Hi guys! Warning, long post haha...but I really need some help and wanted to make sure someone with experience could recommend something based on what I listen to or help narrow down my selection.

So yeah. I've been playing a low-end classical guitar (Yamaha C-40 I think) with half nylon strings for a while. I learned a handful of chords and one song by Bob Marley. But, I figure it's time to buy an electric since I'll actually enjoy playing it.

Next thing...not sure if I should have taken an offer I got today as I'm really new to this: I went to a store today and the owner told me it doesn't matter what I start with because (paraphrasing here) they're all made in overseas and they all have similar quality no matter what brand, unless you buy an American made guitar for thousands of dollars. I don't really believe that, and I figure I could get a much better deal looking online. He was offering a random company's Les Paul copy with amp for $300, or a Strat copy from Austin guitars with amp for $250. The amp looked like it was a 10-watt amp and somewhat junky, and that was pretty much the nail in the coffin, so I told him I needed more time to think about it and left...meh.

Anyway, getting to the point here. I like hard rock, classic rock, some metal, and grunge from the 90s. Favorite bands: Alice in Chains, Metallica, Aerosmith, The Screaming Trees, Soundgarden, Megadeth (won't be able to play them for a long time though hahaha...way too fast), Red Hot Chili Peppers, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin.

Here are some guitars I've been looking at - mostly guitar packs - although I've heard that I should not buy a guitar pack because of bad amp quality:

1. Dean Vendetta XMT with Tremolo: $120, http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Vendetta-1-Electric-Guitar-with-Floyd-Rose?sku=515785
2. Ibanez IJX121 pack: $299.95, http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAIJX121
3. ESP LTD M-10 pack: $229, http://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPLM10
4. Yamaha Gigmaker EG pack (with Yamaha PAC012 Pacifica guitar): $259, http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-GigMaker-EG-ElectricGuitar-Pack?sku=516049
5. Jackson JS1 Dinky: $179, http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-JS1-Dinky-Electric-Guitar-868273-i1445388.gc
6. Epiphone Les Paul Special II pack: $269, http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-II-Electric-Guitar-and-All-Access-Amp-Pack-774713-i1320789.gc
7. Fender/Squier Affinity Strat pack (don't like this one too much, but it was recommended by a couple people to me): $299.99, http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Affinity-Strat-HSS-and-Bullet-150-DSP-Amp-Value-Pack-512576-i1174771.gc
8. Silvertone SIK1 pack: $189.95, http://www.zzounds.com/item--SVTSIK1PAK

And finally, there is one amp that I looked at that I really liked, I know even less about amps though:
Roland Microcube, $129 or $65 on ebay: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp-102542180-i1175936.gc

Any help/advice is appreciated, I'm really lost here lol.

Thanks in advance,
Bensky
Get the Jackson JS1 Dinky and the Peavey Vypyr amp, it's exactly what I have lol and I love it.
i'd say an agile 2000 series and peavey vypyr, most of the major guitar companies guitars at the $200 level aren't going to be do fantastic, but the agile is quite a little value at that price.

the vypyr 15 is $99, and is great for hardrock. The agile 2000 is around $200, so your right at your 300 limit and should have a good guitar and amp to last you a while.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I play an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. Its probably one of the best beginner guitars out there. It comes with a good amp too. If not Id choose the ESP
Lifes a grave and I dig it!
Quote by Victor Escobar
I play an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. Its probably one of the best beginner guitars out there. It comes with a good amp too. If not Id choose the ESP
I completely disagree. I recommend the Agile and Peavey like Gundamnitpete said
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
Man, I've been looking at the Agile 2000s, and I have heard they have really good quality, but I don't like the Les Paul shape as much. Ideally, I'm looking for a shape more along the lines of the Jackson Dinky JS1 I linked in my original post. Does anyone else recommend the JS1 or have any experience with it?

I've pretty much decided on the amp though, the Peavey does look really nice and is like $30 cheaper than the microcube.
I would save a little bit than (if your sure you don't want an agile), and try for one fo these:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-JS30DKT-Dinky-Electric-Guitar-w-Hardtail?sku=520307&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=336248816

I've got a RR shape and it's a nice beginner guitar, i still play mine from time to time.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Bensky

Next thing...not sure if I should have taken an offer I got today as I'm really new to this: I went to a store today and the owner told me it doesn't matter what I start with because (paraphrasing here) they're all made in overseas and they all have similar quality no matter what brand, unless you buy an American made guitar for thousands of dollars.

that's rubbish. You're not going to get an american-made guitar for your budget, but a $400 guitar is going to be a better guitar than a $100 guitar, more often than not.

And it's not like america is the only place making nice guitars, japan makes great guitars, as does europe (though any of those are likely to be outside your budget). Even korea and china are getting better all the time. Plus I've tried plenty of mediocre american-made guitars.

in conclusion, yeah, he's talking rubbish. You realised that already, but worth pointing out.

i'd get something like a yamaha pacifica 112v plus a roland microcube around your budget. You'd probably have to save another $30 or so, though, if that's ok. probably $50, by the time you buy a cable, strap, spare strings etc. Though if you can get it at a local store, they'd probably throw those things in free. EDIT: just checked your original post, if you ask me you're bang on with the amp. If you're willing to go used then that plus the pacifica 112v (new) should be under budget. It'd be worth trying vox's version of the microcube, the da5 as well, but i haven't tried it. i think there's a microspider, too, but spiders generally don't get too great write-ups. EDIT #2: yeah, the vypyr would also be worth a look, but again I haven't tried it yet.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 21, 2009,
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's rubbish. You're not going to get an american-made guitar for your budget, but a $400 guitar is going to be a better guitar than a $100 guitar, more often than not.

And it's not like america is the only place making nice guitars, japan makes great guitars, as does europe (though any of those are likely to be outside your budget). Even korea and china are getting better all the time. Plus I've tried plenty of mediocre american-made guitars.

in conclusion, yeah, he's talking rubbish. You realised that already, but worth pointing out.

i'd get something like a yamaha pacifica 112v plus a roland microcube around your budget. You'd probably have to save another $30 or so, though, if that's ok. probably $50, by the time you buy a cable, strap, spare strings etc. Though if you can get it at a local store, they'd probably throw those things in free. EDIT: just checked your original post, if you ask me you're bang on with the amp. If you're willing to go used then that plus the pacifica 112v (new) should be under budget. It'd be worth trying vox's version of the microcube, the da5 as well, but i haven't tried it. i think there's a microspider, too, but spiders generally don't get too great write-ups. EDIT #2: yeah, the vypyr would also be worth a look, but again I haven't tried it yet.

Honestly I have more than $300 to throw around, but I'm not sure I want to invest much more than $300 on my first beginner guitar/amp especially because I only work during the summer. I think that one would run me about $90-110 over (depending on the amp) because the guitar itself is selling for $320 at most websites. I'm fine with spending a little over though, like if its $1-$20 over no big deal.
uh, dunno if they exist in america, but there is a brand of guitars called ashton, that are designed in australia, and you get a pretty good package for $400nzd, they seem a bit harder wearing than squiers and epiphones. dunno man, but thats new. but i guess you can get low range ibanez's, or corts, (both of which are made by cort) or some secondhand american made one. but tbh, id say that the indo, jap, chinese guiars are up there in quality with some american brands. but i guess americans being americans, and the way theyre lyk 'hoorah! U.S.A.! U.S.A!' (satire- dont take it to heart! algood to be proud of ur country!) think that non american stuff is inferior. but its your choice.
Quote by Llehctim
uh, dunno if they exist in america, but there is a brand of guitars called ashton, that are designed in australia, and you get a pretty good package for $400nzd, they seem a bit harder wearing than squiers and epiphones. dunno man, but thats new. but i guess you can get low range ibanez's, or corts, (both of which are made by cort) or some secondhand american made one. but tbh, id say that the indo, jap, chinese guiars are up there in quality with some american brands. but i guess americans being americans, and the way theyre lyk 'hoorah! U.S.A.! U.S.A!' (satire- dont take it to heart! algood to be proud of ur country!) think that non american stuff is inferior. but its your choice.

Lol honestly I don't think non-American stuff is inferior. That was the store owner who thought that way.

I've come across this guitar just now:
http://www.music123.com/ESP-LTD-M-53-Electric-Guitar-515729-i1384550.Music123

Does anyone know anything about this one?
The Peavey Vypyr amp will last you a long time, it's an amazingly good amp for a beginner. With the $200 left over, that leaves a lot of choices open for an amazing starter guitar as well. Here are a couple links of guitars that are worth a lot more than their price:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG120-Electric-Guitar-103576583-i1167511.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-M-53-Electric-Guitar-515729-i1384550.gc

Also, I hear that the Epiphone Les Paul Special II is really good for a first guitar, but I've never played one.

EDIT: As a side note, I strongly recommend staying away from entry level Dean guitars. From personal experience, let me tell you, you don't want to even go there. Oh, and BC Rich too. I know you didn't mention that brand, but unless you're willing to put at least $500 into one of them, don't even think about it. Bad news written all over them.
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by Offworld92
The Peavey Vypyr amp will last you a long time, it's an amazingly good amp for a beginner. With the $200 left over, that leaves a lot of choices open for an amazing starter guitar as well. Here are a couple links of guitars that are worth a lot more than their price:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG120-Electric-Guitar-103576583-i1167511.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-M-53-Electric-Guitar-515729-i1384550.gc

Also, I hear that the Epiphone Les Paul Special II is really good for a first guitar, but I've never played one.

EDIT: As a side note, I strongly recommend staying away from entry level Dean guitars. From personal experience, let me tell you, you don't want to even go there. Oh, and BC Rich too. I know you didn't mention that brand, but unless you're willing to put at least $500 into one of them, don't even think about it. Bad news written all over them.

Hmmmm. Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely leaning toward the M-53 now...90% sure I'll get that one + Peavey Vypyr 15 amp. I definitely like the features they gave the ESP. Apparently it has a locking tremolo too - not sure what the "locking" part means, but I heard those are better or something? loool

One more question - do these guitars typically come with a cable to hook it up to the amp, or will I need to buy that separately? If so does anyone have any recommendations for good (but also cheap) cables?
Last edited by Bensky at Nov 22, 2009,
Meh any cable will do ...

I would recommend going second hand for your budget ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Ibanez all the way, their low end models have great quality.

Well, the guitars at least. I cant really say the same for the amps, my friends 15 watt ibanez amp sounds like total shit lol
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I get such a big rush from downloading torrents that I just have to cum all over my face right at that moment.
Last edited by Bitches nBagels at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by Tatsumaru
Meh any cable will do ...

I would recommend going second hand for your budget ...

Not sure I want to risk getting an instrument that has been through a lot of crap. I have no idea how to tell, and I don't really have a friend that knows a lot about guitars to come with me looking. Would not want to order a used one over the internet.

Quote by Bitches nBagels
Ibanez all the way, their low end models have great quality.

Well, the guitars at least. I cant really say the same for the amps, my friends 15 watt ibanez amp sounds like total shit lol

So I've heard on both ibanez guitars and amps haha. But aren't they mostly good for metal? I like some classic rock too and I'd nice a nice clean tone for that. Seems like I'd get that better with the M-53 because it has a single coil pickup as well as humbuckers. (going on the fact that the store owner today told me that single coils are not as good as metal, but have a good clean sound...he said humbuckers are more for heavier stuff) Does the ibanez rg120 have that too or...?
Unless you know what you are buying going second hand is very risky. The previous poster who recommended a Yamaha Pacifica 112v and a Microcube is giving you a good option. When you first start playing the guitar they all sound pretty much the same anyway.
Thanks to everyone above, but I went with the M-53 per Offworld92's recommendation, and the Peavey Vypyr 15 watt amp. I would have gone with the Yamaha, but it seems a little too expensive for me as a beginner. Anyway, the M-53 seems to be a pretty popular choice since many stores are sold out of it, and I saw some youtube videos of people playing it and liked what I saw...plus SamAsh had a free $50 gift card coupon with the purchase.

(for anyone who wants that: use coupon FREE50, I'm not working for SamAsh or anything I just thought a $50 gift card coupon was awesome, lol)
Quote by Bensky
Honestly I have more than $300 to throw around, but I'm not sure I want to invest much more than $300 on my first beginner guitar/amp especially because I only work during the summer. I think that one would run me about $90-110 over (depending on the amp) because the guitar itself is selling for $320 at most websites. I'm fine with spending a little over though, like if its $1-$20 over no big deal.

i thought they were $200 in the states? i can't find one on any of the big US chain retailers I know of, but the last time I checked (they may have gone up since) they were going for $200 (ok, $199.99).

if you can get everything in a local store, you can probably get them to throw in a cable, cheap strap, spare set of strings etc. free. it's also an advantage if you're a new player as they'll be there when you need help with setups etc. But online will probably be a bit cheaper, so it's a judgement call. bear in mind that you won't get the free stuff online, and if there's only like $10-$20 in it (as long as you like and trust your local shop, which judging by your original post you probably don't ), it's probably worth buying locally.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?