I traded my Boss ME-70 for a POD XT Live because the ME-70 didn't fulfill my metal needs. After trading, I realized that even the POD XT Live can't give me a good metal tone, it's thin, fizzy, and sounds like MT-2 to me. Heck, even my Digitech Metal Master sounds better. Can I set a good heavy, tone with the POD XT Live without purchasing the metalpack? Can someone share settings? I've been trying really hard to get a nice heavy rhythm tone ala LOG, Decapitated, new Kreator, Sodom, and generally thrash metal or death metal tone. It's really nice whenever I play jazzy stuff, but 90% of my practice time I play metal. It's really a waste seeing my huge ass pedal collecting dust since I got fed up. I know 80% of tone comes from the amp (My Laney HCM10 doesn't help much either) but considering that even my metal master can do well, I'm sure I've not unlocked the magical tones of the XT Live.

EDIT:BTW, should I just get a really good headphone since my amp fails epically?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Last edited by Broken-pick at Nov 21, 2009,
Bump.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Sweet. Did Line 6 include an installation CD for the XT Live or sumthing? I can't get it to work when I plug it into my PC.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
eek that sucks...but i mean, its line 6...wut do u expect?

im not trying to sound like a douche sry if it seems that way
Quote by ipunchcouches
eek that sucks...but i mean, its line 6...wut do u expect?

im not trying to sound like a douche sry if it seems that way

Because all Line 6 is bad
You seem like a huge-ass douche. I bet you havn't even tried out the POD x3 or Xt and are jumping on the Line 6 Sucks Bandwagon.

@ TS
To unlock the full potential of the Pod, use good headphones. Also, the Metal Add on Pack is really good is what I have heard so you should probably buy that.
And why didn't you get an X3 live instead ? It has many more options than the XT, which is also really good though
I'd love to buy the Metal Pack, but I'm broke and I don't have a credit card, just a college student. I wanted the X3 Live, but it was expensive and it had a bunch of stuff for vocal and bass that I didn't need.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Enter the site that matrixclaw gave you and search for lamb of god there is a good amp model using spinal puppet that fits the style well
Definitely invest in the metal pack. It will save your life......or....you could try just using a noise gate, compressor, treadplate dual model, 2001 treadplate dual cabinet with 57 on axis, and 15% room, and an EQ with a boost at 800hz and 7k hz
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
if you put too much effects of course your tone will suck!, if you have a crappy amp of course you tone will suck, if you have no skill OF COURSE your tone will suck

just spend time on it or get a job stop complaining and get the metal pack!

\thread
Quote by ferguson911
if you put too much effects of course your tone will suck!, if you have a crappy amp of course you tone will suck, if you have no skill OF COURSE your tone will suck

\thread

1) what?
2) True but he's on a budget
3) skill=/=tone
4) Answer number 2
The reason this is happening is because of the Fletcher Munson effect that plagues modelers. Throw an EQ pedal after it with the mids bumped, especially in the upper mids. That'll solve your problem. If the POD has a 7 band EQ that might work too.
Quote by ferguson911

\thread

No, most certainly not /thread. More like /you being a prick.

TS, do what Brendan Clace said, and get the Metal Pack from MatrixClaw's link.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
In my opinion, get a JC60 or 120, or a ZT Lunchbox with a 1x12. Those are good SS amps that'll make the tones in your POD come out very nicely. Tube amps that are clear and don't colour your tone too much are fairly expensive so that might not be for you here.
Quote by Broken-pick
Sweet. Did Line 6 include an installation CD for the XT Live or sumthing? I can't get it to work when I plug it into my PC.
Yes, you need to install the software. You can register your Pod with line 6 using the serial number and then download all the software.

If you bought it from someone else and it's already registered then you should ask them to log on and unregister. Otherwise you may need to contact customer support if you can't register the serial number.
I use guitar rig 4 which i suspect is at least similar. Anyways the tone from GR4 will suck massively through my tiny laptop speaks so i went out and bought a nice set of logitech speakers and it was much much better.
Quote by CrysisFX
I use guitar rig 4 which i suspect is at least similar. Anyways the tone from GR4 will suck massively through my tiny laptop speaks so i went out and bought a nice set of logitech speakers and it was much much better.

I still can't imagine it being any good.
Modelling software/effect units sound best good studio monitors or really good hifi speakers. They are simulating the whole chain, from preamp, effects, power amp, speakers and cabinet and micing of that cabinet. The out result from all that is a full-range audio sound that doesn't work well plugged into an amp. You can either turn off the amp and cabinet modelling and use it as a glorified pedal board, or use some monitors, headphones, or something that reproduce a full audio range. When I started using guitar rig, I ran it out to my practice amp, crap, out to a nice 120W bass amp, crap, other amp, crap. I run it through my stereo with my Cerwin Vega speakers and it sounds great. My headphones, sound great. Anything else, not going to work so well. There is a company that makes a tube amp just for running modelling pedals with it, so its a very clean sounding transparent amp that can generate a fuller range of frequencies, but they cost. I forget the name off the top of my head.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Modelling software/effect units sound best good studio monitors or really good hifi speakers.

This is the problem IMO.

Though that said you can get a pair of Portapros fairly cheap if you want to do it that way, personally I'm not too gone on it.
I own a POD xt. It's not the Live one, but from what I understand they both run the same models, the Live is just in a pedal board format. It sounds like you are running the POD straight into the instrument (guitar) input on your amp. Hopefully your amp has an input for other devices (maybe on the back). If not, you're essentially running your effects like this

Guitar --> Effects in POD --> POD Amp model --> your Laney amp (which also modifies the signal)

In effect, you're running an amp through an amp and that's why the sound is so thin. You're distorting an already distorted signal. If this isn't how you're doing it or you don't have any bypassed input, a good set of headphones will be good investment. I would recommend getting some anyways for volume-less practice

Here are some other ways to use your POD:

Guitar --> POD effects --> POD amp off/bypassed --> your Laney (this means you are using your POD as jump a bunch of stomp boxes w/o the amp model)

Guitar --> POD effects --> POD amp model -->monitors/headphones (this gives you the truest example of the tones coming from your POD)

EDIT: I would recommend you download the manual fromLine 6's website. The hard copy (I'm not sure about the downloadable version) of the manual includes a description of all the effect/amp models, so it can really help you get the tone you're looking for.
Last edited by blasphemy101 at Nov 22, 2009,
Actually you can run amp models through an amp. Sometimes it'll thicken out the digital models and make them sound more warm. Generally it'll be more of a problem with muddiness than thin-ness. I still say Fletcher Munson.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Actually you can run amp models through an amp. Sometimes it'll thicken out the digital models and make them sound more warm. Generally it'll be more of a problem with muddiness than thin-ness. I still say Fletcher Munson.

Obviously I'm just speaking from my own experience. I'm just trying to give him options using what he already has. If he can't drop the $50 for the metal pack I doubt he's going to throw down more for an EQ.