*Okay well first off i wasn't really sure which section to put this in so i just decided to put it here. Sorry if it is in the wrong place =/
So i have band and we want to practice in my garage, butttt we dont want the neighbors complaining or calling the cops or anything so i'm curious of the various ways i could soundproof my garage walls WITHOUT having to do any construction. Im looking for cheap, simple ways to achieve this. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, thanks
Spend thousands of dollars on soundproofing equipment.

Uhh.. stick mattresses against the wall, hang blankets from the ceiling an inch away from the wall, completely cover the wall with egg cartons, put lots of clothes and soft thick things everywhere, turn your amps down and give the drummer dampeners to put on his drums.

EDIT: If theres any windows in the garage focus on them.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Last edited by Faux~Affliction at Nov 21, 2009,
lots of egg cartons on the walls
carpet on the walls
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by Faux~Affliction
Spend thousands of dollars on soundproofing equipment.

Uhh.. stick mattresses against the wall, hang blankets from the ceiling an inch away from the wall, completely cover the wall with egg cartons, put lots of clothes and soft thick things everywhere, turn your amps down and give the drummer dampeners to put on his drums.

that.
Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
You'll never soundPROOF it, the best you can do is dampen the sound. Thick fabric all around the walls, egg carton type material, that sort of thing, on the cheap.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
like hang curtains and put up pointy foam on the walls and damnpen the drummers drums
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
The walls are probably not the main area of sound leak you will have. Depending on the material of course.

The garage door and any windows would be the largest leaks. I would look at getting some insulating foam like this Or I guess just going to town with blankets, couch cushions; anything that will absorb a lot of sound.

Carpeting on the floors or some sort of sound absorber on the ceiling can also help to stop a lot sound from bouncing around inside of the garage.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
thanks alot so far guys. and yea, i didnt mean completely soundPROOF it, i meant just dampen the sound like you guys mentioned.
Egg cartons won't really sound proof anything. They are mostly used to improve the acoustics in the room.
EDIT: Use lots of heavy blankets, matresses and anything else that is thick and made of fabric/foam/anything similar.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Yea I would buy alot of foam and wrap it in blankets and just cover your garage wall with it. No matter what you do theres still gonna be SOME sound heard from outside. But doing that will atleast keep your neighbors a little happier.
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2
Quote by BaffAttack
You'll never soundPROOF it, the best you can do is dampen the sound. Thick fabric all around the walls, egg carton type material, that sort of thing, on the cheap.

This. Without construction, you cannot soundPROOF. Hanging crap on the wall dampens and reduces reverberation, but it won't help keep the sound in the garage as much as you'd think. A friend of mine turned his garage into a jam room and put acoustic soundproof foam in between his drywall.
My mom works for an audiologist and he told me the best and cheapest soundproofing material is actually cardboard.
^Multiple layers of that should be good for sound absorption. Still would be optimal to also have sound blockage, too. I don't know what the city ordination is around you is like, but in San Diego, as long as you aren't plainly audible from 50 feet away, you're fine and well within the law. Within reasonable hours, of course. Now, whether your neighbors will appreciate you or not is anoter question....
best thing to keep in mind is to simply NOT PLAY AT OBNOXIOUS LEVELS.
if you can keep your drummer from being rediculously loud, then you wont need to worry too much.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
OK, now for the reality check regarding this situation.

There is NOTHING you can do to effectively soundproof your garage for"cheap".
Sorry bud, it just ain't gonna happen.

Nevermind how loud the guitar and bass will be, the drums alone will be heard from a half block away.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
density. you need density.

things like eggcrate will cause diffusion/dispersion/deflection, but for true absorption (what you need to keep the neighbors happy) you need high density material.

thick quilts are fine, but you'll need them about 6' thick or thicker EVERYWHERE. that's a lot of quilts, and you still haven't touched the main culprit...

guesses anyone?

the concrete floor of your garage (hint: break out the toolbox, buy some sheets of plywood and a bunch of 2x4's, learn how to use a hammer and float EVERYTHING!).
name me some fireproof materials for soundproofing pls?
tired of finger speed exercise and turned into slow blues improvisation lately
It's the bass frequencies that really carry and can be heard outside the room, as anyone who's ever been on the floor below a party will know.

So try making a 'floating platform' for the drum kit (and maybe bass amp).
Find a nice sturdy wooden board big enough to set up the drum kit on, then place it on top of a thick layer of soft insulating material (rockwool, carpet, duvet etc). It helps stop the vibrations from the bass drum carrying through the floor as much.

Also, mineral wool/rockwool is some of the best sound insulation you can get, and can be commonly bought as loft insulation. A few large strips of this against the doors/windows will stop a lot of the sound getting out, and will also reduce the reverb in the room so the band sounds better.

Don't get me wrong though - you can take steps to reduce the volume levels but you're never going to be jamming at 3AM! Complete soundproofing in unbelieveably costly and would involve enormous changes to your garage.
bass traps. billions of em. everwhere. isolate everything on the ground by covering the floor with a shit ton of wood then use hocky pucks and make a sandwich really with another layer of wood. the hockypucks will diffuse the bass. and most of the sound. proably would have to do this with the walls too. so find another place to practice go rent out a storage unit