I'm looking for a good tube overdrive pedal. I play a lot of stuff thats borderline rock/metal. I don't want anything thats like extreme death metal, but I want something fairly heavy, like maybe classic metal sound? My band plays a lot of prog rock/metal with alot of classical influences. I am mainly looking for something that will give me a good lead tone. I have a 2-channel amp clean/overdrive, but i need a way to boost the gain/distortion for lead work, and i like my amp's rhythm sound, more than i do the lead tone from it. I'm looking for something in the like $50-$100 range. I dont want anything extraordinary, just something good that sounds decent.

I dont know much about different brands, any suggestions?
boss has a lot of different ones you can choose from, and they usually don't crap out for a while
yeah, i was thinking about a MD-2 mega distortion, but that might be too crushing and heavy-sounding. I'm looking for that like glorious liquid lead tone.
would a like DS-2 or OS-2 be good?
I can try out most Boss pedals at my local stores, so I can seee if I like them.
Try to find a used Visual Sound Route 66 pedal. It's a compressor/OD, so you can get really good lead tones.
There's something living in these lines.
what kind of amp?
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
ooooooooooh, stay far far away from the MD-2. I almost posted in that "worst gear you have owned" thread about the MD-2. Pure fizzled garbage.

Anyways, I always recommend people a Maxon OD-808. It'll smooth out any amp, give you great lead tone, and is as simple as can be to use.
Quote by LzAn2424
boss has a lot of different ones you can choose from, and they usually don't crap out for a while

They don't crap out because they are already crap out of the box
Seriously, the boss distortion pedals are only good if you want to mod them.
A good budget distortion pedal is the Barber Dirty Bomb.
Last edited by Sguit at Nov 21, 2009,
i would say for what he wants if he has a tube amp tube screamer is the way to go.
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
I don't think you want a distortion pedal for lead work.

What about your standard ol' tube screamer? Ibanez TS9?
I don't like my amp that much. I'll get a new amp when i can, but as of now i have a Marshall MG100DFX. I don't mind the distortion on it, but the clean sounds are pretty bad. When I got it, like 2 years ago I thought it was awesome because I had been playing through a $40 Squire amp, but now I don't like it half as much.

Yeah, the Maxon pedal, and the Ibanez tube screamer sound pretty good, I'll have to try them out
I would not recommend the OS-2 at all. I almost have to pay someone to take it off my hands.

My friend is getting an MG100DFX from another friend, it has surprisingly good cleans. Not a fan of distortion though. You tried it through a different cab/ different speakers?
i have the combo. The cleans aren't really that bad, it's probably more because my guitar doesn't have that great of cleans; the amp is actually a pretty good amp, it's just that I don't like it that much. I do really like the Marshall JVM amps, but that might be because they are a lot higher quality.

The built in effects are good though. I like them, and the amp's effects are one of the reasons i'm not that familiar with pedals.
Stay away from BOSS unless you're handy with a soldering iron.

For ODs, try the OCD, Maxon 808, TS7/808/9, but really look into a new amp.
The Maxon pedal and the tube screamer seem like what i want, I probably will try out a few BOSSes though, just because that and Dunlop Crybabys are pretty much all I can find in local stores.

yeah, once I get enough money, I will get a new amp. I was thinking about , once i get enough money, getting Peavey 3120 amp head, and one of thier cabs. I also was looking at a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 or 5:50 combo, just because I absolutely love the tone that I've heard from Mesa Boogie amps
Quote by J_Byrd
The Maxon pedal and the tube screamer seem like what i want, I probably will try out a few BOSSes though, just because that and Dunlop Crybabys are pretty much all I can find in local stores.

You may need to make a special trip to another city to try out some pedals.

Quote by J_Byrd
yeah, once I get enough money, I will get a new amp. I was thinking about , once i get enough money, getting Peavey 3120 amp head, and one of thier cabs. I also was looking at a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 or 5:50 combo, just because I absolutely love the tone that I've heard from Mesa Boogie amps

Those are all great heads, but I would recommend staying away from Peavey cabs; I've never played one that I particularly liked. If you get a head/cab, look into other cabs such as Orange, Mesa and Avatar.
Here, you can actually check out something like 20 of the more common overdrive pedals for yourself on the Comparinator (you can even compare them side by side using clean, partial gain, full gain; and raw or with studio mix); you can at least get a ruff idea of some of the differences although actual tone/gain may vary acording to your own gear specifications.

COMPARINATOR OVERDRIVE SHOOTOUT!
~JP~