Hi everyone, I play a Squier Affinity p-bass and i wanted to experement with some heavier strings. So i went down to my local music shop and picked up a pack of Ernie Ball Super Slinky Bass Strings (55-110). So i got home, swapped them for my Dunlop standard guage (45-105, but most of you probably knew that) witch were already on my bass. When i put them on i kept them all loose, then slowly started to put them all in to a standard EADG tuning. When the bass was almost completely in tune i started to notice a small bend in the neck, so i quickly detuned the bass to take tension off the neck and decided to ask the Bass Forum what to do. Ive already stretched the strings like i know im suposed to but they still feel super tight when they are in tune, should i loosen the truss rod? If so, how do i do that? Also, i know my bass is a piece of crap, so you dont have to tell me. Thanks in advance, I know youve got my back Bass Forum.
Quote by mwhan2209
Jesus Paul Jones and John Bonham.

What? I don't see a mistake in that sentence.
if you plan to play it in standard most of the time you should tighten the truss rod a bit. if you're going to downtune keep your truss rod as is and see how it looks in whatever tuning you are going to use.

The strings will feel tighter in standard because for the a higher gauge string to be ring the same note it must be tighter.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Thanks man, i just put it in to tune properly and it dosent apear to be bending too much, if it starts to bend more i might have a mess around with thte truss.
Quote by mwhan2209
Jesus Paul Jones and John Bonham.

What? I don't see a mistake in that sentence.
remember to make small(1/4 turn) adjustments and then retune and let it sit to adjust. wouldn't want any nasty accidents.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Also take the tension off the strings before adjusting the truss rod especialy if you're going to tighten it.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn