Hey guys, I am trying to find the perfect bass this Christmas. Here is what I need... I play in a church worship band and really need something that is solid and can be a little funky as well. I do a lot of slapping so a good slap bass is important as well. I don't want to spend anything over 600 but I desperately need something better than my piece of crap Rogue I got like 5 years ago is a starter pack. Now that I am taking bass more seriously I need a reliable bass for when I am on stage. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help and ideas guys.
can you actually say crap when you're in a church worship band?
I'M A COWBOY
Quote by loaded_
can you actually say crap when you're in a church worship band?

I'm in 2 worship bands and I say "crap" and "dick" (as in being one) all the time.

I have a 5 string Rogue, but I've actually been impressed with what quality they do have for being so cheap.

Although I don't do slap and I'd like 5-6 strings and 24 frets, what would be a good bass for about the same price as TS is looking for?
Quote by aaciseric
But wouldn't all that be worth it to ride a zebra around campus? Perhaps dressed in chainmail? Maybe with a plastic sword and a wench who may or may not just be a prostitute?

a lot of slapping in church? (pardon my sarcasm - i'm a church bassist - but 'really'? [comment retracted if you're an evangelical american church])

i'm guessing 600$?
I've always thought musicman style basses were the ultimate slappers tool since you have so much room under the pickups. At that price you won't get a genuine ernie ball, but a good copy is going to get pretty close. this perhaps

i have an ibanez rd900fm, which seem to be hard to come by but are SUPERB, possible more flexible than you're looking for. The 900 is the upgrade of the 500, with custom pickups, better wood and a better general setup and quality check. the RD500 is definitely worth a look and if you like it the 900 is more worth tracking down than osama bin laden!

Lots of slap player use fender jazz basses too - they're easy to find, and you could probably find one for $600 if you looked around a bit. They're good basses - solid and quality, i think you probably know a fair bit about them.
No, no slapping in church, (I guess I should have been more clear about that!) but I'd like something that can be a solid bass for church and can play the way I want it to outside of the worship band. What do you guys think about the Ibanez SR530? I played the much cheaper SR300 and loved how it felt. Do you guys think it would be a good one to look into?
Thanks guys!
Ibanez's are both pretty solid. There definitely going to give you more of a modern tone, as opposed to a Fender which is going to give you more of a "vintage old school" type sound.
I think personally I dig the modern tone... I'm not sure how this compares but the last time I was playing in the music store I preferred how the Ibanez sounded over the Squier Jazz... I think I can afford something a little nicer so maybe I'll compare the Fender Mexican Jazz to the Ibanez SR530? I think the most positive thing here is that you guys are confirming where my head was at for the most part.
Ibanez ATK, Fender Aerodyne jazz, Fender Jazz.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
the atk has a great slapping sound.

So does the sr, albeit the string spacing takes a little getting used to. With a four string, you should be fine though.

I suggest the ibanez sr, the atk, and a jazz. Seems to me like you're leaning towards the ibanez.
Quote by doive

I've always thought musicman style basses were the ultimate slappers tool since you have so much room under the pickups. At that price you won't get a genuine ernie ball, but a good copy is going to get pretty close. this perhaps

You'd think that, but my Stingray is not that great for playing slap bass, and my bass teacher who used to own the same model agrees
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
gotta second the Ibanez atk
xbox live gamertag: phillips215