I've been playing for about 2 years, mostly electric. My Current gear is listed in my Sig, and for xmas this year I'm thinking about getting a new guitar. I play mostly metal, but I like to be able to play anything if the occassion calls for it. My price range is about $300-$500, possibly up to $600. I definitely don't want another Ibanez, good guitars though they may be, and would prefer a non-strat shape.

Any suggestions?

(I realize this is pretty broad)
Needs a new sig

Scandanavian Metal > American Thrash/Groove> Everything Else

Gear:
Jackson JS32T Kelly
Ibanez RG120
RavenRG60
Boss Metal Zone
perhaps the new schecter 7 or 8 strings. not sure about the price though can't be more than 5 or 6. i'd consider the 8 string especially since its tuned all the way to F# B E a d g b e
TS- its incredibly broad, but here are some options-

The LTD EX, the Jackson RR3, KV3 and the Kelly.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
What type of bridge?
What type of neck joint construction?
What pickup layout?
Active or passive pickups?
What woods used?
Anything else the guitar needs to have/do/be?
id go for a epiphone sg, no idea where you are, but that would fall in the range of your budget, that is if your budget was in nz dollars. hahahaha.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
What type of bridge?
What type of neck joint construction?
What pickup layout?
Active or passive pickups?
What woods used?
Anything else the guitar needs to have/do/be?

Personally I'd perfer hardtail but I don't really care.
Bolt on
Gotta have two humbuckers, at least
Active
Alder, mahogany, or something similar for the body, rosewood or ebony for the fingerboard
Nothing really. Versatility and good metal tone are the main things I'm looking for

Quote by Richmanofaction
TS- its incredibly broad, but here are some options-

The LTD EX, the Jackson RR3, KV3 and the Kelly.

I don't think I can get a Kelly because the only one inside my budget (going by the prices from GC website) is the starter one, I'm looking for something more mid end
I am considering an LTD EX, looks great. I'll try one out next time I'm at GC.
Jackson RR3 looks a bit out of my budget range. If I get enough money I'll consider it but I am also considering the RX10D

Also, I might check out Schecters but I've played them before and didn't particularly like them. And I'm not looking for a 7 or 8 string.

Sorry it took me so long to get back ya'll. My computer access is limited at this moment, but thanks for the help.
Needs a new sig

Scandanavian Metal > American Thrash/Groove> Everything Else

Gear:
Jackson JS32T Kelly
Ibanez RG120
RavenRG60
Boss Metal Zone
Quote by COBHC145
Bolt on
Active
Alder, mahogany, or something similar for the body, rosewood or ebony for the fingerboard
Nothing really. Versatility and good metal tone are the main things I'm looking for

I don't think I can get a Kelly because the only one inside my budget (going by the prices from GC website) is the starter one, I'm looking for something more mid end
Jackson RR3 looks a bit out of my budget range. If I get enough money I'll consider it but I am also considering the RX10D

I would also vote having a look at the LTD EX/FX but also have a look at schecters and jacksons. if you liked the jackson id save up a bit then go and get one of them.
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
What kind of metal like what bands? Look at the guitars that they play and base it off that.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Look at the Gibson or Epiphone SG series. For Gibson, you might have to go used - there are a few available new for about US$700.00. If you go for the Epiphone, check out the Prophecy SGs - Great pickups, ebony fretboards, and they play very well.
Quote by COBHC145
Bolt on
Active

Also, I might check out Schecters but I've played them before and didn't particularly like them. And I'm not looking for a 7 or 8 string.

Sorry it took me so long to get back ya'll. My computer access is limited at this moment, but thanks for the help.

Active pickups with your amp will sound great, I'm sure. But seriously, consider an upgrade in amp?