Page 1 of 2
I enjoy the act of smoking a cigarette, but I really don't experience much of an effect from them. So I'd like to be able to smoke with my friends every once and a while, but I definitely don't want to make it a habit or anything. My two basic questions are: What is the most often I could smoke without presenting myself with the risk of addiction or with any serious health problems down the line? And what kind of cigarettes should I smoke to ensure the least health risks?

I did a quick search for other threads like this and didn't find any, but my apologies if there's already one out there that I missed.
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Quote by Somarriba15
yeah, gamecube sucks, they only have baby games, like mario
You sir have no penis

Official Second Member of the "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club. PM jesusgonewrong to join.
Last edited by Aceroth at Nov 22, 2009,
Ok first off, you are going to hear this from people for and against smoking: addiction comes from the first cigarette.

Second, there is no such thing as a cigarette that is less healthy or more healthy. They all suck.

Third, I am a smoker. I smoke about 4 cigs a day. After doing that for about 2 years now, I can definitely feel it on my lungs. I have felt it for about a year now.

If you want to smoke occasionally, smoke no more than one a day. If you start smoking any more than that you will get addicted, if you don't already count one a day an addiction.

And lastly, no one here is going to supply "correct" answers. My answers aren't even "correct".

Just use your brain. You should know when to stop.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Quote by ScottElwood
Ok first off, you are going to hear this from people for and against smoking: addiction comes from the first cigarette.

Uh I only smoke when I'm around my pals that do, and im in no way addicted, even though in my estimate ive smoked 10 or so cigarettes in the past month or so I can live without them.
love is love // return to dust
at least you acknowledge peer pressure!

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
seeing as how even just second hand smoke can screw up your lungs...

i'd have to say never for the first question, and keep your money for the second one.
to be addicted you have to have tolerance, dependence, and symptoms of withdrawal. if you aren't experiencing withdrawals, then you aren't addicted.
Quote by tancanada
Uh I only smoke when I'm around my pals that do, and im in no way addicted, even though in my estimate ive smoked 10 or so cigarettes in the past month or so I can live without them.

Well that's good to hear.

I can absolutely remember my first real cigarette. I mean real as in I smoked it right. I went through several without feeling a thing, then a buddy of mine introduced me to how you breathe it in, and I felt like I was drunk as hell for 5 minutes. I seriously couldn't drive after I smoked one.

Three years later and it will take 4 cigs in a row to get to that point, of which by that time I am nauseous.

So I guess if you can smoke one cig, and still actually feel the effects in a more than mild form, then you aren't "addicted".

But seriously, I have to be the devils advocate and say that it is an addiction no matter what.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
I smoke sometimes but am not addicted. I think I had about 2 this month but sometimes if I'm out drinking I 'll smoke a whole pack...then feel like shitt the next day.
If you buy a pack, you're ****ed. took me a hair short of 5 years to finally quit.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
The addiction from the first cigarette thing is bs. I smoke every now and again but I haven't even had a cigarette in about a week and in no way did I feel any sort of withdrawal symptoms at all. I can't even say that I miss them at all! Cigarettes are no different than any other drug, you must use them frequently to gain an addiction.
Jeff Loomis

Myspace.com/geneticbydesign
I smoke twice a week, tops. I haven't had one in a month or so. I use them to relieve stress, and to just make myself feel cool. Yeah, I admit it, smoking makes me feel cool. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

It's no bigger health risk than walking down the street with car exhaust blowing up your nostrils, if you only do it every once in a while. Don't get too broken up about it.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Okay, first off, I made a typo in my post that may have changed the implication. That's fixed now, so basically it says "I don't feel an effect" when I smoke, and that's probably because I don't inhale it. Which is because I don't want to inhale, because I'm certain that's worse for me. Also, I'm not so much worried about getting addicted as worried about any health risks associated with smoking no more than once a week. So, hypothetically, if I were to smoke only once a week, would I likely experience any noticeable health risks? I'm under the impression that the effects would be negligible, but if anyone has first-hand experience to back that up (or refute it), that would be great.

EDIT: I've also heard that cigarettes without additives are better for you. This seems like common sense, so I buy it. Are there any other attributes I should look for that lessen the health detriments?
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Quote by Somarriba15
yeah, gamecube sucks, they only have baby games, like mario
You sir have no penis

Official Second Member of the "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club. PM jesusgonewrong to join.
Last edited by Aceroth at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by Aceroth
Okay, first off, I made a typo in my post that may have changed the implication. That's fixed now, so basically it says "I don't feel an effect" when I smoke, and that's probably because I don't inhale it. Which is because I don't want to inhale, because I'm certain that's worse for me. Also, I'm not so much worried about getting addicted as worried about any health risks associated with smoking no more than once a week. So, hypothetically, if I were to smoke only once a week, would I likely experience any noticeable health risks? I'm under the impression that the effects would be negligible, but if anyone has first-hand experience to back that up (or refute it), that would be great.

EDIT: I've also heard that cigarettes without additives are better for you. This seems like common sense, so I buy it. Are there any other attributes I should look for that lessen the health detriments?

If you don't inhale, there are no health risks. The harmful chemicals and addictive properties have no way of entering your blood stream.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by ScottElwood
Well that's good to hear.

I can absolutely remember my first real cigarette. I mean real as in I smoked it right. I went through several without feeling a thing, then a buddy of mine introduced me to how you breathe it in, and I felt like I was drunk as hell for 5 minutes. I seriously couldn't drive after I smoked one.

Three years later and it will take 4 cigs in a row to get to that point, of which by that time I am nauseous.

So I guess if you can smoke one cig, and still actually feel the effects in a more than mild form, then you aren't "addicted".

But seriously, I have to be the devils advocate and say that it is an addiction no matter what.

One thing my doctor told me too. Some people have apparently got some lung 'condition' as it were or some predisposition which means basically the damage from things is multiplyed significantly, around 50% so someone on 10 a month = 20 a month, not really bad but imagine someone smoking like 60 a day :|
I smoke twice a week, tops. I haven't had one in a month or so. I use them to relieve stress, and to just make myself feel cool. Yeah, I admit it, smoking makes me feel cool. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

It's no bigger health risk than walking down the street with car exhaust blowing up your nostrils, if you only do it every once in a while. Don't get too broken up about it.

You have zero clue what you're talking about. Once you realize that your lungs are in rough shape after half a decade of smoking continuously, you don't feel cool. At all. It's a terrible addiction, it's great that you haven't gone through it, but give me a ****ing break you clueless rag, smoking was great for a while. But once you reach that point, when you realize you don't like that you are paying money to slowly kill your body and you can seriously feel it, it becomes terrible to quit. The withdrawal symptoms are sooooo obnoxious and on your mind all the time. It's very difficult to kick an addiction to nicotine.

If you don't inhale, there are no health risks. The harmful chemicals and addictive properties have no way of entering your blood stream.

How can you be so painfully ignorant? It's common knowledge that smoking is a cause of mouth cancers of various types, and smoking without inhaling is a great way to fast-track to dentures. Leukoplakia and erythroplakia are other mouth diseases associated with smoking. Leukoplakia are white and thickened patches. Erythroplakia are red patches, sometimes bleeding. Both leukoplakia and erythroplakia, if left untreated, become cancer.

Give me a break, chump.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Last edited by Ace88 at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by Ace88
You have zero clue what you're talking about. Once you realize that your lungs are in rough shape after half a decade of smoking continuously, you don't feel cool. At all. It's a terrible addiction, it's great that you haven't gone through it, but give me a ****ing break you clueless rag, smoking was great for a while. But once you reach that point, when you realize you don't like that you are paying money to slowly kill your body and you can seriously feel it, it becomes terrible to quit. The withdrawal symptoms are sooooo obnoxious and on your mind all the time. It's very difficult to kick an addiction to nicotine.

I could go outside and get hit by a bus and be killed instantaneously, but I still go outside. Why? Because the outside is fun.

Stop taking life so seriously, we're all just going to die anyway.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I guess the addiction factor varies from person to person. I smoked pretty consistently for about a week and a half and during that time I even smoked 7 cigs in a day once. I didn't get addicted at all and I haven't smoked in about 3 weeks.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
I could go outside and get hit by a bus and be killed instantaneously, but I still go outside. Why? Because the outside is fun.

Stop taking life so seriously, we're all just going to die anyway.

With the depth of knowledge you apparently possess, yeah sure you could probably get hit by a bus. Dude that's such a stupid example it's not even funny. Public transit is an ordered system with foregone conclusions, like you getting on the bus, or off, or you crossing the road while the bus is at a light or something. Smoking is a real gamble with your life, departing from foregone conclusions to question marks like gee, will i live to see my kids grow up? Will i even live long enough to have kids? Hundreds of Thousands of cigarette-related deaths occur every year in North America alone. It's great that you're so blissful in your own world, but not knowing doesn't mean that smoking still isn't terrible for you. Any real smoker will tell you the effects are very apparent and destructive.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Last edited by Ace88 at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by ChucklesMginty
You won't be an infrequent smoker for long...
If you're really worried about getting addicted, smoking socially is a big risk.
But once every few weeks or so, you'll be fine, and if your friends all smoke there'll be a big smoke intake anyway.

not necessarily ive been an infrequent smoker for over a year now and i have yet to get cravings
Quote by Ace88
With the depth of knowledge you apparently possess, yeah sure you could probably get hit by a bus. Dude that's such a stupid example it's not even funny. Public transit is an ordered system with foregone conclusions, like you getting on the bus, or off, or you crossing the road while the bus is at a light or something. Hundreds of Thousands of cigarette-related deaths occur every year in North America alone. It's great that you're so blissful in your own world, but not knowing doesn't mean that smoking still isn't terrible for you. Any real smoker will tell you the effects are very apparent and destructive.

I'm not debating it's harmfulness, it's simply the fact that I don't care. I choose to smoke, and so do those who die. They knew the risks, took them, and died. If you're expecting me to feel empathy you are sorely mistaken.

The fact that you are so hostile is also rather amusing. Accept that not everyone thinks the same way you do, and move on.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Last edited by Wulphy at Nov 22, 2009,
The best way is to not smoke. And what effect do you expect? They aren't meant to have an effect
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Man, I used to smoke. I just quit a few months ago so I could buy a new guitar with the money and you shouldn't take it up unless you want an eccuse to sbuy a talor.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I've smoked infrequently, as in really infrequently and it doesn't really affect me much. I also only smoke cigars and I don't inhale. Last I smoked was about a month ago, and the last time before that was about four months before that.

Even smoking that infrequently, there are still times when I feel like, "man, I want a cigar".

Seeing as I'm either not a bitch or not addicted at all... I just choose not to smoke.

If you're capable of honestly making the choice to not smoke when you want one, and only smoke every few months... I think you'll be fine. Make no mistake that they still can't do any good for you, and you still pose a risk to addiction, cancers of the mouth, lungs and throat, and you even subject yourself to the risk of emphysema.

Just don't do it that often, like... REALLY not that often.

One last thing, there is no such thing as a "safe" cigarette, don't waste your time trying to find one. Cigars smell and taste better anyway .
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by Wulphy
I'm not debating it's harmfulness, it's simply the fact that I don't care. I choose to smoke, and so do those who die. They knew the risks, took them, and died. If you're expecting me to feel empathy you are sorely mistaken.

The fact that you are so hostile is also rather amusing. Accept that not everyone thinks the same way you do, and move on.

If you don't give a damn about whether you live or not, that's cool.
But you did say that there are no health risks if you don't inhale, and it was pointed out that this is not the case. No ones arguing whether or not living is worth it or not, but don't tell this guy what isn't right.
Not a huge fan of bees
Personally, I think it really depends on the person. For example, I gave up cold turkey about a week ago, and I haven't really been affected that much. I'm a bit more tired than usual, that's about it. But there are other I know who couldn't go a day without having at least one.

Smoking isn't a good thing, I say, don't bother, save your money.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Roll your own cigarettes. Most bagged tobacco doesn't really have nicotine in it
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
why would you spend money to do something that has no effects and kills you?? i never understood that......
Quote by funny_page
why would you spend money to do something that has no effects and kills you?? i never understood that......

i think it's funny how many people in this thread think that cigarettes don't have any effect.

but it really depends on the person as far as addiction goes. i smoke once or twice every few days, don't feel any ill effects if i don't smoke for a few weeks.

it's all about knowing your limits and being responsible.
I used to smoke a few once or twice a week when drinking but I realised tobacco does nothing for me and is a waste of money. The occasional joint is so much better.
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
answer to question one: anything less than 5 packs a day is perfectly safe

answer to question two: unfiltered Camels.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I feel I'm somewhat addicted as I've come to associate a drunken mind frame with smoking. So every now and then I'll buy a deck whilst intoxicated and smoke away.
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by Confusius
Don't smoke baccie, smoke weed.

this is also a more than acceptable substitute for tobacco
I'd never smoke in a million years. Seeing a man in hospital with throat cancer who'd had his voicebox taken out assured that to me.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
I only smoke when given them by friends and I never buy them, nor am I addicted.
I have smoked a fair bit in the last month because I am just trying to go with the flow/enjoy life for a while until uni starts.
I will probably stop accepting them soon anyway, smoking does nothing for me too.
I really do think smoking threads should be banned.

I have no problem with smokers or anti-smokers, i smoke once a week. I do however, have a problem with the stupid arguments in every single smoking thread.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Why not instead of smoking, put the money you would've put towards cigarettes in a jar and see how much money you have in there after two months?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Page 1 of 2