It seems like there is alot of different options as to how you can record. Like you can get an amp sim or a vst program to run them, have not done that before, seemed like it was confusing. So I've recorded through the Mic jack on my computer. The computer is some dell Optiplex something. Only used for recording in my studio. I seem to have better results than people predict... in my profile. I used a AudioTechinica dynamic mic, the worst possible dynamic mic you can think of, this is it., and the MXL 990/991 combo into a Behringer Xenyx 802. Then a mono out to my Mic jack.

Question is... What would be the optimal set up to get good quality recordings?

Amp simulation? or an interface? Upgraded sound card? I can filter through the stickes for any answers sorry.

I just bought an sm57 today. and the recordings improved drastically. Now its time to take the next step and improve some more.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Even with amp simulation you're going to want an interface for decent quality. The type of interface depends on what type and how many inputs you need and the general sound quality you are shooting for.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
ok, im going to need max 4 or 5 right now. My rig gets really good tone as it is, so i wouldnt want something like a pod, so my options would be a better sound card? Does the rest of the compy play a factor? If you know about computers, help me out. I am very literate in computers as well.

Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Some sounds are best recorded with the guitar direct A/D and run through a modelling VST (amp sim) or coming out of the USB of your fav rack/modelling pedal. Just depends on the specific sound you are looking for. A lot of my favorite tracks though are recorded in a studio with real amp(s) and often with a close range mic (SM57/Senn604/..) and a room mic using a large diaphram condenser to capture the sound at a listeners range further back in the room. Personally I don't see any reason to spend a lot of time setting up a nice studio style recording setup until you are far enough in the recording of a tune that you are sure you want to invest the time. If you know what you are doing you can get a lot of mileage out of Amplitube/PODs/GNX3K/etc. Of coure if you want to learn how to get a nice sound from a mic(s) and real amp then spend some time learning how to track a nice live sound. In general, the close mic/room mic approach is what most good recording engineers would use as a starting point for tracking a live sounding guitar track.
Main Rig:Yami Pac1412 TransRed (EVO, HS2, Hot Rails) ->Bad Horsie->GNX3K ->MagicStomp->L/R PA
Ampeg VL503, Ampeg V4, Digitech GNX2, Art SGX2K; AXES: Yam Pac1412 RedBurst & Weddington Custom & CPX-15W, '63 Gibson SG Custom & '80 ES-350T
Quote by OctoberWind
ok, im going to need max 4 or 5 right now. My rig gets really good tone as it is, so i wouldnt want something like a pod, so my options would be a better sound card? Does the rest of the compy play a factor? If you know about computers, help me out. I am very literate in computers as well.

What are the specs on your computer? The main thing will be a decent interface (I suggest a Presonus Firepod) that pretty much acts as a sound card so you won't need to upgrade that, you might need a firewire card though.

Last.fm
wow. I never took the time to get specs.
P4 at 800MHz. Weak.
1G mem.

Running XP, really light pc. Only things on it are GP5, Audacity, Magix Music Maker 14, and Itunes. Some other misc things im not sure of as well.

Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
I didn't even know you could get P4s at 800 mhz. You might want to look at getting a new comp before you start dropping a lot of money on an interface.

Last.fm
hang on a min. Your right, doesnt make any sense. Runs way to smooth to be 800 mhz. I pulled the specs off the dell site. Im in my room right now and I am way to lazy to go down and look. Optiplex 820 is what im pretty sure it is.

Rather, its a 280. Damn, I wish i paid more attention to dells. 3.0 Ghz CPU. This makes more sense.

Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
if it's a 3 GHZ then it should be fine, throw another gig of ram and a firewire card in there, get a nice interface and a better DAW and you will be good to go.

Last.fm
Quote by OctoberWind
P4 at 800MHz. Weak.
1G mem.

Running XP, really light pc. Only things on it are GP5, Audacity, Magix Music Maker 14, and Itunes. Some other misc things im not sure of as well.

If you're only recording or playing music on it, you could trim Windows XP down with XPlite to the bare minimum and save memory and cpu power, take out Internet Explorer, all the crummy backup and network services. You could even install a snappy, bare, stripped down Win98 with 98lite or nano98.

Just be aware that it's going to be back to DX instruments and effects and early VST plugins because current VST plugins definitely need some serious horsepower, roughly 1.6 GHz processors, double your own cpu.
Quote by OctoberWind
P4 at 800MHz. Weak.
1G mem.

I had two Compaq Ap550's (still running actually great pcs) but they were dual 866mhz ie two processors, they still struggled with modern recording - I could manage EzDrummer and one track of amp sim at a push.

I think the lowest you can go to run some of the modern plugins is a 3ghz processor really I wouldn't want to run any lower than that anymore because its just a struggle.

You need some serious pushing power for these things.
confirmed 3 Ghz. I was baffled for a sec there.

Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew