Page 1 of 3
Right- I'm in my first year at Uni (College). I do English Literature at The University Of Birmingham. It's a highly regarded uni- it was my first choice.
Now, I don't know if anyone here has done a similar degree, but basically it's the most pretentious bullshit in the world. Seriously- I don't see how reading 10 pages of criticism of how poetry reaches heights of creativity unparalleled by prose has any ****ing relevance at all.

And so, tbh, I can't stand it. It's boring, monotonous, and just uninspiring. I know studying isn't meant to be fun and games, but the fact is I've been somewhat forced into this: my Dad has had to give me money to cover my costs because the student loans are ****ing shit and don't even cover the minimum expenditure. So not only am I morally tied to this place by my parents, but also financially tied (quitting would throw his money to shit, and I'm already in debt due to Student Loan, which is only gonna build as I go on).

Now, I'm the first in my family to go to Uni. As a result, they have no idea. I imagine they think I'm gonna come out and start earning shedloads straight away (my Dad's already pissed I don't want to join the Armed Forces, but **** that). Everyone has degree nowdays. I'm going to be no different
Hell, all I want to do is play music, but I've had to call of forming bands cos I've had to get a job and have somehow convinced myself that I don't have time (even though the very fact that I'm writing this self-indulgent thread shows I obviously do). So **** knows what I'm gonna do once I get out. I intend to record everything myself out of my own pocket...but a full time job wouldn't permit that surely. And nothing would upset my ever so safe parents more than an academic, degree-holding son with a shit job.

tl;dr: I don't like Uni. Anyone else??
i didnt read any of that but i heard college is a party and im 15 so dont crush my dreams mister

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
Quote by speedy1330
i didnt read any of that but i heard college is a party and im 15 so dont crush my dreams mister

It's a party if you have the time, money, and are doing a shit subject that requires no work.
Hugging thread
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
I'm stumped urm, what were you planning on doing after your degree?
"If I told you that, I'd have to kill you."
"Why is it like.. top secret?"
"No."

Last.fm
Quote by CrazyDavey
drop out
get heroin
????
profit

Off topic -

Your username...

It's not a Plants Vs. Zombies reference, is it?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
Quote by nightraven
can you change course?

To what? Like I said- my only interest is in music, but I worked hard (and I mean hard) to get the grades to do this high end academic course. To throw it away would render all that work meaningless.
Quote by nigeltheginger
Hey, my sister goes to your Uni, and is in your year!

But is she hot? That is the question.
Stay in uni, but change your course. It's worth it in the long run. If you can't find a course you enjoy even slightly, at least choose something less pretentious. Better to have no feelings about it than negative feelings.

I'm doing an engineering course. I didn't make my first choice. I now spend more time on UG than I ever have in my life, and I'm doing nothing to stop it.
Quote by imafool18
Off topic -

Your username...

It's not a Plants Vs. Zombies reference, is it?

it is not, sir.
I don't know about your subject but this time last year I really hated Uni. I didn't really have a problem with my subject (engineering) but I just hated the experience.
I'm not sure how applicable this is to you but it may be of some comfort to know that it was an awful lot better when I went back after xmas, which I really didn't want to do. If I were you I think I'd give it a bit longer and see if it gets better.
I assume your uni has a student advice service. I don't know if you've checked that out but I think it can be pretty useful.
Hope this helps
Marge: You know Homer, it's easy to criticize.
Homer: Fun too!

Vegetarian Pastafarian
Quote by the1
Right- I'm in my first year at Uni (College). I do English Literature at The University Of Birmingham. It's a highly regarded uni- it was my first choice.
Now, I don't know if anyone here has done a similar degree, but basically it's the most pretentious bullshit in the world. Seriously- I don't see how reading 10 pages of criticism of how poetry reaches heights of creativity unparalleled by prose has any ****ing relevance at all.

And so, tbh, I can't stand it. It's boring, monotonous, and just uninspiring. I know studying isn't meant to be fun and games, but the fact is I've been somewhat forced into this: my Dad has had to give me money to cover my costs because the student loans are ****ing shit and don't even cover the minimum expenditure. So not only am I morally tied to this place by my parents, but also financially tied (quitting would throw his money to shit, and I'm already in debt due to Student Loan, which is only gonna build as I go on).

Now, I'm the first in my family to go to Uni. As a result, they have no idea. I imagine they think I'm gonna come out and start earning shedloads straight away (my Dad's already pissed I don't want to join the Armed Forces, but **** that). Everyone has degree nowdays. I'm going to be no different
Hell, all I want to do is play music, but I've had to call of forming bands cos I've had to get a job and have somehow convinced myself that I don't have time (even though the very fact that I'm writing this self-indulgent thread shows I obviously do). So **** knows what I'm gonna do once I get out. I intend to record everything myself out of my own pocket...but a full time job wouldn't permit that surely. And nothing would upset my ever so safe parents more than an academic, degree-holding son with a shit job.

tl;dr: I don't like Uni. Anyone else??

There's your problem.
I hate to be a dick, but if you didn't realise English was going to be pretentious before you joined up, you should have thought it through a bit more.

Quote by the1
It's a party if you have the time, money, and are doing a shit subject that requires no work.

I do law at UCL and find the time to go out.
Last edited by webbtje at Nov 21, 2009,
Quote by the1

Wrong.
I know people working hard as shit who still party at the weekend, every weekend.
Not only that, but doing the same course as you.

My opinion would be to try and find a different subject, but whatever. Just stick with it. University isn't meant to be as easy as piss - otherwise what is the point?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Birmingham University isn't all that its cracked up to be.

Yet with all new courses, you gotta persist if you want to go anywhere with it. I know so many people who have dropped out of Uni prematurally and lived to regret it.

If you still want to leave, wait until after Christmas because ALL courses, Uni or College, are ShocKINGly unco-ordinated until after Christmas.

When I finish my HND i'm going to Glamorgan, because i love the Welsh
I'm at Essex doing Eng Lit and Lang. It is dull, but I knew it would be.

Having said that I find life quite distressing on the whole. The writing essays and attending boring lectures is such something to push me over the edge.

Oh what a lovely day it's been.
Pick a new major maby
I'm doing Electrical Engineering so most of what I do is math related which i am good at

basically, you just need to find what's right for you
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by webbtje

I do law at UCL and find the time to go out.

Oh, I could go out every weekend easily, but it's the money aspect. And every weekend is hardly a "constant" party. Plus, partying get's boring after a while...all clubs are so similar. I love going to gigs, but atm my job is having payroll issues so I can't really afford to spend money I don't have.
Quote by Novacane...

Having said that I find life quite distressing on the whole. The writing essays and attending boring lectures is such something to push me over the edge.

Your at Essex? Me too.
I have a flatmate here who does the course - all I hear is how much of a hell that subject is....
But they still have shit loads of fun @ weekends.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Novacane...

Isn't it? What the f*ck do I learn from lectures?? It goes straight over the head!!

It truly is just people saying many things with little substance.
Quote by nightraven
music course!
it's a shame that your grades for english have gone to waste but it's better to sort this out earlier than later

...how do I multi quote? I don't wanna keep double posting haha

Yeah, but my parents have also had to invest in this. They have a say...and the reason I'm doing this "real" subject is because of that...
Quote by nigeltheginger
My friends certainly seem to think so

Don't ruin my chance and tell her I go on UG...lol?
What halls? Not that I'm gonna bother to find her but nvmnd haha
Quote by the1
Don't ruin my chance and tell her I go on UG...lol?
What halls? Not that I'm gonna bother to find her but nvmnd haha

Hunter Court or something? right by the cricket ground
the majority of great musicians have spent some time on streets, thats where you meet people, sleep at friend's houses, meet women, write music, make art

now i have never lived on the street, or been homeless, but i have watched many a rock doc, and it seems like great fun if youve got a band of friends with you or a band with you.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by the1
Isn't it? What the f*ck do I learn from lectures?? It goes straight over the head!!

It truly is just people saying many things with little substance.

Ha ha yeah. I don't know whether to write random words down, just sit there doing nothing and listen or ignore the lecturer completely.

All a totally worthless way to spend an hour or TWO anyway. Dear oh dear.
If anything, choose a major by what job you want to do out of highschool.

I was in electrical engineering, but didn't want to have to deal with the high possiblilty of getting some crap programming job, so I switched to optical computational and engineering physics. Now I'll get paid to get a Doctorate when I get that far. And I'll work on projects that are actually on the cutting edge of science, and when I get to old to care about that I can resort to teaching.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
It'll probably be better than where I'm at right now. Though, I'm considering doing something in English, so that alarms me a bit. To be perfectly honest, I have absolutely no clue what I'm going to do.

Quote by nightraven

you're telling TS to throw away everything he has achieved in life so far to pursue a life of poverty and misery, all because some hippy rockstars did something similar? being homeless and unemployed isn't a good thing

University life is supposed to be pretty close to that
Last edited by thewho65 at Nov 21, 2009,
Quote by the1
But is she hot? That is the question.

No one has answered this question yet, the answer determines whether threadstarter gets satisfaction or not.
Switch to philosophy.

It may be pretentious but it's easy as hell!

Or is it?
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by nightraven

you're telling TS to throw away everything he has achieved in life so far to pursue a life of poverty and misery, all because some hippy rockstars did something similar? being homeless and unemployed isn't a good thing

1) hippie
2) he said music is all he cares about
3) I never said he should, I also said I have no experience living on the street either, but of all the rocknroll stories I know, the majority of them have spent time homeless only to meet their friends pool together money for a flat/stay at some one elses house.
4) If music means as much to him as he says, then I believe the risk may be worth taking.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Why in the HELL would you take an English Lit course if you don't like it?

It's actually pretty evident that you hate it or else you would be enthusiastic about reading crits of poetry.

IMO, it's your fault for taking something you don't like. You should have taken Audio Engineering or Mass Communications or something if you like music, not fucking Lit.

Your fault.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Highway60Bob
1) hippie
2) he said music is all he cares about
3) I never said he should, I also said I have no experience living on the street either, but of all the rocknroll stories I know, the majority of them have spent time homeless only to meet their friends pool together money for a flat/stay at some one elses house.
4) If music means as much to him as he says, then I believe the risk may be worth taking.

You spelt 'hippy' wrong.
Quote by nigeltheginger
Hunter Court or something? right by the cricket ground

We don't like Hunter Court. They beat us in a competition.

Quote by Novacane...
Ha ha yeah. I don't know whether to write random words down, just sit there doing nothing and listen or ignore the lecturer completely.

All a totally worthless way to spend an hour or TWO anyway. Dear oh dear.

I swear to god, they could start talking about pink-dicked raptors and I wouldn't know.

Quote by isabiggles
Switch to philosophy.

It may be pretentious but it's easy as hell!

Or is it?

Nope. I do it for my MOMD. I'm doing work on Other Minds (Stupidest theory ever) and Inductive Reasoning now. It sucks haha

Quote by st.stephen
No one has answered this question yet, the answer determines whether threadstarter gets satisfaction or not.

If I can get laid maybe I will be happier with my life....
Quote by dudetheman
Why in the HELL would you take an English Lit course if you don't like it?

It's actually pretty evident that you hate it or else you would be enthusiastic about reading crits of poetry.

IMO, it's your fault for taking something you don't like. You should have taken Audio Engineering or Mass Communications or something if you like music, not fucking Lit.

Your fault.

I did enjoy it....now I don't. Change of heart. So yes- it is my fault, but I clearly explained why I chose it earlier.
Page 1 of 3