Playing style?

Features you want?

Budget?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Playing style?

I don't really know style since I'm a beginner

Budget?

Around £150
Last edited by kick_push at Nov 21, 2009,
Quote by kick_push
Just a good sounding guitar for now.

Thats the thing, some guitars will sound better with certain genres/playing styles
Best guide on writing power metal lyrics
Quote by ReaperWaits
keep it fast, keep it epic, and for god sake mention dragons.
Quote by kick_push
I don't really know style since I'm a beginner

Around £150

Well,what genres of music do you like/want to play? That should be an influence on your decision.You could also consider saving up for longer so you can get exactly what you want in a beginners set up and not settle for guitar packs,which are generally low quality and undesirable.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Well,what genres of music do you like/want to play? That should be an influence on your decision.You could also consider saving up for longer so you can get exactly what you want in a beginners set up and not settle for guitar packs,which are generally low quality and undesirable.

Well I like rock music. My favourite bands are RHCP, Audioslave, Cake, REM and etc. I guess that I will be trying to learn quite a lot of songs by RHCP.
there are a few MUSTs in guitar buying. 1. Grip the neck,do you feel pain somewhere,squier necks aren't thick,nor are they thin so just decide whether you like it or not. Second,are you gonna play metal? If so get a guitar with a humbucker. Third,is it comfortable? When you're standing? When you're sitting? These are the most important things for the first guitar in my opinion

Edit: After I read your post I'd say go for it,fender/squier guitars are amazing on the clean or slightly distorted way But pay attention whether it's comfortable or not. If it is,buy it,you won't find a better offer,squiers have amazing clean abilities.
Last edited by Dopemgs at Nov 21, 2009,

Yeah, I would recommend not getting a guitar package. Put as much money as you can toward a decent guitar, and then save up for a better amp later on when you know more what sounds you want.

For now, if you are just beginning and plan on just practicing by yourself, you can easily get away with a tiny pocket amp, like this one (Marshall MS-2).
Need a website? I can make you one for pretty cheap.
Quote by kick_push
Well I like rock music. My favourite bands are RHCP, Audioslave, Cake, REM and etc. I guess that I will be trying to learn quite a lot of songs by RHCP.

Then a strat and a moderate gain amp should do the trick.

My advice would be to save up until you an afford to mix and match your amp and guitar,instead of going for the package deal.A Squier classic vibe strat and a small modeling amp would be a damn fine beginners set up,and should come to around $350-450 USD.

Quote by Lukesterspy
Yeah, I would recommend not getting a guitar package.

Why not,it'll cost him 150$ which is an amazing offer in my opinion. Later on he will be able to decide if he wants to go on,quit,play something else etc. And besides it's kinda harder to play on these cheap guitars,you have to put a lot of time into maintaining and you'll get the primary knowledge of what is adjustable what isn't. He'd be scared to bother the truss rod on an expensive guitar,while on a cheaper it wouldn't be so ****ed up
Quote by Dopemgs
Why not,it'll cost him 150$ which is an amazing offer in my opinion. Later on he will be able to decide if he wants to go on,quit,play something else etc. And besides it's kinda harder to play on these cheap guitars,you have to put a lot of time into maintaining and you'll get the primary knowledge of what is adjustable what isn't. He'd be scared to bother the truss rod on an expensive guitar,while on a cheaper it wouldn't be so ****ed up

The reason to avoid packages is because they're cheap for a reason,AKA the quality sucks.A beginner needs to have a set up that is decently playable and offers a variety of tones fr them to explore,and a low quality amp/guitar can make that difficult or nearly impossible.Low quality guitars have tuning/fret issue,neck problems,and a myriad of other issues that a beginner wont know how to fix and will easily get frustrated with.Cheap amps have electronics issues such as poor speakers,and issues with feedback and the signal cutting out.

In short,he'd be so much better off if he saved up a bit more and got some decent quality gear than getting something just because it's cheap and paying for it with quality and playability in the long run.

Quote by Dopemgs

I guess that is all true, but those cheap guitars are a lot of the time (not all of the time, it really depends on if you lucky or not imo) are just crap and break easily. But then again, you aren't really afraid to try and fix them yourself because they are so cheap.

The reason to avoid packages is because they're cheap for a reason,AKA the quality sucks.A beginner needs to have a set up that is decently playable and offers a variety of tones fr them to explore,and a low quality amp/guitar can make that difficult or nearly impossible.Low quality guitars have tuning/fret issue,neck problems,and a myriad of other issues that a beginner wont know how to fix and will easily get frustrated with.Cheap amps have electronics issues such as poor speakers,and issues with feedback and the signal cutting out.

Yeah, same reason why I think the same thing. He would be way better off getting a decent guitar and a little pocket amp, or saving up some more and getting a pretty good beginner setup.
Need a website? I can make you one for pretty cheap.
Last edited by Lukesterspy at Nov 21, 2009,
I'm just basically repeating what the other guys have said but, don't settle for guitar packages, get a nice guitar you like and save up for an amp later, from what i've seen form others who have bought packages like that, squiers are alright (but i recommend buying one by itself) but encore have always been pretty meh (again from waht i've said).

But go to a shop if you can and try some out, find one you feel comfortable playing and that you like the sound of and if then you think you want it. Buy it!
I know but he'll learn to understand what a good tone is and not buy something mid-class and after that a Spider III if he plans on playing something clean Low quality of the guitar will add to his understanding of how to handle strings with care,how to care about the wood etc. He shouldn't be spoiled by buying something like an Ibanez JEM for a first guitar. Rigorous training of the ear from ear-piercing tone will allow him to admire an awesome tone better
Quote by Kill0Switch
I'm just basically repeating what the other guys have said but, don't settle for guitar packages, get a nice guitar you like and save up for an amp later, from what i've seen form others who have bought packages like that, squiers are alright (but i recommend buying one by itself) but encore have always been pretty meh (again from waht i've said).

But go to a shop if you can and try some out, find one you feel comfortable playing and that you like the sound of and if then you think you want it. Buy it!

This sums it up!
but the squier affinity arent that bad...its when they are those no name brand starter kits that you can buy anywhere that suck
Quote by Dopemgs
I know but he'll learn to understand what a good tone is and not buy something mid-class and after that a Spider III if he plans on playing something clean Low quality of the guitar will add to his understanding of how to handle strings with care,how to care about the wood etc. He shouldn't be spoiled by buying something like an Ibanez JEM for a first guitar. Rigorous training of the ear from ear-piercing tone will allow him to admire an awesome tone better

This statement just oozes stupidity.

Nobody here is telling him to buy a $1000+ instrument as his first guitar,we're telling him to not bargain down on something that is poor quality when he could spend a bit more to get something that will last longer and give him more satisfaction and pleasure when he's playing.Motivation is a big part of being a musician,and someone who has semi-decent gear will practice more often and enjoy playing more than someone who has a sh*tty set up and constantly has issues with their instrument and amp.

Here is my advice that I have gained from 45 years experience and I will repeat again and again.
The ideal guitar to start on is an SG shape. It is shorter scale than a Strat and does not have a fiddly vibrato (trem) system that makes tuning harder.
The best starter SGs in UK are those made by Vintage. Shop around and you should find one around your budget. That leaves the problem of finding some sort of amp at a low price. The best budget/practice amps are around £70 so that might be a problem. You could, temporarily, play through computer speakers while you save up for a decent little amp and that is what I advise at your budget. The other alternative is to consider a used SG (they go on ebay for around £100) which represents better value but not quite the fun of a new model from a shop where you can get the feel of it.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I thought I would comment since I'am a beginer and I bought this package for $250 american. I didn't know if I was going to pick this up as a hobby or not, that's why I bought the package.

It's not BAD but it's definitley not GOOD.

The good: You're a beginer, you aren't really going to know it isn't good. It makes sounds so you think... F'ING AWESOME, until you hear what a guitar should really sound like when playing it. It comes with everything that you need to start taking lessons, down to the pics, bag, tuner. It feels great in my hands. It looks great in my hands. It's comfortable. The headphones it comes with are OK. For the money, it's a good buy.

The bad: Fret buzz. It never stays in tune for more than a day of playing, even without using the tremolo bar. It doesn't sound so good after you hear what a real guitar should sound like in person. The amp is good if you keep the noise level below 4-5 ish. Anything over and the sound starts to suffer bad(a lot of hum with overdrive on higher settings). The electronics on it are not very good, contributing to the not so good sound. The pups HUM so much I can't even use the neck pick up or the middle one(don't know what this is called) by its self. It's not worth enough to upgrade anything, save the money for the next axe you get.

So you can make your own decision, I'am currently looking for another set up to get a better sound and the kind of sound I want.
Last edited by i3oosted at Nov 22, 2009,
id go with a strat if you like RHCP and squier makes some decent beginner ones that you can work your way up from. fender makes great guitars so you cant go wrong
REASON FOR STARVING ARTISTS
I need money! why? my guitar is 1050 and i only have 350. Figured. What? You're a musician, you always need money for a new instrument. Ah that makes sense
OMNOMNOMNOMNOM
Quote by Lurcher
Here is my advice that I have gained from 45 years experience and I will repeat again and again.
The ideal guitar to start on is an SG shape. It is shorter scale than a Strat and does not have a fiddly vibrato (trem) system that makes tuning harder.
The best starter SGs in UK are those made by Vintage. Shop around and you should find one around your budget. That leaves the problem of finding some sort of amp at a low price. The best budget/practice amps are around £70 so that might be a problem. You could, temporarily, play through computer speakers while you save up for a decent little amp and that is what I advise at your budget. The other alternative is to consider a used SG (they go on ebay for around £100) which represents better value but not quite the fun of a new model from a shop where you can get the feel of it.

I disagree, the easiest guitar to start on would be a nylon string acoustic. They are the easiest to play because you dont need alot of strength in your fingers to press down the strings. They are easy to tune. They are cheap. You dont have to buy an amp. They come in 3/4 size and normal. They come in left handed position.

However since the TS wants an electric and has a good taste in music (RHCP FTW !!!) i would recommend a HSS squier strat. Most likely an affinity series or above....

I would also buy the amp separate ... My crate fw 15r sounds pretty average and i can only imagine how shit an sp-10 must sound ...

I would look at a roland cube, peavy vyper, or vox valvetronix ... They really are worth the extra money because you will wont to keep them for a far while..
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.