Page 1 of 2
As we all know, Christmas is coming up soon.
Every year, I get to ask for up to $300 of gifts .
I want to Expand my pedalboard this year, and I ultimately want to take out my Line6 Floor Pod.
Currently, the only pedal, other thanthe Floor Pod, is a Digitech Whammy.

Here is my plan, Ask for Behringer Pedals, but, I will eventually upgrade them, into higher quality pedals. (As soon as I pay off my New Guitar, which cost $1200, 700 left to go )

I just really want to get a feel for all the different types of effects, and whatnot.

So, Behringer, Yay or Nay?
..I was watching my death.
well, you already have a multi fx so you know what effects you like the most, right? invest that 300 in quality versions of your favorite effects. skip on the behringers with your budget.
Alright, my multi-effects processor does suck(although, it does have a nice distotion).
I still don't even know how to access the secondary functions.

I suppose I also have Behringer V-Ampire LX1200H, which is a modelling amp.

Only problem is, my Parents would like to shop locally, but none of the local places have websites which list their products prices, and I need to know the products exact pricing. I know that all of the pedals I want are all 40-50 bucks each(Clearance).

Should I ditch one of the 5 chosen pedals, and add a $100 pedal into the list? How does Line 6 sound to you?
P.S. I am in Canada, prices are extremely high for no apparent reason.

Oh, And Here's what I got so far, in a list, w/ links.

DISTORTION MODELER DM100
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DM100.aspx
ULTRA FEEDBACK/DISTORTION FD300
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FD300.aspx

HEAVY DISTORTION HD300
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/HD300.aspx

ULTRA CHORUS UC200
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UC200.aspx

PREAMP/BOOSTER PB100
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/PB100.aspx

I know there is 3 Distortion. I am quite aware.
1 is a Classic Rock Crunch Pedal,
1 is a Lead/feedback Pedal,
1 Is a Heavy Metal Rythm Pedal.

If I were to remove 1 from that list, to replace, would be the Heavy Metal Rythm one, to be replaced with one of Higher Quality.
Quote by GrisKy
use the money to help pay off your guitar?

I refuse too.
It is a personal goal, that I must complete, On my own. I want to work my ass off for the guitar, hey, maybe in the process I might get a job(Been getting funds through selling stuff, Go-Kart, Tenor Saxaphone used in Gr.7 band)
What would you say to Boss Pedals?
I believe they are a step up from Behringer.
Quote by timbit2006

It really depends on which ones.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by timbit2006

not really. they're a step up construction wise, but as far as effect quality they're basically on par with eachother.
I've changed my Venue to AxeMusic, whixh has everything I originally wanted, but has a shit search function.

So far, I've got Digitech Metal Master.

EDIT: Also the Behringer Feedback/Distortion pedal(Very cheap, mainly used just for making controlled feedback)
Last edited by timbit2006 at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by timbit2006
So far, I've got Digitech Metal Master.

That would would be a fail, good sir. What kind of amp do you play? Let me guess....

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
That would would be a fail, good sir. What kind of amp do you play? Let me guess....

What is bad about the Digitech Metal Master?

I use a 1977 Ampeg VT-40.
Sure as hell is no Spider, although, I do own a Spider II

Suggest me a better low-end distortion in that general $100-$150 Price range.

EDIT: Ibanez Tone-Lok DS7 Distortion Thoughts?
Oh wow, kudos on the amp! I was not expecting that, that's a sick amp.
If you're looking for metal tones in that price range, there are almost no options that actually sound very good. They are all generally thin, harsh and nothing like good amp distortion. What I suggest doing is finding a Boss MT-2 (new or used) and then modding it down the line sometime (Keeley, Monte Allums, etc - I prefer Monte Allums).

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
If you're looking for metal tones in that price range, there are almost no options that actually sound very good. They are all generally thin, harsh and nothing like good amp distortion. What I suggest doing is finding a Boss MT-2 (new or used) and then modding it down the line sometime (Keeley, Monte Allums, etc - I prefer Monte Allums).

Thanks, My Dad had the amp, when he bought it when he was roughly my age. After about 6-12 years of it being played, his guitar got stolen, so, the amp sat around in the garage for up untill last year.
To bad it doesn't have the panel on the top, seeing as that is more of a collecters item, rather than the front-mount.
It still has all the original tubes, Never replaced. I am seeing signs that the tubes need to be replaced(Volume fluxuations are the main thing).

There is a Boss Metal Zone at a local pawn shop, that I've been having my eye on, I think it's 50 bucks. I would not be afraid to mod it at all, seeing as I have some experience in that area.

EDIT: What is the difference Between the Ibanez Tone-Lok Tube Screamer, and the Regular Ibanez Tube-Screamer? other than the price?
I would totally do that then, especially if you are confident in your modding abilities. MT-2s actually sound really good when modded, especially through a good amp. Do it.
EDIT: ^ The quality of the case and components and I also believe that there are minor circuit differences.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Alright. The Metal-Zone is surely on my list of stuff to buy with extra Christmas money, from Aunties and Grandma.
My Parents do not like the idea of buying used stuff to give as gifts. (Very Strange).

I still have approximately $100 left to fill. I gotta Leech the most gifts that I can from the $300, which is average gift price(Normally it is $200, but I suppose since this is for Music, and my Parents encourage that, I get more)
For distortion I highly recommend the Behringer VD1. Its essentially a big muff clone, and it has a metal enclosure, unlike the usual Behringer pedals.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Quote by ub3r_bassist666
For distortion I highly recommend the Behringer VD1. Its essentially a big muff clone, and it has a metal enclosure, unlike the usual Behringer pedals.

I think I will get that.
My Math Tutor(Who is also a guitarist) has 2 of the Behringer Electro-Harmonix Clones.
Vintage Time Machine, and Vintage Phaser. They both sound amazing, except, the Vintage Phaser contantly makes the Phaser sound, if you have no volume on the guitar.

EDIT:

Thanks everyone for your help. I've got a shopping basket here.

... That's gay. My internet froze, and I lost the basket data.

EDITx2: You have got to be kidding me... It froze, right as I typed down the list, and pressed save changes...
If you get the VM1, tell me what its like. I really want it to be good lol
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS

You should ask ianae86(sp?), he has one.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS

Will do. I can also do a side-by-side comparison, My Math Tutors got a Big Muff(not sure of country)

I most likely will be uploading clips of all these pedals, making some contributions to UG, rather than making threads like these.
My eyes are getting blurry, It's getting late. I apologize if I make mistakes in my final attempt to upload this list.

1 x Behringer ULTRA FEEDBACK DISTORTION FD300 Effects Pedal

1 x Digitech X Series Metal Master Heavy Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal

1 x Behringer VD1 Vintage Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal

1 x Ibanez Tone Lok DS7 Distortion Guitar Effect Pedal

1 x Behringer DIGITAL REVERB/DELAY DR400 Stereo Effects Pedal

Total: $ 295.13
Tax: $ 14.76
With Tax: $ 309.89

I am still open to suggestions

Please work this time!
Oh, and, it froze again. There is some unatural force not wanting me to post this. I was smart and copied and pasted my writing to a word document,
Was I the only one that felt slight discomfort reading these posts?
What kind of tone are you going for and what bands would you like to sound like?

If I were you I'd buy that used Metalzone (or whatever. It's gonna suck but it's a decent price and it'll get you into real heavy tones if that's what you're into.) EDIT: As someone else had posted, the VD-1 is a big muff clone in a metal encasing. Get either the used metalzone or the VD-1. THAT'S IT!

Then spend the rest of the money on REAL pedals. Behringer is crap, you've already got a Line 6 pod, it's effects are going to sound equal if not better than Behringers'.
If you want a phaser get like an MXR Phase 90. I'd look at the Hardwire series of pedals for effects too, they're great.
But don't buy more than one distortion/overdrive pedal, that's COMPLETELY unnecessary, a complete waste of all that money especially because most of those are horrible pedals. Again, COMPLETELY unnecessary.. I'm almost begging you not to buy all those distortion/overdrive pedals.

No dinking around with plastic toys, may as well move up into standard pedal brands.

EDIT: Sorry if I sound sort of like an ass, but I REALLY don't want you to buy any of those pedals.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Last edited by Faux~Affliction at Nov 22, 2009,
I'll vouch for Behringer, they make good pedals in my book.

I've owned a PH-9 Phaser for almost a year, not a single problem, sounds great for what I bought it for (Phase 90 emulation).

I've owned my Behringer DD400 Digital Delay even longer, it's one of those super-cheap plastic case pedals, I've not had a problem with that one either.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Ooops, I made a mistake. The Ibanez Tone-Lok, is suppoesed to be not a distortion, but... Damnit, forgot the name!

I'll sort it out tomorrow. Brains don't think clearly at 1:20 AM.
Gotta wake up earlier tomorrow too. Goodnight.

EDIT: I always use a Crunch-like sound before my Distortion pedal. Always. Er, I mean My Distortion then goes into my tube amp, getting that Tube Crunch sound.

EDITx2: This thread has gone off-topic so much. I like it being that way.
Okay well, what kind of bands are you trying to emulate? What kind of music do you play?
That'd REALLY help us figure out what pedals you should buy.
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Faux~Affliction
But don't buy more than one distortion/overdrive pedal, that's COMPLETELY unnecessary, a complete waste of all that money especially because most of those are horrible pedals. Again, COMPLETELY unnecessary.. I'm almost begging you not to buy all those distortion/overdrive pedals.

That is not true at all, although in this case I would agree.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by timbit2006

EDIT: Also the Behringer Feedback/Distortion pedal(Very cheap, mainly used just for making controlled feedback)

Utter crap and a complete waste of money - doesn't actually create feedback, just some weird noise that wouldn't be out of place in a 60's sci-fi show.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Have a look at the Digitech Hardwire series the metal distortion and looper are the ones i have they are very nice.
Quote by timbit2006

P.S. I am in Canada, prices are extremely high for no apparent reason.

Quit yo bitchin' boy! Come to Australia to buy some gear and then try tell me that Canada's too expensive.

Anyway, Behringer pedals are quite crap, i would avoid them like AIDS. Plus the big muff clone is called the VD-1, do you REALLY want VD?

I say that you should get your gift money, adsd in a little of your own and buy a few good pedals off ebay. Personally i find no reason not to buy pedals used, when they come much cheaper and in good condition why wouldn't you?

Now answer what effects you need or if you don't know, what sounds your trying to accomplish?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
I'll toss my hat in with a modded mt-2.

and if you don't want to buy used, you can get the twilightzone directly from keeley new+mod... might actually be cheaper than buying the used mt-2 at $50 once you factor in shipping. of course, you can aways talk down a pawn shop... ???

+1 for not wasting your money on sh!ty fx... save up for the good stuff. you'll have one hellova rig once it's all said and done.
Well, to answer everyones main question,
I am trying to accomplish a great Rythm Sound, wich has a very good Low-End, but with Nice Mids.
I want 2 distortion Pedals, for a very Specific Reason.
1 for my Low-End Rythm, and 1 For a more Trebly sound, with good mids.

I also want a Boost Pedal, to significantly boost my signal, and Ultimately make me sound more out of the mix, when doing live shows.

I need 1 Delay/Echo Pedal, which will be lightly used, If it's going to be expensive, I want them both in 1 pedal.

That final list that I made is a bit screwed up. It's got some old stuff in it, from a while ago, along with some new stuff.

I am also not trying to copy any bands sound. I have my own sound, that I like.
Hopefully that is enough info.
Quote by timbit2006
I am also not trying to copy any bands sound. I have my own sound, that I like.
Hopefully that is enough info.

Well kind of

Not sure of pricing but how about the Blackstar pedals? They sound awesome. If you're willing to limit the pedals you get as well you could get these:

Blackstar HT-Dist/DistX + Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT-Dual
Barber Dirty Bomb + Digitech Bad Monkey

Or any of those with a Danelectro Fish N Chips to get the exact sound you want.
Then you get your distortion for the rythm tones & an OD to push it further for lead tones.

EDIT: Also catalianbread (sp?) Dirty Little Secret will stack really well with an OD/EQ as well and judging from ragingkitty's review it would be good for the tones you want.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Last edited by SimplyBen at Nov 22, 2009,
Oh, another thing,
I am True Bypass modding all of these, and am making a true bypass pedal switcher, which I have the Schematic for in a GP mag.

I bevieve Blacktar pedals are qute expensive, I'll see what the pricing is on them.
Quote by timbit2006

I am True Bypass modding all of these

You should keep a buffered bypass at the begining of your chain though, because true pedals can suck some tone too if you don't have any buffer in there. I'm speaking from personal experience herw, when I have an all true-bypass chain in front of my amp in sounds so sterile, but when I adda buffer at the begining of the front, all the clarity and brightness is back

edit: And yes Blackstar are expensive and they don't have a dealer in Canada, so forget about buying them locally
Last edited by Sguit at Nov 22, 2009,
I really think you shouldn't expect to get a pedal board out of $300. I'm in the uk, so I don't know how much pedals go for in Canada, but if I were you I'd just get a really decent distortion/od pedal with a danelectro fish'n'chips like another guy said. I'd go with a overdrive. If you do, you can use the fish'n'chips to boost lead work or just use it to shape your tone overall aswell as having your nice dirt box.

Modulation and delays and things shouldn't be on your list right now, you should be building the foundations of your sound - and that starts with a nice clean, and a solid dirty sound that you can rely on to get most of the sound you want. And even then you can play about with it with your EQ. Then maybe use some birthday money to start on another pedal that you've decided you need. And also, your tonal preference will grow and mature as you work with your first pedals, and you will learn alot more about the way you interact with your equipment, which leads to better choices later on.

If you can, I say go for one of those black star OD/Dist pedals and the fish'n'chips. In fact, I'm pretty sure there is a blackstar pedal that has one stompbox dist and one OD in the same pedal, which means you have even more things to play with.

I'm not the most experienced with gear, but I think that's pretty good advice. One thing to remember is to never buy a bunch of cheap pedals instead of one or two really good one, cause later on you'll be kicking yourself.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
MXR M-109 Six Band Graphic EQ Guitar Effects Equalizer Pedal - M109
Any thoughts on this?
My behringer pedals have been great/reliable. The Vintage Distortion, Vintage Time Machine, and DD400 digital delay have been a great addition to my pedal board.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
The 10-band MXR is considered to be quite a bit more useful but if you REALLY REALLY need to save your cash that badly then go for it.
Also, "1 for my Low-End Rythm, and 1 For a more Trebly sound, with good mids."
That's what having more than one pickup is for dude. Just combine the money you'd otherwise spend and put it into ONE real nice distortion pedal. Also overdriving the amps tubes with an OD pedal with a distortion pedal on top of that really won't do too much more than having only the distortion pedal will do.
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
I took the Overdrive off my list, a Long time ago...

What I meant by the "1 for my lowend rythm, and treble" thing, What I meant by that, is a pedal with great lows, and a pedal with great highs.
Hard to explain it.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD

I agree with the Keeley or Monte Allums modded MT2 idea.

Alternatively...

Protones Skumstortion
Protones Body Rot 2
Wampler Triple Wreck Distortion
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
I agree with the Keeley or Monte Allums modded MT2 idea.

Alternatively...

Protones Skumstortion
Protones Body Rot 2
Wampler Triple Wreck Distortion

I would buy those just because the name sounds sweet, but that would be stupid.
Axemusic also doesn't carry those brands.
They carry:
|| Bbe || Behringer || Boss || Damagecontroll || Danelectro || Digitech || E-bow || Fishman || Furman || H&k || Ibanez || Jim dunlop || Korg || Krank || Line6 || Marshall || Moog || Morley || Morpheus || Mxr || Radial || Rockcase || Rocktron || Roland || Seymour duncan || Tc electronics || Vox || Zoom

Also, the Boss Metal Zone at the Pawn shop, is not an MT-2,
Do they make Red Metal Zones?
Page 1 of 2