I'm in a three piece band, and was wondering a couple questions.

A: In a song with two guitars harmonizing, how would it sound if a bass played one of the parts?

B: Has this ever been done?
I would try it and see what happens, the problem would be that in harmonizing with the guitar you would be neglecting the bassline.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I would try it and see what happens, the problem would be that in harmonizing with the guitar you would be neglecting the bassline.

This. It depends on how you do it. In the context of a guitar solo over a riff it wouldn't it work. But in the context of a a part where the drums cut out and the guitar and bass harmonize a part it can definitely work.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Yeah it'll work. As to losing the bass line, all it would do is add tension, that would be released when it comes back in. Or the other way around depending on your opinion.

In actually answering the questions,
1) Depends on the EQ, but it could sound very good. Seems like it would be similar to a (vocal) bass and alto/soprano harmonizing.

2) Yes. Schism is an ok example, in the beginning, and so is a lot of prog.
Last edited by Halakar at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by Alex Vik
I'm in a three piece band, and was wondering a couple questions.

A: In a song with two guitars harmonizing, how would it sound if a bass played one of the parts?

B: Has this ever been done?

A) Depends on how well it was done/how good your bassist is.

B) Yes. To insane degree's. Listen to Viraemia or brain drill for absolutely batshit insanity.
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by DeAd-RiP
A) Depends on how well it was done/how good your bassist is.

B) Yes. To insane degree's. Listen to Viraemia or brain drill for absolutely batshit insanity.

Ha, I don't know if what Viraemia/Brain Drill do can be considered harmony.

But seriously, I say give it a shot. It'll work (or not) depending on the song.
Quote by Halakar
2) Yes. Schism is an ok example, in the beginning, and so is a lot of prog.

Tbh that's more the guitar harmonizing with the bassline.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
There is an entire solo played in bass/guitar unison on Extreme's Cupid's Dead.
Quote by Mutant Corn
I think that was the point...those are the most popular body styles, and TS wants to know which one UG thinks is coolest.zAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

edit: my cat walked across my keyboard
Might be cool if you tapped a bass note then tapped a short harmonized part with your fretting hand.

+1 to adding tension. Great way to add contrast.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Halakar
Yeah it'll work. As to losing the bass line, all it would do is add tension, that would be released when it comes back in. Or the other way around depending on your opinion.

Or it could totally kill the groove, it depends on how it's done and what type of music you are playing.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I'm the guitarist in a band, and we do it all the time. Yes it works.

You don't lose anything from the bassline, I don't understand that, because you've still got the drummer keeping the groove. I suppose in my band, though, the guitar part is also following the grove- and it tends to be more the guitar harmonizing with the bass rather than the other way around.

...oh...and also we're a Doom band...
Quote by CurbstompBass
Ha, I don't know if what Viraemia/Brain Drill do can be considered harmony.

But seriously, I say give it a shot. It'll work (or not) depending on the song.

Well if you wanna look at it from a theoretical perspective it IS harmony just not in a sense that most people enjoy or deem even human.
I am me. Live with it.
Important question... what sort of music do you play?

The bass solo in orion (metallica) harmonizes with the guitar, and it sounds great. Possibly the only metallica tune I would say I like.

It can totally work though, it's been done many many times.
Quote by fleajr_1412
Tbh that's more the guitar harmonizing with the bassline.

That's why I said ok example rather than great, but the principle is still there.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Or it could totally kill the groove, it depends on how it's done and what type of music you are playing.

As long as the music is written well and the players do it well and confidently, it could be done in pretty much any style of music. What it really depends on is the skill of the musicians and the time they put in to perfect it.
Last edited by Halakar at Nov 22, 2009,
The Grudge by Tool from Lateralus has harmonics in it Justin Chanclor is just beast though so he can do that.
Quote by D_Dettinger
The Grudge by Tool from Lateralus has harmonics in it Justin Chanclor is just beast though so he can do that.

Kind of missed the point.

The discussion isn't about usage of harmonic nodes.
I am me. Live with it.
I harmonize with the guitar lines sometimes: I'm in a 4 piece (guitar,bass,drums,vox). If the EQ and FX (if you do use them) are right, it'll sound pretty good. At least in my opinion and the way I do it. But I don't this on any and every song: in most songs, grooves/scalar lines on the bass sound much better. I guess that's just the inherent nature of the bass: grooves sound cooler.
Edit: typo.
Last edited by edgarvanburen at Nov 24, 2009,
Because someone in said forum might have experience in the subject? Isn't that partly why we have such forums?
Go listen to Rush! NAO! I mean, of course bass can play lead lines, duh we are there for just being a bass in most bands but man you could mark a difference...
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
i did it with my band in more of a jam rock kinda way. But yes it works very nice if your EQ is right. In fact sometimes it sounds better than guitar harmonies.
Listen to some L'Arc En Ciel. The bassist carries most of the harmony in their songs, with the guitarist mainly taking a back seat.

On the other hand, I believe that you should only do it when the time is right for you to play 'shred' stuff. Like the ending of a solo, or random snippets of it, instead of playing throughout.
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.