right,so im good enough to be able to play tornado of souls...and my picking is good,i guess, but i cant do these monster speedpicking patterns/runs cuz i dont know how to construct them and i cant think of any songs to get familliar with that

can anyone suggest to me songs that have (possible) speedpicking runs to get familliar with how they are constructed (pretty please no power metal!!) and/or patterns/links to tutorials on how to construct speedpicking runs that sound impressive

thanks in advance!
Theres some awesome runs in the solos of Under a Glass Moon by Dream Theater

Actually, hell of a lot of Dream Theater songs have excellent runs in em, look em up.
petrucci is a bit of an animal though! :S i get scared of trying to play anything with his name on it! besides i know no keyboard players!
Simplest and most effective way to improve speed picking and hand coordination?

1. Get a metronome.
2. Set it slow.
3. Play scales in time with it using alternate picking.
4. Speed it up as you get better.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
what is a speedpicking run?

are you talking about a playing a scale fast?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
nope its not about playing fast scales....shredders layer scales in a certain way or play them with certain patterns and it has this ascending or descending sound,its not just ascending a scale but more complicated like.....grrr! im sure someone knows what i mean! the patterns have that distinctive sound to them!
Anything Paul Gilbert really. Try Scarified?

It's all muscle memory, once you can play it accurately slow, use a metronome and gradually build up speed.

Petrucci and Shawn Lane also said that you can try to play it as fast as you possibly can without regard to playing it cleanly and your fingers become used to that speed, which helps when you can't get past a certain speed.
Quote by Alijonroth
nope its not about playing fast scales....shredders layer scales in a certain way or play them with certain patterns and it has this ascending or descending sound,its not just ascending a scale but more complicated like.....grrr! im sure someone knows what i mean! the patterns have that distinctive sound to them!

There's not really any such thing as "speed picking", it's all just picking. A good guitarist doesn't do anything diifferently if they play faster, the picking motion is the same.

As far as the runs themselves go, they're often referred to as "braids" because you're linking the notes into each other. Basically you play a repeating pattern of a section of the scale, usually three or four notes at a time, and move it along the scale a degree at a time. A three note example descending in E minor would be something like this, works well as triplets.

e|-15-14-12---14-12------12--------------------------------------------------|
B|------------------15------15-13---15-13-12---13-12-----12------------------|
G|--------------------------------------------------14------14-12---14-12----|
D|------------------------------------------------------------------------14-|
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

As far as the runs themselves go, they're often referred to as "braids" because you're linking the notes into each other. Basically you play a repeating pattern of a section of the scale, usually three or four notes at a time, and move it along the scale a degree at a time. A three note example descending in E minor would be something like this, works well as triplets.

e|-15-14-12---14-12------12--------------------------------------------------|
B|------------------15------15-13---15-13-12---13-12-----12------------------|
G|--------------------------------------------------14------14-12---14-12----|
D|------------------------------------------------------------------------14-|
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

that's EXACTLY what i meant!! i wasnt asking how to play faster....i wanna know how to construct those Braids and their different types and possibly a coupla songs which have Doable examples of that
Off the top of my head pretty much anything by Iron Maiden, Love Gun by Kiss,
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com