Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, i didn't know where it should go. I figured this would be the best places since i play guitar and the thread is about playing guitar.

So anyway, every year my University has a battle of the bands competition. We get about 15 minute so we figure that's about 3 songs (they're gonna be all cover songs since we don't have any music, but that shouldn't be a problem since everyone usually plays cover songs).

The songs i've thought we should play are (in no particular order):

The Great Plains - Scale the Summit
An Ethereal Drain/Sound the Surrender - Darkest Hour (one of those songs, not both)
The Last Relapse/Better Living Through Catastrophe - All Shall Perish (again, one or the other)
Five Months/Idols and Anchors - Parkway Drive (just because my friend, who's a girl, likes them)
Anchor - Misery Signals
This Lying World - Unearth

My question to you is, what would you guys choose/want to hear?

My choices would be: The Great Plains, Sound the Surrender, The Last Relapse (in that order)

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
really...?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
maybe do songs that everyone would like? unless your whole school likes heavy metal/metalcore etc
im like 1 of 3 in 900+ people in my school who like it
Quote by LiquidFear
maybe do songs that everyone would like? unless your whole school likes heavy metal/metalcore etc
im like 1 of 3 in 900+ people in my school who like it

no, the majority of my university likes generic acoustic stuff and rap... but i really dont care about catering to them. i guess this is geared towards those of you that know these metal songs or anything like them.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
You might not win Battle of the Bands with metalcore if it's based upon crowd cheering. You should play more things that appeal to them or are easy listening.

Sorry if it doesn't help, or you choose to ignore it. Are there judges that judge upon your technical skill and all? If there is, then play something far more complicated.

Your school likes acoustic stuff? Learn maybe an Andy McKee song? Don Ross? John Mayer's acoustic stuff (if you want to please those girls ).

The point of performing music, especially covers, is finding crowd pleasers. You wouldn't play metalcore in front of people who grew up with music in the 30s or 40s, would you? No, you most likely wouldn't as it'd give them a heart attack. Just the same as performing for a school, even if it's people your own age. While people might be like "Wow, he can play fast, etc etc" they will flock to the person playing an acoustic pop song or something more upbeat and is easy to dance too.

Rap? Try some Rage Against The Machine?
to ^:

well, metalcore isn't really the music i prefer, its just for my friend really... The Great Plains is sort of technical, not hard but it involves two handed tapping which is pretty to look at. I actually really don't know how it is judged because i'm a freshman :/, but i really don't want to alter my playlist because of some people that have no idea how to even play the guitar.

But, i am starting off with The Great Plains, i know that. If you dont know it, listen to it. That should start us off pretty well even if no one likes the rest of the songs.

I dont cover music because it pleases the crowd, i cover music because it pleases me. I'd rather the school hate my performance and myself be extremely happy with it.

EDIT: It is however a BATTLE of the bands, not a talent show.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Last edited by SPBY at Nov 21, 2009,
Quote by SPBY
to ^:

well, metalcore isn't really the music i prefer, its just for my friend really... The Great Plains is sort of technical, not hard but it involves two handed tapping which is pretty to look at. I actually really don't know how it is judged because i'm a freshman :/, but i really don't want to alter my playlist because of some people that have no idea how to even play the guitar.

But, i am starting off with The Great Plains, i know that. If you dont know it, listen to it. That should start us off pretty well even if no one likes the rest of the songs.

I dont cover music because it pleases the crowd, i cover music because it pleases me. I'd rather the school hate my performance and myself be extremely happy with it.

EDIT: It is however a BATTLE of the bands, not a talent show.

Which still proves my point. You're battling for popularity which then leads me to believe it's one of the things that is judged by who the crowd likes more. Which if you want to win (if you get anything from it) you'll want crowd pleasers to have people cheer/vote for you. If you get nothing out of it, go for what you want to play. Mix it up though, don't play straight metal, throw some acoustic stuff, Jazz, Blues, Fusion, even Country. Hell, show off that you can cover many genres/styles instead of just one. Even if it's just Metal, Jazz, and Blues.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Which still proves my point. You're battling for popularity which then leads me to believe it's one of the things that is judged by who the crowd likes more. Which if you want to win (if you get anything from it) you'll want crowd pleasers to have people cheer/vote for you. If you get nothing out of it, go for what you want to play. Mix it up though, don't play straight metal, throw some acoustic stuff, Jazz, Blues, Fusion, even Country. Hell, show off that you can cover many genres/styles instead of just one. Even if it's just Metal, Jazz, and Blues.

Go listen to The Great Plains by Scale the Summit

that's our opener

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Disavow your God by Gorod.
The song is extremely difficult but I can't think of another song that would turn heads like that one.
Sorry but I think it's a tad bit arrogant to just play songs you personally like. You're not solely up on that stage to entertain yourself are you? It's about pleasing the crowd as well, otherwise you could just as well stick to the garage rehearsals.
Quote by Equivalence
Sorry but I think it's a tad bit arrogant to just play songs you personally like. You're not solely up on that stage to entertain yourself are you? It's about pleasing the crowd as well, otherwise you could just as well stick to the garage rehearsals.

sorry if i'm not completely in agreement or understanding of your position, but you would tell every band that you dont like that they're arrogant? i dont think the sole purpose of a musician should be to write music/play music that everyone likes; mainstream. I'm not going to alter my taste and to suit a majority of people that i myself wouldn't associate with. I play music that i like because i figure, if i like it, there has to be someone else that likes it.

I know people in the audience who like my music and my choice, even if it's only 1%, i'm going to play to please myself and them.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by Banana Wedgie
I wanna hear At The Gates, then raging on with some Dying Fetus, and ending with Cannibal Corpse

well you just seem to like some good ol' classic death metal.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
sorry if i'm not completely in agreement or understanding of your position, but you would tell every band that you dont like that they're arrogant? i dont think the sole purpose of a musician should be to write music/play music that everyone likes; mainstream. I'm not going to alter my taste and to suit a majority of people that i myself wouldn't associate with. I play music that i like because i figure, if i like it, there has to be someone else that likes it.

I know people in the audience who like my music and my choice, even if it's only 1%, i'm going to play to please myself and them.

It's battle of the bands, which entails it as a competition. If you're in it to win the competition for a prize they're giving (if they're giving one) then you'll want to play things to get the most votes.

Would I play songs that other people like? Yes, I very well would. Would it be songs I hate? No, they wouldn't be. You can find songs that you like that the majority of people like, but it might not be in the metal genre. Which is why I said branch out and look at other genres/styles, find something you like that most people will recognize/know, and you're set.

For example, I bet many people will know a lot of Hendrix's songs, or a few Rolling Stones/The Beatles, they're also fun to play.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
It's battle of the bands, which entails it as a competition. If you're in it to win the competition for a prize they're giving (if they're giving one) then you'll want to play things to get the most votes.

Would I play songs that other people like? Yes, I very well would. Would it be songs I hate? No, they wouldn't be. You can find songs that you like that the majority of people like, but it might not be in the metal genre. Which is why I said branch out and look at other genres/styles, find something you like that most people will recognize/know, and you're set.

For example, I bet many people will know a lot of Hendrix's songs, or a few Rolling Stones/The Beatles, they're also fun to play.

i like metal/prog rock. while i like some classic stuff (hendrix, not so much the stones or beatles) i dont really prefer to play it. I only asked people which of the songs they would choose, or anything along the lines of those genres.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
i like metal/prog rock. while i like some classic stuff (hendrix, not so much the stones or beatles) i dont really prefer to play it. I only asked people which of the songs they would choose, or anything along the lines of those genres.

Pink Floyd?
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Pink Floyd?

again, not so much playing classic stuff

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
again, not so much playing classic stuff

Well, your avatar is System of a Down. Ever thought of playing them? I know they got some good coverage on the radio, or at least down where I'm at.
i dont care if they know it or not

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Have any of u even been to battle of the bands. the bands play what that want to. its about playing what u like to play for the audience. not catering to mainstream loving idiots.
Quote by glumpy7690
Have any of u even been to battle of the bands. the bands play what that want to. its about playing what u like to play for the audience. not catering to mainstream loving idiots.

fucking this^

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
fucking this^

So if your gonna play what you want to, why did you come ask us what you should play?
he gave u songs to choose from, and from a very specific genre. he seems to like metal, so i'm guessing he chose his favorite metal songs, and asked you guys which ones you think he should play, since they are all "so good." Then someone comes out of nowhere saying, "don't play any of those. only play mainstream stuff, cuz u don't need to have FUN playing music, its only to WIN." (loose interpretation)

This thread was supposed to be about choosing songs from a list. not choosing a genre.

Your probably gonna flame me for saying that, but whatever. If you have a brain in your head you should understand what i'm talking about.
Last edited by glumpy7690 at Nov 22, 2009,