I was wondering how you guys go about transporting an amp like mine for short distances. The drive is only 5 minutes or so, and the amp fits in the trunk of my car, or I could probably put it in the back seat.

Is it a bad idea to do so with no case? This is my amp:

http://www.1stgearmusic.com/usmasterstva30classatube30-wattcombo.aspx

It is 21" x 18.5" x 10" and weighs 37.5 lbs.

What is the best way to go about this?

On a side note, I have the cardboard boxes it came in, with the foam and bubblewrap, which I use when taking it for the 4 hour drive to college, but the boxes are wearing out pretty fast only after one round trip, so I'd like to know if it's really necessary.
Dude, just throw it in your back seat and don't go 70 around corners. It'll be fine.
What about when it gets cold? Is the short distance to the car from the door enough to crack the tubes?
yeh. i bring my b52-AT112 to school every thursday and it weighs about twice that, and its fine just throwing it in the trunck
Quote by ncbrock
yeh. i bring my b52-AT112 to school every thursday and it weighs about twice that, and its fine just throwing it in the trunck

K, this might sound really picky, but how do you set it? Is it okay to have it on it's back?
Don't worry about the cold like that. It's no big deal. It's completely fine to just put it in the trunk or back seat.
Quote by NemX162
What about when it gets cold? Is the short distance to the car from the door enough to crack the tubes?

I doubt it, it'd take a serious level of cold. I live in Ireland, and play in garages 'breath-visible' cold, and my amps have been grand.
it'd probably be better to keep it upright, just place it so it won't fall over
It's fine to transport speaker side up too, as long as there's no knobs or switches sticking out in the back. That's how my friend transports his vintage Marshall Silver Jubilee.
yes i do transport speaker side up and in a corner of the trunk so it doesnt slide around. I am really peculiar about the cold though, i wont leave it in the car overnight or anything, because when its cold the next time i play it, it takes a while to warm up
Quote by ncbrock
yes i do transport speaker side up and in a corner of the trunk so it doesnt slide around. I am really peculiar about the cold though, i wont leave it in the car overnight or anything, because when its cold the next time i play it, it takes a while to warm up

yeah as long as you don't leave it out in the cold overnight you should be fine. Amps are tough so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Quote by WtrPlyr
I always put mine (4x10) in the backseat, tilted a bit backward and buckled up with the seatbelt.

I did that with my Super 60 yesterday.

Luckily though I normally drive a Tahoe, so I have the big cargo area in the back.

To the TS: Dude, just toss it back there. It's not going to hurt anything unless you get in an accident, or hit some massive bumps doing 90.

In other words, it's fine. Tube amps, and amps in general, are tough customers. Just don't leave it overnight in your trunk. Not that it'll really hurt anything (unless you live in Antarctica); it's just not that good of an idea.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Nov 22, 2009,