I guess I can just copy and paste this from a message I sent to Deliriumbassist:

I've been a rhythm guitarist for the past 4 or so years and I have recently decided to renew my passion in music and music theory by playing the bass.

My budget is quite low (roughly $300-$400) and I was wondering how I could spend this money on some quality equipment. I am playing with a band with a moderately loud drummer and two guitarists using 50W amps. We plan on doing small gigs, but nothing too major.

I have played the Ibanez GSR200 and I really like the look and feel of it. I figured I could buy it second hand and maybe spend around $150.

My dilemma, however, is what amp to buy. I played the GSR200 through a 20W acoustic amp and, at half volume, it seemed loud enough to practice with (the practice room is quite close quarters.)

Like I said, we plan on doing small gigs, so I would like something with a bit more power, but also something that is not too expensive and can be carried around from practice to practice.

I have narrowed my options down to two amps:

Peavy MAX 112 Bass Combo - http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pe avey-MAX-112-Bass-Combo?sku=481446&src=3WPGWXX &ZYXSEM=0
and an Acoustic AB50 Acoustic Bass Combo - http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ac oustic-AB50-1x10-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=481621&a mp;src=3WPGWXX&ZYXSEM=0

If you could be kind enough as to let me know which you think is the better buy, I would be super grateful.

Also, if you have any other suggestions for either basses or amps, I am open to them.

Thanks in Advance,
- RG5EX1
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
Acoustic makes good amps if you don't have a lot of cash to spend, but methinks you are going to need to have more than 50watts

Acoustic B100 might be pushing it a little bit budget wise but worth looking into
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Nov 21, 2009,
Im actually looking at an Acoustic amp on MF, the B100. anyways, from what i've heard, Acoustic is a great brand.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Quote by justinb904
Acoustic makes good amps if you don't have a lot of cash to spend, but methinks you are going to need to have more than 50watts

this might be pushing it a little bit budget wise but worth looking into

Actually, my budget has increased slightly so I might consider that.

Would you recommend it?
Quote by imdeth

Quote by RG5EX1
Actually, my budget has increased slightly so I might consider that.

Would you recommend it?

Haven't had a chance to play it myself but it has good reviews and Acoustic amps in general have good reputation. I wouldn't recommend blindly buying it but but i would recommend trying it out to see if it sounds good to your ears.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
Haven't had a chance to play it myself but it has good reviews and Acoustic amps in general have good reputation. I wouldn't recommend blindly buying it but but i would recommend trying it out to see if it sounds good to your ears.

I've played out of an Acoustic 20W before and it sounded nice. I would assume that this amp would have very similar tone, just louder.

I would go and try it, but I am not really sure as to what to look for in a bass amp. Like I said in the OP, I am a rhythm guitarist looking to get into bass. I really don't know what is good and what is bad (other than the obvious extremes)
Quote by imdeth

Quote by justinb904

Acoustic B100 might be pushing it a little bit budget wise but worth looking into

the AB50 is much better, IMO.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom