love to hear the psychiatrist or clinician explain this to me in person. Is this where we find ourselves after grad school? haha!
wat
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
lol i have no sympathy for the depressed, it just seems like one of those illnesses that used to be called something else ADD used to be called bein a moron, Depresion used to be called being a bitch
Quote by Colter
lol i have no sympathy for the depressed, it just seems like one of those illnesses that used to be called something else ADD used to be called bein a moron, Depresion used to be called being a bitch

And being an idiot is still called being an idiot.
Quote by Colter

So you claim to know more about the workings of the human brain and mind than thousands of qualified health and science professionals?
Quote by Colter

Wow. Thankfully you're not a doctor and hopefully you don't reproduce either.
boo hoo im depressed.

get over it!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by Colter

Ya, like how most physical sicknesses used to be called "possession by evil spirits" or something similar. Why should we advance our knowledge when we can sit in ignorance.
Moron.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by metaldud536
I wish UG had an IQ test before people could join the forums.

I just wish I could punch people through the internet...
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Colter

Dear Colter:

Stop talking. You are essentially an oxygen thief.
Quote by Colter

Quote by rancidryan
boo hoo im depressed.

get over it!

I was a fool for thinking that I'd never have to use a facepalm stack.
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
Quote by WaitWhat?

I was a fool for thinking that I'd never have to use a facepalm stack.

It looks far too much like yellow blobs fisting each other in a yellow blob square orgy, then smelling their fists and not liking the smell.
Quote by webbtje
Dear Colter:

Stop talking. You are essentially an oxygen thief.

one of RB's aint it?

On topic; this doesn't really surprise me, insurance company's will do almost anything to get out of paying. I though Canada had an NHS type system?
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Yeah. I wish he'd stick to coming up with that sort of humour than the 'ooh he said something rude let's giggle' kind.
Quote by Cal UK
one of RB's aint it?

On topic; this doesn't really surprise me, insurance company's will do almost anything to get out of paying. I though Canada had an NHS type system?

Presumably private health care is still an option.
She probably was getting better, until this...
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by webbtje
Yeah. I wish he'd stick to coming up with that sort of humour than the 'ooh he said something rude let's giggle' kind.

I wish I still had Matt Morgan's dulcet tones in my ears every friday. I also agree with that statement.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Of course this is to be expected, insurance companies care only about profit and will do anything to avoid paying out money. I am surprised however that it is legal for them to drop her on that basis without consultation with her doctor.

Yeah seriously. Come on, canada, you used to be cool. Now you're like your grumpy body.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
insurance companies will purposely misinterpret or twist any sort of thing towards their advantage, theyre all soulless pennypinchers
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman