I've never noticed it until someone pointed out to me today but when I sing, I have to have my eyes closed. I tried singing with my eyes open and I sounded crap and I couldn't get my tounge round some more complicated lines. It seems that I am only able to sing well with my eyes closed.
Has anybody else encountered this strange phenomenon and if they have, why the hell does it happen?

EDIT: If somebody knows how I would go about it I could try uploading the two recordings I made to demonstrate my point.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Last edited by IDread at Nov 21, 2009,
Yeah I do it sometimes as well,

I guess its just from concentrating and trying to avoid any visual distraction
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Last edited by i_lovemetallica at Nov 21, 2009,
Quote by StringAssassin
I can't see you, you can't see me.

Did you start singing in a shower?

No I didn't start singing in the shower. I started singing as I walked places because I loved music but I was too poor to afford an MP3 player. I don't really know if I was any good back then mind you but I did have my eyes open.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Last edited by IDread at Nov 21, 2009,
No, can't say I have. Sometimes when I'm doing high screams, but not really/
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
My singing is terrible both ways, but yes, if I close my eyes I seem to be able to hit notes more accurately. It must just be because we concentrate more on sound when we have no visual stimuli to deal with, or something
🙈 🙉 🙊
I just always sound like shit. But I think I play a little better (Guitar) when I'm lying down or just not standing up. Its weird.....
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Nope, I can sing just fine with them open or closed.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
I was in choir for two years. Singing with my eyes closed wasn't an option.
Quote by entity0009
It must just be because we concentrate more on sound when we have no visual stimuli to deal with, or something

But this might be a good explanation.
Since I do the vocals in my band and also play guitar at the same time I know a lot about this subject. There are a lot of weird habits we musicians do that can't be explained. I'd say maybe you learned that way and you are so in habit of doing that exact 'tic' perse' that you have a mental block about it. Maybe you are afraid of people seeing you? I'm not too sure, but as with anything if you PRACTICE with your eyes open, even though it won't seem that anything will happen at first, eventually you will improve leaps and bounds!